SkaForHire

Kings Port Advertiser and Ship List (Vol 1, Issue 8) Jan 617

I've also noticed a couple odd ships here and there, are 4HA much stronger than 4A (gunrating of 4 maybe?)? And are the captured class 3T ships 3T1, 3T2 or different?

@SkaForHire

edit: just to confirm, next MRCA is the old style again? Or is there new stuff to consider?

Edited by Legostone

13 hours ago, Kolonialbeamter said:

Another more general thing... to me the traders income seem a fair bit too high. That is in absolute numbers, compared to property yield (it'll take six months for a 100x100 studs royal property to pay off, and the yield of 500DB can be topped by a medium trade-ship), and now also compared to raids: the MAR raids on practically all ESL settlements yielded 400DB - 'collected' by a ton of ships - which can now be compensated by a single lucky trading 2F...

This has always been the case, and in my opinion the MCRA has been gamed consistently by all factions since I think about the second running. There is and always has been only one optimal strategy and it is pretty damned safe and very profitable barring things like Hurricanes, Deities, and Monsters.

If we had a real economy we'd have runaway inflation by now.

I'm really hoping the new MCRA addresses this and also encourages more than one way to play it.

10 hours ago, SkaForHire said:

KB covered some of this. Yes, they are Orange or Yellow, but also have infamous "Blackcoats"  that was written somewhere...  So that might be an option as well.

Probably not the right thread to post this, but anyhew...  I spent some time last night playing around with colour schemes.  Here are some examples unofficial soldier patterns for a few NPC nations I thought I'd share.  I do have a bunch of different variations for most of these on my photobucket account (browse if you want), but they'd take up too much space to post here.

Note these should be set to the following dimensions if you decide to print them out on a sticker sheet: Height = 0.51 inches, Length 0.61 inches

DUCHY OF PRIO:

prio1_zpsaovlbvwu.jpg

MARDIER (FUSILIER):

mardier5_zpsgj1lphm3.jpg

GARVEY (FUSILIER):

garvey4_zpssjzdzdb2.jpg

CARNO (?):

dkred2_zpsthfafzj3.jpg

NAMERE (?):

grey11_zpstkysuh3j.jpg

Edited by Kwatchi

2 hours ago, Kwatchi said:

Probably not the right thread to post this, but anyhew...  I spent some time last night playing around with colour schemes.  Here are some examples unofficial soldier patterns for a few NPC nations I thought I'd share.  I do have a bunch of different variations for most of these on my photobucket account (browse if you want), but they'd take up too much space to post here.

Note these should be set to the following dimensions if you decide to print them out on a sticker sheet: Height = 0.51 inches, Length 0.61 inches

Very nice.  I used orange for Mardier soldiers after the first MRCA when my ship and crew was captured by NPC Mardier and stealing the ship back.

Nice extra-mile effort, Kwatchi :thumbup: Those MAR don't look too ugly anymore, quite the contrary, well done. These are now uniforms that deserve to be KaBlam'ed :laugh:

Any idea where to 'store' them, so they don't get lost?

The Great Pirate Torso Library might be an option, although not a very BoBS-ish one.

11 hours ago, cb4 said:

Totally agree. We are already seeing this, as MOCs are far more valuable than their license. Try buying a property MOC, and I doubt you'll be able to get it for less than double of it's license worth in DB. There's basically no monetary incentive to moc about - if it wasn't for factions needing certain properties, why bother. Get a ship and get rich. Too much money also undermines the need to come up with ideas to raise DB, so a banking system hasn't really arisen as there's just no real need for it, a true gambling hot spot is still to be seen, and... I wonder what other great ideas we could come up with if DB weren't that easy to come by.

It seems it's a good thing to have a little war going on for now :grin:

One question regarding the "Poseidon's Revenge"; its result states "Saved Incognito from 5HA pirate "Strumpet". Captured".

Does that mean Strumpet got captured or the Revenge?

