The lego fan

Ideas for new Lego themes! (Non-licensed)

Get rid of Lego friends and split Lego city in 2. It could be one part for police and fire stuff and another part for everyday life. That would be amazing! Also I despise Lego freinds for its sexist nature. Those are my dream Lego themes

1 hour ago, Legoboy22 said:

Get rid of Lego friends and split Lego city in 2. It could be one part for police and fire stuff and another part for everyday life. That would be amazing! Also I despise Lego freinds for its sexist nature. Those are my dream Lego themes

The Swedish Language Council has published a list of new and popular words in the Swedish Language 2016. One of them is a new word for police, ambulance and fire fighters called "Blue-light-staff". Maybe Lego could  call the new theme "Blue-Light-Staff" and merge City and Friends to a more "Everyday Life"-theme.:classic:

17 hours ago, Mosse1997 said:

The Swedish Language Council has published a list of new and popular words in the Swedish Language 2016. One of them is a new word for police, ambulance and fire fighters called "Blue-light-staff". Maybe Lego could  call the new theme "Blue-Light-Staff" and merge City and Friends to a more "Everyday Life"-theme.:classic:

Is this Newspeak in effect? Dammit, our day to day life comes closer to fiction every day...

I think Friends has it's own market, even if I do despice the idea of "girlish" lego as well. Paradisa was quite a step towards Friends, but Friends took it at least one step further with their minidolls...

Lego, we definitely need a good looking hospital! Not that crap set from 2012 ....

I've wanted to see a ski resort theme since I was a kid. I think it offers a bunch of possibilities. Chairlift, snowcat, apres ski, ski school, ski patrol. I think it would be fun!

A new RC car line. Perhaps a 20-30 dollar line that comes with a premolded RC chassis with studs on top. So you can build your own car. Could be a sub theme of Speed Champions

On 15/01/2017 at 4:00 PM, Legoboy22 said:

Which parts of Friends are sexist?

A sci-fi theme for girls (like Lego Friends and Elves) would be awesome, but I'm not sure what the best approach for that would be... Space? Mechs? Steampunk? It's possible that the licensed DC Super Hero Girls theme already covers too much of that niche for the time being.

With Bionicle over I am hoping for a new original Constraction theme in the near future, though again, I don't have many specific ideas of what that should be. In terms of sub-themes, I would love to see Lego create "buildable doll" spin-offs of themes like Friends or Elves like the "buildable action figures" from the Star Wars and Super Heroes themes. It would definitely be a challenge but I don't think it'd be an insurmountable one.

Like many AFOLs I would love to see a new take on Classic Space. Even a single Juniors set might suffice!

As a fan of both Agents and Ultra Agents I would not mind another new take on a secret agent/spy theme. The recent CMF spy kind of has me wishing for a new, better take on Alpha Team!

A "Global City" theme with maybe 6-8 different cultures represented. Each culture would get a a typical street scene vignette with 2/3 mini-figures, a medium set, and a small/medium modular building set. Essentially you'd end up with one decent sized minifig-scale building of that culture, a small vignette of their street scene and then something unique to fill the gap between the small and large sets.

• Middle East - eg. a Moroccan setting with camels, spices, souks and courtyards
  • East Asia - eg. Chinese or Japanese temples, shrines, lanterns and the kind of parades and night markets during the lunar new year 
  • India - eg. Hindu style temples and women in saris
  • Africa - eg. Big game, mud huts, women in colorful dress carrying things on their heads
  • Latin America - eg. Fiesta or maybe a Mardi Gras parade with the kind of colorful Latin-American colonial buildings
  • Pacific Islands - eg. Impressive wooden houses with boat-shaped roofs, people in grass skirts and on outrigger canoes in tropical splendor

Then you have European countries worthy of their own style of building and scene - Italy, Russia, Spain, Denmark itself... maybe that can be the next iteration of these sets.

That way you can get a range of regular representations of countries rather than just having a pseudo-American city you get with the typical city sets. The modular sets already took a step in this direction with the Parisian Restaurant.

Okay, this thread got me thinking a bit about themes I like currently and themes I'd like to see going forward. 

I mean, I really love the Elves line even if I never bought sets from it (to be fair I haven't bought Lego sets in a long while). The colors are extremely pretty, vibrant and the setting is fun -- I'm also a sucker for magic, fantasy and elves, so it all sort of works to my tastes pretty nicely. 

