Sign in to follow this  
Doug72

GBC Curved chain ball lift (MOC) (WIP)

Having used 12 pce BWE gear qaudrants for two other MOC's I had two left over.

These have been used as support guides for a ball lift module using the large Lego Chain links which have studs

Clearances for the lift arms is tight but with carefull setting up works well, still some work to do to improve the ball loading hopper which is too high at present.

32324710826_709d9846e7.jpgIMG_4244 by Doug Ridgway, on Flickr

32324711106_fb5419ec05.jpgIMG_4243 by Doug Ridgway, on Flickr

Video:

Edited by Doug72
Video link embedded.

4 hours ago, RohanBeckett said:

well done!

what a mix of old and new! using parts with over 40 years of age between them! :)

Thanks for the comment - the studded technic parts come from Lego sets 8094 & 8069 were Xmas present to my Grandson many years ago, who passed them back to me when I got into building Lego in my retirement.

I use studded beams to connect studless technic onto base plates.

Made some improvements to my MOC:

Added a jocky wheel to tension the chain, built an improved the loading hopper and added some guide beams position the lift arms as the chain moves.

Hi Doug72,

Great GBC!

i notice you are retired, if you would like to be recognized, checkout the "Older Than Dirt" thread and request a badge (like mine) to be recognized.

Andy D

1 hour ago, Andy D said:

Hi Doug72,

Great GBC!

i notice you are retired, if you would like to be recognized, checkout the "Older Than Dirt" thread and request a badge (like mine) to be recognized.

Andy D

Thanks - the GBC module is being rebuilt after a spectactular disintergration when the chain jammed.
Mk 2 now being built learning from the issues with the Mk 1 version.
Ball laoding now much better and lowered to 1L above the base plate.
Improved discharge still to sort out.

Re Older Than Dirt Club:-

Will take a look, I turn LXX in March.

I got into Lego Technic when I was given the 8275 Bulldozer as a Xmas gift from my familly.

Doug72.

Nice.  Is the chain rubbing against the 1/4 gear quadrants?   Any concerns about long term wear on the chain and 1/4 gear?

16 minutes ago, dr_spock said:

Nice.  Is the chain rubbing against the 1/4 gear quadrants?   Any concerns about long term wear on the chain and 1/4 gear?

Don't anticipate wear for the amount of time it will be running.

The chain glides quite freely over the gear quadrants, the large lego chain links are made of a slippery ABS plastic not hard like the 5L wide track links.
The tension on the chain is just sufficient so that the ball lifters enter the loading point at the correct angle.