15 hours ago, Legostone said:

I've also noticed a couple odd ships here and there, are 4HA much stronger than 4A (gunrating of 4 maybe?)? And are the captured class 3T ships 3T1, 3T2 or different?

@SkaForHire

edit: just to confirm, next MRCA is the old style again? Or is there new stuff to consider?

That was a mistyping for me... should be 4A, all 3T should be 3T2, since 3T is not a very good ship.

Yes, I am going to guess at the moment, as we would not have enough time for questions if we just put out the new rules right now, nor are they 100% done.  Most likely Feb 5th deadline for entry to MRCA FEB 17.

14 hours ago, cb4 said:

This has always been the case, and in my opinion the MCRA has been gamed consistently by all factions since I think about the second running. There is and always has been only one optimal strategy and it is pretty damned safe and very profitable barring things like Hurricanes, Deities, and Monsters.

I'm really hoping the new MCRA addresses this and also encourages more than one way to play it.

I think you will see that there are. People will begin to pay DBs and PIPS toward adventures. Convoy upkeep and ship upkeep, not to mention fort upkeep will also start draining gold.  Faction actions will drain FIPs, and then we may see a need for people to buy Influence points from individuals and companies for gold.  The economy should right itself with the second level of rules.  Right now there is just a lot of gold to be made as the large ships are out there doing long runs.  There could have been more pirates I suppose...

41 minutes ago, Jacob Nion said:

One question regarding the "Poseidon's Revenge"; its result states "Saved Incognito from 5HA pirate "Strumpet". Captured".

Does that mean Strumpet got captured or the Revenge?

They captured Strumpet.

20 minutes ago, Bregir said:

Will this long list of captures lead to any ships for sale? :)

Be patient ;) (and hope none of the Eslandolans are interested... ;))

Just now, Legostone said:

Be patient ;) (and hope none of the Eslandolans are interested... ;))

Oh, I do enjoy driving up prices for the greenies! :pir-grin:

On 1/17/2017 at 3:35 AM, Jacob Nion said:

:grin: 

All hail the Queen..

...Annetta's Revenge! Dread Pirate Captains Morgan and Sinbad strike again! 

Unperceived by the war torn grand nations, the world sees the dawn of the golden age of piracy.

I certainly hope so, I've been pushing ska for more Pirate friendly activities and bonus's. I can tell you right now I plan on adding some bonus's for pirates. It's been a long time coming and pirates have been vastly underwhelming in their perks and abilities, this needs to change. And In the MRCA2 I plan on having several special things for pirates that may even the field and in crease interest in flying the skull and bones.

On 1/17/2017 at 7:51 AM, Mike S said:

Aiden Coyle will personally oversee the investigation of the attack on the Black Marlin. OOC: this could be a good story starter...

Yeah It's always fun writing something Interesting instead of "Sprung a leak had to return to port", Hence why one of the oleanders got some special text for it's kraken attack.

On 1/17/2017 at 8:30 AM, Kwatchi said:

So this is what success feels like.

Groovy!

@SkaForHire Great idea to add an universal antagonist Ska.  We were certainly lacking something to act as the big, bad boogeyman for storylines.  As one really interested in MRCA result MOCs for this one, has the physical details of Mardier troops & marines ever been fleshed out?  Is there a flag out there I can print? Do their troops have a jacket colour chosen for them yet?  Not that there are a lot of free colours remaining tbh.

Corrington = red
Oleon = blue
Eslandola = green
Garvey = orange
Duchy of Prio = purple
Sea Rats... erm... Charlatan Bay =  Black (with light blue)

Mardier = what's left? White, Pink, Brown, Yellow

I loved the Kraken, and I loved Garms idea for a challenge reward involving it that seems to have been quashed, maybe mentioning it here may show some of the less enthused leadership members that the players enjoy the Kraken and maybe would like to be a bit more involved in it's where-abouts (HINT HINT). It seems they didn't think people liked NPC antagonists, If you are into give a shout out, the game is meant to be fun and if you like it I think it can happen.

