Sign in to follow this  
iamded

5614: The Good Wizard set review!

indexed.gif

2205482604_117d45f2bf_o.jpg

Greetings, and welcome to another Redman Review! I'm your host, Redman, and today I adorn my medieval outfit to tell you about the Impulse set simply titled "The Knight". No wait, that's the old script. X-D I mean, "The Good Wizard". *sweet*

The other Castle Impulse set (the first being 'The Knight'), this is a wonderful, and in my case unexpected addition to the Castle line! I did not expect to get a nice good wizard, but rather another plain white skellie for the Impulse, and was pleasantly surprised when I saw the first picture of this set. The Impulse sets give you pieces you wouldn't expect to see in such small sets, for example, The Knight came with the armour, and this comes with an owl, a gem, and a crystal ball piece. It comes with 11 pieces, including the wand, owl, and gem, and no spares, which doesn't really matter as it doesn't need any.

2204692203_52649f9b64_o.jpg

The box sports the set number, age range (which I blissfully ignore X-D), awesome Castle logo, and the assembled set, with the usual 1:1 scale picture of a minifig. The back of the box shows pictures of the boxed Skeleton Tower and King's Castle Siege sets. Note the price is in New Zealand dollars, and is really the same prica as any other Impulse set.

2204693309_2a099f6067.jpg

Next are the instructions, which are separated into 3 parts, 1 for the minifigure, 1 for the table, and one for the bird stand. Very simple, also worth mentioning is the parts numbers are next to their respective parts, for replacement parts etc. On the back we see (on the top half) pictures of Skeleton Prison Carriage, Skeleton Tower, and King's Castle Siege, this time not of the boxed sets, but the sets themselves. On the lower half we have 8 pictures, each of the different Impulse sets.

2204692887_15723f4f34.jpg

The Wizard's torso is plain sand blue, with no patterns or anything, but it doesn't really matter is his beard's in the way. ;-) The head is that same old 'white fade to grey beard' head, but the white beard covers up most of the grey. My favourite part is the pants, I love that we're getting printed belts and legs again. His belt has 4 gold crosses (as seen in, if you look closely, the new Crownie's torso and the Crownie archer's torso) and a belt buckle, and the legs have a bottle, a coin, and a small bag. Nice little wizard-ey items.

2204694063_d4b8b46c96.jpg

The, er, items, no, accessories, no, models? The stuff in the set include a little stand for the owl, and a table utilising the new 4x4 round piece in light bley, with the crystal ball in the middle, encasing the yellow gem held on by a 2x2 circle piece in blue. Why blue, I'm not sure. Maybe it's because the crystal is yellow, and the Crownie's colours are blue and gold, so the blue piece with the yellow crystal symbolise the Crownie's colours. Or maybe TLC just felt the need to include an odd colour. :-P

2205483208_1dced5e4fa.jpg

In conclusion, this is a wonderful set, with some neat accessories, and it doesn't really need to be bought in the masses, after all, you needs an army of owls and wizards? :-| :-P So it works fine as a single set, and adds a more fantasy feel to your Crownie army.

2205482232_4338bfb449.jpg

That's all for today folks! *sweet*

[/Redman]

Thanks for reading another of my Redman interviews, any suggestions on how to/what to do to improve it is greatly appreciated, as are all comments and criticisms (except those blatant thoughtless criticisms that don't help at all :-P)!

~Peace

Edited by KimT

good reveiw, i quite like this set and ill buy it as soon as it actually gets in my country |-/ :-|

(600th post)

Edit: $7!!!!! geez i thought $6 was bad :-X

Edit: who typed megablocks in my post..i didnt,???

Edited by hollisbrick

Yay! Another Redman review!

You are an excellent reviewer iamded Redman, your pictures show all the details included in the set and your thoughts bring new light to features and bits I hadn't noticed or thought about before *y*

I love this little set, I will get two I reckon, because I want all the Wizard bits in a minifig box as well. Nice little humorous pic at the end too. One improvement I think could be to include the pics of the back of the box and other side of the instructions anyway. Honestly, there isn't much to improve, you are an excellent reviewer :-)

Redman ON!

Batbrick is Back! >:-)

Edit: $7!!!!! geez i thought $6 was bad :-X

Oh, my bad! I forgot to say that's 7 NZD, not USD or Euros or pounds or anything. :-$ Don't panic! Thanks for the comment!

Yay! Another Redman review!

You are an excellent reviewer iamded Redman, your pictures show all the details included in the set and your thoughts bring new light to features and bits I hadn't noticed or thought about before *y*

I love this little set, I will get two I reckon, because I want all the Wizard bits in a minifig box as well. Nice little humorous pic at the end too. One improvement I think could be to include the pics of the back of the box and other side of the instructions anyway. Honestly, there isn't much to improve, you are an excellent reviewer :-)

Redman ON!

Thanks Batbrick! :-D I sometimes flick from the minifig view of things to a person's view of things, but no one seems to notice, so it's okay. X-D And I didn't include pics of the back of the instructions and box because they were included in some one else's Knight review, and there's no change. But I will include them in future, in case someone hasn't seen any of the other reviews of the set I'm reviewing. X-D Expect to see a review of Arachnoid Stalker (or Battle Arachnoid) in the near future!

~Peace

Nice review, your camera is much better now. I look forward to more of your reviews :-) I just went to Toyworld today and got a wizard and 4 knights :-) And on top of that, they were having a 20% off sale *sweet* I might go back and get some more tommorrow.

The wizard is pretty good, and comes with some good parts (owl, beard, legs, hat, round table, crystal ball..). It would be nicer if he had a torso with printing on it, but I can understand why they didn't.

