Another completed MOC hailing from Thirdwiggville. Based on the old and ugly (can I say that?) U90, which sees little love in these parts. Much more at thirdwigg.com.

Features:

• 4x4 PF XL drive
  • PF Servo steering
  • Portal Axles
  • Live axle suspension
  • Removable Bed and Cab
  • Three way tipper bed
  • Fischertechnic tires

Full Flickr gallery here.

32327924205_6e6cae32b7_c.jpg

32288875396_3d6920cd9f_c.jpg

32288717016_f9a184b994_c.jpg

32177864232_544d1a6bfd_c.jpg

31527909451_8f799472d3_c.jpg

Enjoy.

Edited by Thirdwigg

2 hours ago, efferman said:

Excellent replication of the ugliest unimog ever. 

All Unimog are ugly, but the U90 is not the best looking in the Unimog class.:grin:*huh*.

Anyway Thirdwigg, your U90 is a real beauty:thumbup::wub::thumbup:

Pretty impressive work, i really like both the drivetrain and steering design, very compact and yet very very clever built, i really like this Mog, nice work.

What can be better than a Unimog MOC? A green Unimog, of course. Better than that? A green Unimog MOC from @Thirdwigg. I was waiting for it to be completed. And it has turned out great. I much appreciate your design philosophy to keep everything clean and simple. Very nice build!

6 hours ago, Thirdwigg said:

Based on the old and ugly (can I say that?)

No, you can't! It is Unimog :devil: :wink:

Edited by proran

7 hours ago, Tommy Styrvoky said:

Interesting method for the driveline reductions around the  servo motor. I actually kind of like the boxy structure of it, it looks rugged.

Thanks. Keeping the wheelbase at 27 studs forced the funny reductions. I compromised the frame strength, but it worked.

5 hours ago, piterx said:

it looks awesome :)

what are those wheels?

Wheels. Tires.

5 hours ago, Imanol BB said:

Pretty impressive work, i really like both the drivetrain and steering design, very compact and yet very very clever built, i really like this Mog, nice work.

Thanks, glad you like it. I checked the scale a bunch of times, hoping to get more room. Instead I had to keep working to find a better solution.

@proran Thanks for your kind words. Glad you like the green. I was not sure it was going to work, so I'm happy I found some simple solutions. I should be more kind to the U90. It's a funny little truck, but each and every Unimog has a distinct look, and this one is no different. I should be more kind. :classic:

8 hours ago, Kmuffin said:

This looks way better than in real life. Nice job Thirdwigg!

Too bad you can't ride in this one.:wink:

Edited by Thirdwigg

Green is very cool MOC color! Very nice shape. Shame, that portal reductors do not gear it down.

I like it. Love the use of studded plates and I see there are other studded parts used. Love the green and it's a nice chassis.

H

On 1/18/2017 at 7:17 PM, Thirdwigg said:

Too bad you can't ride in this one.:wink:

Then I wish to become a minifig that is compatible with that :laugh:

I agree on this being the uglies Unimog ever, well the real life truck, don't get me wrong... :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: The model however is excellent...you did an amazing job!

I second this: "Interesting method for the driveline reductions around the servo motor"...brilliant!

One question though, why giving it portal hubs, but no gear reduction? Would be obvious, but maybe that isn't...

@2LegoOrNot2Lego... and @rm8 are both right; it would be better if the Portal Axles would gear down. I wanted to add portal axles to be more authentic, but adding reducing gears would add another stud of height in the chassis, and I was already getting a little too high at the top of the frame. Plus it made the smaller scale look a little chubby. The first draft used no portal axles, and considering all the work that went in to add them and how they limit off road effectiveness, maybe I should have ignored the authenticity, and went with a direct drive by leaving the Portal Axles out.

2 hours ago, Horace T said:

I like it. Love the use of studded plates and I see there are other studded parts used. Love the green and it's a nice chassis.

H

I can't believe how long it took me to think about using studded parts on the build. I'm really happy I stuck with the green. It looks great on my desk at work. 

Overall I'm not a big fan of the bodywork but the original is not great looking so you did a good job :wink:

The way you went around the servo motor is cool but I think in the render the dark grey gear should be one more down unless I'm missing something.

Did it have any problems with torque? it seemed to have trouble going over obstacles in the video.

00bb87ba0541fb7119ac473a11eef89b.jpg32327924205_6e6cae32b7_c.jpg

Edited by JJ2

@JJ2 the render is correct. The XL drive goes from a 8t left to a 24t gear (not down), then back to center from a 16t to a 16t clutch gear. From there two 16t gears transmit torque down to driveline, and one 16t transmit torque above the Servo to the I4.

The poor obstacle performance is due to the backlash in all the gears between each wheel. Again, removing the portal axles may have helped.

On 1/20/2017 at 11:54 PM, LEGO Train 12 Volts said:

The three way tilting bed is amazing!

Thanks, I only wish there was a way to fit a lifting mechanism.