It is a full RC model with the following functions:
- independent suspension on all wheels
- butterfly doors
- RC drive (2x L-motor)
- RC steering (1x servo motor)
- RC spoiler (1x M-motor)
- RC convertible roof (1x M-motor)

A video of the model can be found on Youtube:

Instructions for both the red and a white version are available from my website:

31512714513_cae3902b7e_c.jpg

This model was built in commission, which I have to thank my client for, because I otherwise I would have dismissed this challenge as too ambitious. I always had the ambition of making a car with a convertible roof, but I always shied away from it since I had no idea how to make such a feature. Then to make a convertible roof that is remote controlled and has a an extra pivotpoint in the roof itself I would never have tried. I am quite pleased to see that the old adagium still holds: 'You can build anything from Lego'

Comments and questions are welcome as usual,

Leg godt,

Jeroen

2 minutes ago, LvdH said:

What Thirdwigg said.

I also love how the roof folds! I can't wait to buy the instructions. How many red #3 does it use? Even though I like the white one better, I kind of want to build both ... :grin: 

I assume it will also be put on rebrickable? I don't know if the white one has different parts, but if it does could you post them as two different MOCs? 

And lastly, are there any rare parts? I should have most parts of the white one from your "Mistress Supercar" but I am not so sure about red... 

Thx guys

Rare parts:
14x #3 connectors in red
6x 11x3 panels in red (these are surprisingly rare as well)
1x V2 receiver

The models are waiting for approval on Rebrickable (I put them on there separately).But here you can find the partslists:

http://bricksafe.com/pages/JeroenOttens/mclaren-partslist

The white version does not contain any rare parts apart from the V2 receiver as far as I am aware...

Jeroen

This is what I mean when I say others are much better (EDIT: than me) when it comes to slick panelling. Did I say 'much better'? Replace that with 'a million times better'. And so many functions packed together. Excellent work!

Edited by Didumos69

Stunning work, my first tought was: how well matches this car in the line up of current TOP supercars. :thumbup:

Bravo!

55 minutes ago, Jeroen Ottens said:

Thx guys

Rare parts:
14x #3 connectors in red
6x 11x3 panels in red (these are surprisingly rare as well)
1x V2 receiver

The models are waiting for approval on Rebrickable (I put them on there separately).But here you can find the partslists:

http://bricksafe.com/pages/JeroenOttens/mclaren-partslist

The white version does not contain any rare parts apart from the V2 receiver as far as I am aware...

Jeroen

I believe I read in the 2017-sets topic that those red #3 connectors are in a 2H 2017 set, but I'm not entirely sure about that.

Congrats, good job as always! How do you manage to make so many nice supercars in short time :look:?.. 

I like especially the very clever geometry behind the convertible roof construction :thumbup:! Anyway - some critique points I have to issue about this build: the doors should open much further and the front wheel arch could be more consistent. But of course I know how much it costs to develop these. Moreover nobody will pay all efforts to create "perfection".

Edit: I´ve noticed that there is this 3 stud red piece missing under the door on the right side if you compare the video shot and the picture above (?...)

Edited by brunojj1

10 minutes ago, legolijntje said:

I believe I read in the 2017-sets topic that those red #3 connectors are in a 2H 2017 set, but I'm not entirely sure about that.

There are some red #3 connectors visible in the prelim pictures. fingers crossed that they wil make it to the final version... Then we can start complaining about the orange #3 connectors instead :tongue:

BTW, I forgot to mention that you made the instructions, so people now know what quality they can expect :thumbup:

3 minutes ago, brunojj1 said:

Congrats, good job as always! How do you manage to make so many nice supercars in short time :look:?.. 

I like especially the very clever geometry behind the convertible roof construction :thumbup:! Anyway - some critique points I have to issue about this build: the doors should open much further and the front wheel arch could be more consistent. But of course I know how much it costs to develop these. Moreover nobody will pay all efforts to create "perfection".

As usual, your comments are spot on. Those doors have given me the most headache in the design process (the roof mechanism 'popped in my head' one morning when I woke up). I use a tilted pivot point (with the associated structure around it) to get the angles somewhat right, furthermore there is a spring mechanism inside that keeps the door locked both in down and in up-position and then the wheel is right in front of it with the usual horrible pivotpoint of a LEGO wheel which makes it pivot almost inside the door... Finally there are some tricky angles in the door itself that also needed a supportstructure...

So yes, at some point I decided that this was the best I could come up with within a reasonable time.
I do realize now that there is a red 3L beam missing in the video :sick:, that does help to make the front arch a bit more consistent than it is now...

I really love this car. The bodywork and doors are beautiful, and the roof is really cool. Also, I like the angles in the seats.

Edited by Offroadcreat1ons

This is out of this world! Looking at the first picture I was trying to find a 'trick': is it all lego? is it  3D graphics? is it photoshoped? It is so sleek. How, how it is possible? And then was the video with the roof. I've watched it five times I still cannot believe it is a real lego mechanism. When it is unfolded, the roof  lines is so smooth. Amazing! Any chance for chassis or bottom shots? Thank for sharing.