Nice review, your camera is much better now. I look forward to more of your reviews :-) I just went to Toyworld today and got a wizard and 4 knights :-) And on top of that, they were having a 20% off sale *sweet* I might go back and get some more tommorrow.

Thanks! 20% off, what a bonus! If only Toyworld's sales were nation-wide. :-D I wish I were in Wellington, the guy at the Toyworld their is really cool, and into Lego to! The guy at the Martin's Toyworld here in Rotorua is quite professional, too much so for a toy shop. Still, he tells me when they get stock in. Anyway, I'm getting off topic in my own thread! X-D

~Peace

His belt has 4 gold crosses (as seen in, if you look closely, the new Crownie's torso and the Crownie archer's torso) and a belt buckle, and the legs have a bottle, a coin, and a small bag. Nice little wizard-ey items.

I think the "coin" is actually some kind of amulet or locket. Nice review, keep them coming! *sweet*

Thanks for the review of this nice little set.

For it's price (3 euros here in Holland) it contains quite a lot of useful parts.

The only thing that could have been better in my opinion is the wand, I always liked this one:

6124.gif

The wizard is pretty good, and comes with some good parts... It would be nicer if he had a torso with printing on it...

I agree. In fact, it's a point I've already made on this board.

The only thing that could have been better in my opinion is the wand, I always liked this one...

Again, a point I agree with and already made on this board.

I'm not blaming you guys. ;-) The OP in this thread should, at the very least, have linked to the existing thread about this set on this board. |-/

Edited by AmperZand

Thanks for the review of this nice little set.

For it's price (3 euros here in Holland) it contains quite a lot of useful parts.

The only thing that could have been better in my opinion is the wand, I always liked this one:

6124.gif

I miss those wands! They could've used it, but I think the wood wand kindda adds "realis" to the set, and since many fans don't like their castle theme to be too fantasized, I guess Lego decided to use a mold that was still being used for various sets. When I get this set I'm going to put it on the Tower in the King's castle, you know, the one that is right above the throne room? ;-) That'll be a great spot, and then I'll finally have all the necessary characters, the King in his throne, the knights on the walls, the wizard on his tower top, and the Princess in her tower room that floats in mid air and is connected to the throne room by a 2-stud wide bridge! :-D I love the King;s castle siege set *wub*

I'm not blaming you guys. ;-) The OP in this thread should, at the very least, have linked to the existing thread about this set on this board. |-/

Why? Its his review, and a very good one at that, I don't see why he needed to link anything.

Be glad that he was kind enough to take the time to write up this review. Now we have two different opinions on a set, which is great, there is no need for him to give credit to you, its his review :-)

Not bad. I could see picking up a couple of these guys along with a few of the new knights. I actually prefer the wizard as these impulse items are simply too expensive for army building (IMO).

Later.

Not bad. I could see picking up a couple of these guys along with a few of the new knights. I actually prefer the wizard as these impulse items are simply too expensive for army building (IMO).

Later.

Same, thats why ill probly only get the wizard because they are quite expensive if you compare them to the $2 ones i used to get back around 2000 and you got about the same peices aswell. :-/

Thanks everyone for your feedback!

Sorry, I knew you had done a review, but I didn't think you had to post a link to all other reviews already done on that set. :-/ It's just expressing my opinions and sharing my thoughts about the set, as well as giving people a bit of info. The way I see it, I don't really have to post a link in the first post, but you can feel free to post a link to your review if you want, to give people your thoughts and opinions.

Besides, NZ never gets sets first and most of the ones I pick up have already been reviewed. :-$

~Peace

Thanks everyone for your feedback!

Sorry, I knew you had done a review, but I didn't think you had to post a link to all other reviews already done on that set. :-/ It's just expressing my opinions and sharing my thoughts about the set, as well as giving people a bit of info. The way I see it, I don't really have to post a link in the first post, but you can feel free to post a link to your review if you want, to give people your thoughts and opinions.

Besides, NZ never gets sets first and most of the ones I pick up have already been reviewed. :-$

~Peace

so your saying you did the reveiw?? i thought it was redman X-D ;-)

so your saying you did the reveiw?? i thought it was redman X-D ;-)

No, that was on behalf of Redman. X-D

~Peace

On most message boards, one doesn't duplicate the topic of an active or recent thread. There's a good reason for that: the boards would soon become a mess if that practice became widespread. I assumed that keeping posts on the same topic together was also the rule here and therefore expected any posts like your opening one to be a contribution to my existing thread on this topic. It appears though that I was mistaken; on these boards, one is free to start a new thread on an existing topic. In future, I may well do that. Thank you for drawing my attention to that.

Back on topic: I thought your review was pretty good as were the pics. *y*

Edited by AmperZand

The stuff in the set include a little stand for the owl, and a table utilising the new 4x4 round piece in frown, with the crystal ball in the middle, encasing the yellow gem held on by a 2x2 circle piece in blue. Why blue, I'm not sure.

Wait, isn't it light bley, not frown? :-$ :-P Although I would much rather have a brown table :-$

More on-topic, I love the wizard's legs, even better than the Evil Wizard's ones. The hip piece looks very nice on dark blue legs *y*

Wait, isn't it light bley, not frown? :-$ :-P Although I would much rather have a brown table :-$

I don't know what "frown" is but if it's a shade of brown, then you're right: no part of the table is any shade of brown. The owl's stand is though - I think that shade is called "reddish brown" on BrickLink. Please see pic:

the_good_wizard.jpg

A great review, I like redman, he is most amusing! Thanks.

As for the set, I like it very much, I love the wizard and owl! *wub*

Thank you all for your comments! I really appreciate them! *sweet*

Right you are! I don't know what Redman was thinking. :-P He's fixed it now. ;-)

~Peace