Hi there,

I'm ready to submit an order for some spare parts but I can't understand the difference between two parts that seem almost identical to me: I'm referring to #2738 and #32195b, Technic, Steering Arm 6.5 x 2 with Towball Socket Squared. The first one older and is named Un-Chamfered, the second one is relatively newer and is named Chamfered.

https://www.bricklink.com/v2/catalog/catalogitem.page?P=2738&name=Technic, Steering Arm 6.5 x 2 with Towball Socket Squared, Un-Chamfered&category=[Technic, Steering]#T=S&O={"cond":"N","rpp":"500"}

http://www.bricklink.com/v2/catalog/catalogitem.page?P=32195b&name=Technic, Steering Arm 6.5 x 2 with Towball Socket Rounded, Chamfered&category=[Technic, Steering]#T=S&O={"cond":"N","rpp":"500"}

Which is the difference? When building a MOC, are they interchangeable?

Thanks in advance.

The unchamfered one has a straight edge which may colide into nearby bricks when suspension is moving up and down. The chamfered one has an angle in the end so it allows greater movement. Look the lower part of the ball joint recepticle.

10 minutes ago, Like a Rolling Brick said:

*snip*

Yes, you can incorporate both of them into a build, but the unchamfered one will allow less travel when used with a hub, versus chamfered. Chamfered means that the balljoint adapter has been "cut" at an angle.

Edited by letsbuild
Typo

3 minutes ago, letsbuild said:

the unchamfered one will allow less travel when used with a hub, versus chamfered

Ok, thanks! But, to talk in practical terms, can the older un-chamfeder part be used with the part #x873c01, Steering Arm with 4 Ball Joints, Complete Assembly with Black Wheel Hub?

http://www.bricklink.com/v2/catalog/catalogitem.page?P=x873c01#T=S&O={"cond":"N","rpp":"500"}

Normally this hub is associated with the chamfered version of the arm. Will the un-chamfeder one affect significantly the steering mechanism and/or the suspensions? :look:

Yes, that hub is very tight on room as it is, I doubt you can even attach the old version to be level yet alone at an angle.

Edited by Zero (Zblj)

For 90%+ of applications, they are interchangeable.  Both work fine with those wheel hubs.  There are some cases in which the chamfered versions provide necessary additional clearance.

Ok, thanks! I'll go for the un-chamfered version, as it's very difficult to match the items in my wanted lists to the shops where I can buy them, minimizing the number of the orders. Thank you very much :thumbup:

2 minutes ago, Like a Rolling Brick said:

Ok, thanks! I'll go for the un-chamfered version, as it's very difficult to match the items in my wanted lists to the shops where I can buy them, minimizing the number of the orders. Thank you very much :thumbup:

Good choice!:thumbup:

I have the un-chamfered ones and I noticed one thing, the holes do not allow for pins or axles with stops to be flush with the hole, so I would recommend using the chamfered ones if you need to use the holes with pins frequently. The holes not having a place for pins to rest will shorten the life of them but not noticeably.

24 minutes ago, JJ2 said:

the holes do not allow for pins or axles with stops to be flush with the hole

Neither I noticed this detail on the pics on line, but that's pretty evident on the picture posted by Zux :sceptic:

Hi, after almost 3 weeks my order has been delivered... I ordered four un-chamfered parts, but the seller sent me three chamfered and one un-chamfered arm.

Probably he didn't know the difference beetween the two versions, either...

That's a pic of the parts (#32195b on the top and #2738 below) for future reference:

32629555136_946ccc1a06_c.jpg

As said some posts above, the holes of #2738 aren't beveled, so pins don't fit well. Anyway it's not a problem: these arms are normally used with axles.

32629557166_bf2cebf9e3_c.jpg

Thanks everybody.

1 hour ago, Like a Rolling Brick said:

Hi, after almost 3 weeks my order has been delivered... I ordered four un-chamfered parts, but the seller sent me three chamfered and one un-chamfered arm.

Probably he didn't know the difference beetween the two versions, either...

That's a pic of the parts (#32195b on the top and #2738 below) for future reference:

*snip*

As said some posts above, the holes of #2738 aren't beveled, so pins don't fit well. Anyway it's not a problem: these arms are normally used with axles.

*Snip*

Thanks everybody.

Aw that stinks, are you going to contact him about that? He should send you a replacement.