But, I would find it pretty cool if they did a theme similar to Exo-Force? Again? I'm not sure if there actually is such a theme around currently, but I couldn't think of one that's active or find one. Large mechs are a second big weakness I have and, with Lego, I always felt they were pretty cool, fun, and interesting in terms of their design and what you could do with them. It doesn't have to follow the story of Exo-Force, but that was a theme I got really into back when. I always just enjoyed these sorts of settings and themes; giant mecha units, pilots, engineers and so on. I always did feel a particular... well, I like Gundam a lot so whenever I think of these things my mind goes there. Or even something influenced with Gurren Lagann's overall style (at least initially, since the first... I want to say half of the first season? I mean, it doesn't take itself superbly seriously all the time and there's a lot of fun in the animations and how their mech designs interact with each other). 

I dunno, I kinda just thought a little and recalled that old line and kinda missed it. And it's not too hard to create a story around the concept, or find a means to form up a unique, identifiable concept for the actual sets themselves even with the genre existing and being... I'd say it's still fairly popular. Most people know what I'm talking about when I talk about various series in that specific brand of science fiction and they all generally have their own styles for not only story telling, but design itself. 

Lego for Lego

So you get a set that comes with your standard city-like Lego. But within that set comes even tinier Lego. Really tiny Lego. The set comes with tweezers and a microscope so you can effectively build with the tiny Lego. So you've got your normal Lego minifigures building their own minifigure scale Lego... and if we go deeper we can have microscopic Lego that the said tiny Lego plays and builds with.

28 minutes ago, BrickG said:

Lego for Lego

So you get a set that comes with your standard city-like Lego. But within that set comes even tinier Lego. Really tiny Lego. The set comes with tweezers and a microscope so you can effectively build with the tiny Lego. So you've got your normal Lego minifigures building their own minifigure scale Lego... and if we go deeper we can have microscopic Lego that the said tiny Lego plays and builds with.

ATOMIC LEGO !!! Or FRACTAL LEGO???

Hilarious idea, a laugh a day keeps that stupid apple away (and the Doctor too, hopefully) :laugh:

On 1/16/2017 at 5:00 AM, Capparezza said:

Is this Newspeak in effect? Dammit, our day to day life comes closer to fiction every day...

Big Brother is watching the forums, be careful what you say! :laugh:

On 1/16/2017 at 2:05 PM, Htrag said:

I've wanted to see a ski resort theme since I was a kid. I think it offers a bunch of possibilities. Chairlift, snowcat, apres ski, ski school, ski patrol. I think it would be fun!

That would be awesome! Even for just a brief city subtheme, sort of like the Volcano and Arctic themes were. I think we could have a set with a lodge (and maybe even a ski lift) as the flagship set. A few smaller sets with snowcats, or snowmobiles, etc. 

Anyways for my ideas for non-licensed themes: First, I think Lego needs a dedicated Train theme again. I keep saying it, but I feel it is worth repeating my opinion! Another theme I hope we see, an amusement park theme. We have seen bits of it in the recent ride sets (like the ferris wheel) and the Friend's subtheme; but I think it is ready to be launched as its own full theme. 

9 hours ago, xboxtravis7992 said:

Big Brother is watching the forums, be careful what you say! :laugh:

:look:

@dr_spock In the light of what has been discussed around here regarding Train sets and their narrow target group, I can't see that one happening. Personally, I'd love to see this too, but I'm skeptic.

On 16/01/2017 at 9:05 PM, Htrag said:

That would be so cool! You could have a rescue 'copter and search dog team. Maybe even roll in some more ice-skating or general wintersports (Luge, bobsled would be so cool).

On 17/01/2017 at 1:30 PM, MAB said:

Which parts of Friends are sexist?

Not the place to go into this. If someone wants to grump about LEGO attracting and maintaining the interest of a demographic they traditionally didn't have, let them. 

On 17/01/2017 at 3:34 PM, Lyichir said:

A sci-fi theme for girls (like Lego Friends and Elves) would be awesome, but I'm not sure what the best approach for that would be... Space? Mechs? Steampunk? It's possible that the licensed DC Super Hero Girls theme already covers too much of that niche for the time being.

--snips--

As a fan of both Agents and Ultra Agents I would not mind another new take on a secret agent/spy theme. The recent CMF spy kind of has me wishing for a new, better take on Alpha Team!

I think a more fantastical aesthetic take on space travel, so something less Star Trek more Stargate/Farscape sort of design with a focus on exploration and meeting/making friends with aliens. That would be coool. 

More Spies is always welcome too.