1 hour ago, Jeroen Ottens said:

Those doors have given me the most headache in the design process

It is awesome that you gave perfect McLaren smile to this beauty! :wub::wub::wub::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup: That's what I could not do on my supercar...

Probably I can imagine your headache because I also spent hours and hours for dihedral door opening mechanism. :blush:

Edited by Madoca 1977

What a beautiful build!  I think both colours looks nice, but may build the white after building two red cars recently.

My few criticisms.  The blue pins of the head lights really stand out as an eyesore.  I know they are rare, but I think black is warranted in this area.

Another thing I noticed which seems to be happening on many builds is the front nose looks too stubby / short in the side view compared to the real car.

It is on my short list of cars to build!

Really like what you've done here. When it comes to Supercars, the McLaren brand has always been one of my favorites. Your roof is just pure awesomeness. However, the proportions of the car are a little off(mainly in the nose) which is making it look kind of stubby compared to the car you are basing it on.

5b9qsHz.jpg

And as already mentioned, the butterfly doors should open more with the mirrors pointing almost directly to the sky, but it is understandable that this is the best you could do in the time constraint.

I still think that you did an admirable job with it and I am sure that you will sell many downloads. :classic:

8 minutes ago, technic_addict said:

Another thing I noticed which seems to be happening on many builds is the front nose looks too stubby / short in the side view compared to the real car.

:laugh: Was just mentioning this while you were replying. You are right though, his is something that seems to plague may builders.

4 minutes ago, Meatman said:

Really like what you've done here. When it comes to Supercars, the McLaren brand has always been one of my favorites. Your roof is just pure awesomeness. However, the proportions of the car are a little off(mainly in the nose) which is making it look kind of stubby compared to the car you are basing it on.

And as already mentioned, the butterfly doors should open more with the mirrors pointing almost directly to the sky, but it is understandable that this is the best you could do in the time constraint.

I still think that you did an admirable job with it and I am sure that you will sell many downloads. :classic:

:laugh: Was just mentioning this while you were replying. You are right though, his is something that seems to plague may builders.

It is interesting that you bring up the nose. This area I have been struggling with in terms of proportion... The length between the wheel axis and the front is good to scale, but somehow the nose looks too stubby. On my DB11 I have the same issue, but there I opt for a longer nose to keep the profile sleek at the expense of accuracy. My guess is that this has to do with the extra clearance that we need around the LEGO wheels. It leaves very little room to work with to get those sleek lines...

Just now, Jeroen Ottens said:

It is interesting that you bring up the nose. This area I have been struggling with in terms of proportion... The length between the wheel axis and the front is good to scale, but somehow the nose looks too stubby. On my DB11 I have the same issue, but there I opt for a longer nose to keep the profile sleek at the expense of accuracy. My guess is that this has to do with the extra clearance that we need around the LEGO wheels. It leaves very little room to work with to get those sleek lines...

You're probably right. The wheel arches do take up more room.  I guess it's hard to have a longer front end when you are already shaving some off with the arches, so it created the illusion that it is too short. I think one other thing that is making it look "stubby" is that flex axle near the inside of the headlight. It is kind of curving up into the air instead of just curving forward and down. The real car has more of a defined point towards the nose. Yours kind of looks like it is angling upwards more.

You said this model was built on commission, just out of curiosity, what do you charge for a commissioned piece like this one?

Nice job Jeroen.. :thumbup::thumbup:

15 minutes ago, LvdH said:

I actually asked him too, and he said between €2000-4000 depending on the complexity.

I can't tell you how many people have requested models from me over the years and when I told them a rough estimate of just the cost of the parts, they backed out... And we're only talking like $300 to $400.. :laugh:

There are people out there that have the money that want something unique, no matter what the cost..

Edited by Paul Boratko

Wow! Excellent model! McLaren is my (current) favorite supercar maker, you did an excellent job with this 675 Spider. :thumbup: Concerning the front, I agree that it looks stubby from the side, but from a head-on view its beautiful!

30 minutes ago, LvdH said:

@Paul Boratko That's about the price of any car really. I can understand the price, the amount of effort put into some cars is insane. The parts are the cheapest of the entire commission...

You know that and I know that, but the average person(usually someone who knows very little about Lego) doesn't know this..

I can't tell you how many people that I have talked to at various shows that would ask:

"Can you build me a 19XX >insert car name here<?"

Then I say "Yes"

And they say "How much would it cost?"

Then I say "Well you're looking at least in the $400 range just for the parts and that doesn't count my time for the development"

Then they say "That's Crazy" and walk away

When I get emails about commissioned projects and reply back with the part cost, I usually never hear back..

But there are some people out there with the cash that don't care...

Edited by Paul Boratko

Stunning. Love the flow of the panels and the clever roof mechanism. I'm a huge fan of this build, and I am impressed how you create multiple large scale builds at once. :wub: