Sign in to follow this  
kaiju

[SR - FB1 - Jan 617] The Heretic's Hoard: The Fate of Oedon Black

Previously

Escaping from an Oleon Jail, Captain Dracken escaped from LeBellan and returned to his ship.  Revealing he had acquired a map to the lost vault of Oedon Black and the fabled Heretic's Hoard, Dracken set course on his ship, the Bleak Angel.

The Heretic's Hoard, part I: The Fate of Oedon Black

After some delays the Bleak Angel had finally found her target: a small island unmarked on maps and seemingly abandoned.

From the wheel of the Angel Captain Dracken surveyed the isle. The only visible landing point was a small beach flanked by large outcroppings of rocks.

“Ready the boats,” he said, “and make some room below decks.”

hordefate_001.jpg

hordefate_002.jpg

Not trusting the quiet island Dracken assembled a heavily armed party. Second Mate Kite would oversee the crew, Bartholomew Drake would appraise the loot. They landed on the beach with no problem and were barely finished unloading weapons when everyone heard Drake ask the question.

hordefate_006.jpg

“What is that?”

hordefate_003.jpg

hordefate_004.jpg

Suspended on a large pole above the beach was a skeleton, or most of it at any rate, wrapped in tattered cloth and chained in place.

hordefate_006.jpg

“Sky burial,” Dracken said, “pity the soul.”

“Sounds like crazy Oleon stuff.” Kite said.

hordefate_007.jpg

“Not wrong,” Dracken said, “though not exclusive to Oleon. The faith claims that souls of the dead pass through to Hades' realm beneath the earth and so inter their bodies in the ground to help the soul cross over.”

hordefate_008.jpg

“And this sorry son-of-a-” Drake began.

“Was Oedon Black himself,” Dracken said, “judging from that placard. Sky burial was reserved for heretics and other treasonous souls. The body hoisted aloft and left to be picked clean by carrion and insects. The idea is that burial in this fashion delays, or even prevents, a soul crossing over.”

That,” Kite said, “is messed up.”

To Be Continued...

Spoiler

hordefate_010.jpg

hordefate_011.jpg

Edited by kaiju

Cool story!!!

Looking forward to where this leads :)

Great job on the photographing as well!

Nice rockwork and landscaping, and very nice story! The different angles and setups of the photos really tells the story wonderfully! Well done.

36 minutes ago, Maxim I said:

Cool story!!!

Looking forward to where this leads :)

Great job on the photographing as well!

Thanks, especially for the kind words about the photography. Also, you have reminded me that I need to add the links to previous parts of this story (it has been a while).

32 minutes ago, Bregir said:

Nice rockwork and landscaping, and very nice story! The different angles and setups of the photos really tells the story wonderfully! Well done.

Thank you.

Neat scene, kaiju. And the pictures capture the atmosphere pretty well - no need for a huge MOC to tell a thrilling story. Very well done, indeed :thumbup:

Aaaand I've learned something today... sky burial... very interesting concept... *takes notes*

I think this might catch on :devil:

Thanks... and keep it up!

13 hours ago, Kolonialbeamter said:

Neat scene, kaiju. And the pictures capture the atmosphere pretty well - no need for a huge MOC to tell a thrilling story. Very well done, indeed :thumbup:

Aaaand I've learned something today... sky burial... very interesting concept... *takes notes*

I think this might catch on :devil:

Thanks... and keep it up!

Real world sky burial is much less sinister; it is or was typically common in areas without much soil for ground burial, such as the Himalayas. I first encountered the idea in the video game Bloodborne.  Which working on this storyline I decided it would make a degree of sense as a form of punishment within Oleon to keep the faithful to scared to waver in their faith.

And thank you, I try my best with in many ways quite limited resources.

2 hours ago, blackdeathgr said:

I really like it! And the story is very compeling!

Thank you.  I'm glad people are enjoying this.

Interesting topic and a good build! Excellent storytelling, too!

The sparse grass looks great for the beach, and I like your use of clear cheese pieces in the water. Excellent minifig posing, too, including the recently departed. Nicely done! :thumbup:

1 hour ago, Capt Wolf said:

Interesting topic and a good build! Excellent storytelling, too!

The sparse grass looks great for the beach, and I like your use of clear cheese pieces in the water. Excellent minifig posing, too, including the recently departed. Nicely done! :thumbup:

Thank you very much.  As you might imagine, it took a few goes to get the skeleton to stay hung up with just the chain holding it in place.

2 hours ago, kaiju said:

Thank you very much.  As you might imagine, it took a few goes to get the skeleton to stay hung up with just the chain holding it in place.

Yes, I can imagine - fine contribution!