I want to add something along the lines of a more modern adventure/archaeologist group. Lara Croft or Nathan Drake inspired more than the old pulp serials and Indiana Jones style of things. I love it, but a new spin on the old classic would be welcome. 

7 hours ago, Capparezza said:

:look:

@dr_spock In the light of what has been discussed around here regarding Train sets and their narrow target group, I can't see that one happening. Personally, I'd love to see this too, but I'm skeptic.

The OP did ask for "dream".   Not all dreams do come true but one can still dream.  :wink:

8 minutes ago, dr_spock said:

The OP did ask for "dream".   Not all dreams do come true but one can still dream.  :wink:

If you wanna hold on to something, you better hold on to your dreams (Stevie Wonder) :classic:

I dream of a lot of Train set reissues, like it was done in the past with the Metro Liner...

Here's a "bullet point" summary of a few of the many ideas I've had over these past couple years for further in-house Adventurers and Space lines (the two playtheme genres I wish the most to make a comeback as far as future original themes go):

Adventurers

Space

• Raypunk Space Opera (quite simply, think Flash Gordon Buck Rogers in premise and '30s-era Pulp tone)
  • The Final Frontier (think Star Trek Lost in Space in exploration-based premise and '60s-era tone; or, put another way, an Atompunk Adventurers theme in Space)
  • Space Miners (think LEGO's Power Miners, but in Space, except a little more explicitly defined as such compared to LEGO's earlier Rock Raiders theme)
  • Friends in Space! (i.e. a Minidoll-based Space theme for girls specifically, perhaps similar in tone to LEGO's Elves as one way of approach)
  • Sword and Planet (see Wiki's article on such, with Edgar Rice Burroughs' John Carter of Mars being the most prime example of the genre)
  • Space Racers (as the name suggests, it's LEGO's old Racers theme, but in SPACE!)

2 hours ago, Digger of Bricks said:

Here's a "bullet point" summary of a few of the many ideas I've had over these past couple years for further in-house Adventurers and Space lines (the two playtheme genres I wish the most to make a comeback as far as future original themes go):

• H.P. Lovecraft's Adventurers (think LEGO's Monster Fighters theme meets Lovecraftian RPGs such as Cthulhu: Death May Die in premise, Jazz Age period setting, and Noir/Decopunk tone)

While this be interesting, I think if LEGO were to actually create any theme like this they'd probably avoid any reference to Lovecraft by name and make a point of distancing it from him since he was mega-racist even beyond what was normal for his place and time..

Isn't the point of being in-house that they would not name such inspirations anyway?

2 hours ago, Aanchir said:
5 hours ago, Digger of Bricks said:

• H.P. Lovecraft's Adventurers (think LEGO's Monster Fighters theme meets Lovecraftian RPGs such as Cthulhu: Death May Die in premise, Jazz Age period setting, and Noir/Decopunk tone)

While this be interesting, I think if LEGO were to actually create any theme like this they'd probably avoid any reference to Lovecraft by name and make a point of distancing it from him since he was mega-racist even beyond what was normal for his place and time..

1 hour ago, MAB said:

^ Isn't the point of being in-house that they would not name such inspirations anyway? ^

Exactly! :thumbup: :wink:

Besides, the reason I specifically mentioned that such a theme would take after "Lovecraftian" RPGs rather than Lovecraft's work directly is also primarily due to the latter's somewhat fatalistic themes. Now, whereas with most RPGs I've at least seen based upon such, their premise is often a bit more optimistic regarding triumph over their antagonistic subject matter (pretty much in contraction to the themes of his work). So ideally, such a playtheme from Lego should be no more than Monster Fighters 2.0, just with a Pulp/Noir tonal setting and Lovecraftian monsters this time around. :smug:

22 hours ago, Digger of Bricks said:

Space Racers (as the name suggests, it's LEGO's old Racers theme, but in SPACE!)

I think that partially happened with the 2001 Xalax  subtheme, that was about a race among some little alien looking creatures, that could have well taken place on a different planet. I am not sure, but I also think that was confirmed in the 2001 game LEGO Racers 2.

As far as my ideas, I have a few:

- A Non Licensed Super Heroes Theme.

- Space Pirates. Just think about it. Similar to Disney's 2002 movie Treasure Planet (which by the way, Disney wants to forget they even made it) and maybe with a little Nexo Knights vibe to it, I think this could be pretty awesome. 

- Space Western. This might sound like a dumb idea, but hey, Space Cowboys sound pretty cool to me!

Edited by Lego David