@Scarst Court matters might better be discussed in the Court first before posting them out in the open :wink: If you go live with your ideas for future mechanics others might follow...

13 hours ago, Kolonialbeamter said:

@Scarst Court matters might better be discussed in the Court first before posting them out in the open :wink: If you go live with your ideas for future mechanics others might follow...

The Kraken is a known Phenomena now, and after reading many in the court shooting the idea down saying it had no merit, it seems many of the players would disagree. I put that hint deliberately to show that the idea that was so throughly beat down did indeed have merit, as it seems common for certain members to say they speak for there faction's interests when there is now evidence contrary. So I will resume this back in the court and I would like Garm's idea to be reopened.

On ‎1‎/‎20‎/‎2017 at 11:40 PM, Scarst said:

I loved the Kraken, and I loved Garms idea for a challenge reward involving it that seems to have been quashed, maybe mentioning it here may show some of the less enthused leadership members that the players enjoy the Kraken and maybe would like to be a bit more involved in it's where-abouts (HINT HINT). It seems they didn't think people liked NPC antagonists, If you are into give a shout out, the game is meant to be fun and if you like it I think it can happen.

I think the problem with the Kraken is not it being an NPC but that because from my understanding BoBS was established to be more realistic than fantasy, the Kraken shouldn't be anything more than an unsubstantiated rumor. I think the Kraken is fun to read about in the MRCA results, but I think its fun is in its mystery and being able to chalk its existence up to terrified sailors "seeing" things. That being said, I have always been a proponent of NPC antagonists rather than player faction vs player faction. With life being as unpredictable as it is, faction participation is highly sporadic making a balanced playing field next to impossible to maintain.

1 hour ago, Mike S said:

I think the problem with the Kraken is not it being an NPC but that because from my understanding BoBS was established to be more realistic than fantasy, the Kraken shouldn't be anything more than an unsubstantiated rumor.

That was not the impression I had at the beginning.  I seem to recall the factions had different levels "supernatural", with COR and ESL grounded in science/commerce while OL and SR tended towards PotC metaphysical.  It weighed heavily in my faction choice.

@Mike S BobS was also intended to be focussing on ships rather than landlubber properties. Not that I don't like having believable port cities and an economy that is essential to have the ressources for naval power. But this is still the pirates forum. But that's a different story.

Now about the kraken. I think it means no problem to anyone to have fantasy aspects in BoBS. Supernatural powers or not- the economy still works the same way as it does in reality. Ships are still powered by the wind, and made of timber and the sweat of hard working men.

And for a calm analytic merchant it should make no difference if a lost ship is listed in his books as "sunk by storm" or "sunk by kraken". 

It is just a little aspect that makesBoBS a more interesting place for a variety of people. As I said above not everyone finds building factories and earning money by trade that exciting.

@Kwatchi For me you are doing a fantastic job regarding your story telling. The dark bishop is my favourite character in BoBS. And that since this ingenious temple of doom reference. 

I came here to discover exotic isles and roam unknown seas for fortune and glory (sic). And ruthless pirate lords like Emil Meloche are exactly what I would like to see more of. The whole worshipping of Hades stuff with dark rites and blood sacrifices are aspects that make BoBS something original, instead of just being a compendium of Age of sail and european history. 

Nobody should feel forced to participate in that more fantasy aspect. But I would ask everyone to tolerate it at least.

Edited by Jacob Nion

13 minutes ago, Jacob Nion said:

Nobody should feel forced to participate in that more fantasy aspect. But I would ask everyone to tolerate it at least.

Amen.

And if the same applies to all other aspects and varieties and different takes on the game (and be it the guy who wants to do nothing but rockwork and mining-scenes), then the result of BoBS as a whole will be even more fantastic.

I think everybody will react to the Kraken as they please. Montoya will surely assume it some non-descript species, while Cooke might be inclined to call it an old wives tale. And most certainly, others will wholly believe in its existence. We are all free to interpret it as we will. :pir-blush: