VaderFan2187

Comparison: 7667 Imperial Dropship vs. 75165 Imperial Trooper Battle Pack

7667 VS 75165  

19 members have voted

1. 1. Which do you prefer?

2. 2. Rate 7667 (1 is worst, 5 is best)

3. 3. Rate 75165 (1 is worst, 5 is best)

4. 4. Which has better minifigures?

5. 5. Which has better value?

6. 6. Which has better playability?

7. 7. Which has better looks?

Today I bring to you another of my comparisons: 7667 Imperial Dropship VS 75165 Imperial Trooper Battle Pack! :vader:

7667-1.jpg?200801171243

tn_75165_alt1_jpg.jpg

7667 Description:

Send in the Imperial Dropship with its stormtrooper squad! Equipped with laser cannons and a detachable troop platform, this speedy space transport is ready to battle the Rebellion on any planet in the Empire. Includes 3 stormtroopers and shadow stormtrooper pilot! Lift back up to drop the clone troop platform into battle! Imperial Dropship is 4" (10 cm) long!

75165 Description:

Boost your LEGO® Star Wars™ collection with the Imperial Trooper Battle Pack. This set features an Imperial walker with space on top for a minifigure, posable legs, two laser cannons and elevating stud shooters and a stud blaster storage clip, plus four minifigures each armed with a stud blaster.

• Includes four minifigures: two Imperial Death Troopers and two Stormtroopers.
  • Features a walker with posable legs, two laser cannons and elevating stud shooters, a stud blaster storage clip and space on top for a minifigure.
  • Jump on the walker, arm your weapons and get ready to move out!
  • Weapons include four stud blasters and extra ammo.
  • This set offers an age-appropriate build and play experience for ages 6-12.
  • Play out action-packed scenes from the blockbuster movie Star Wars:Rogue One.
  • Combine with the 75164 Rebel Trooper Battle Pack for great Star Wars: Rogue One adventures.
  • Walker measures over 3” (10cm) high, 3” (8cm) long and 3” (8cm) wide.

Minifigures

7667: sw166.t1.pngsw188.t1.png

75165: tn_75165_alt4_jpg.jpgtn_75165_alt6_jpg.jpg

75165 Imperial Trooper Battle Pack has 2 Death Troopers and 2 Stormtroopers; 7667 Imperial Dropship has 1 Shadow Stormtrooper and 3 Stormtroopers. 75165's minifigures are definitely more detailed than 7667's ones, but hey, it did come out 9 years after 7667. I personally prefer 75165's minifigures because I prefer Death Troopers over a Shadow Stormtrooper, but this may vary due to personal preference. As both have good minifigures for their time, I call it a tie (no pun intended :tongue:).

7667: 0.5 points. 75165: 0.5 points.

Looks

I favour 75165 over 7667 as it has the more classic and accurate grey color, compared to 7667's mess of black, light grey, and blue. Also, 7667's cockpit is hideous and unfinished.

7667: 0 points. 75165: 1 point.

Playability

7667-0000-xx-13-1.jpgtn_7667-0000-xx-33-1_jpg.jpg

tn_75165_alt3_jpg.jpgtn_75165_alt2_jpg.jpg

7667 has a very nice Troop Deploying function, but its other features are significantly lacking. The cockpit is terribly placed and sometimes breaks off when attempted to be opened. Also, its weapons storage is nowhere near as sophisticated as 75165. Also, 75165 has posable legs, rotating and firing cannons, and stud shooters, which, despite being maligned by many, do add playability to the set. Thus, 75165 wins in playability too.

7667: 0 points. 75165: 1 point.

Value

7667 retailed in 2008 at $9.99 with 81 pieces, so its value is 12.3 cents per piece. 75165 retails this year (2017) at $12.99 with 112 pieces, so its value is 11.6 cents per piece. Yet again, 75165 wins.

7667: 0 points 75165: 1 point

Total scores:

• 7667: 0.5 points

• 75165: 3.5 points

75165 wins against 7667. But which do you prefer? :wink:

Edited by VaderFan2187

3 minutes ago, Aethersprite said:

Sorry, but what's the point of this without any pictures?

Because I'm not an official reviewer, I'd rather not use pictures that aren't my own, and I suck at taking pictures?

Sorry to hear you don't like them :sceptic:

Edited by VaderFan2187

22 minutes ago, VaderFan2187 said:

Because I'm not an official reviewer, I'd rather not use pictures that aren't my own, and I suck at taking pictures?

I'd just be nice to have pictures for reference instead of googling the sets separately to compare them. 

For nostalgia reasons I have to say the Imperial Dropship because that set was so cool when I was younger. Three stormies and then the black stormtrooper? For about ten bucks for a kid who had to ask his parents for a cheap set that was the real goldmine!

12 hours ago, VaderFan2187 said:

You can use official TLG pics :)

4 hours ago, mrcngrck said:

You can use official TLG pics :)

If they aren't on flickr they won't auto-load I think.

But maybe I should post a link to their official/brickset pages.

Just now, mrcngrck said:

... code and they will. I use photobucket pics and everything is allright

I'm working at my web design skills currently but I still suck at it. How do I insert photos via code? :blush:

3 hours ago, VaderFan2187 said:

Ohh, how could I forget that :grin: thanks @mrcngrck

EDIT: Doesn't work? Which mode do I put it on

Try uploading the images(s) through the "Insert other media" tab; copy the address of the image, then paste it in the "Insert image from URL" selection.

20 hours ago, Aethersprite said:

Sorry, but what's the point of this without any pictures?

Is it better now? :wink:

17 minutes ago, LiLmeFromDaFuture said:

Try uploading the images(s) through the "Insert other media" tab; copy the address of the image, then paste it in the "Insert image from URL" selection.

Thanks for your help :thumbup:

7667 wins most of the categories for me. Sure its a non-canon vehicle, but it actually makes sense for the Empire. A quick air ship to drop troops off into combat, or to drop them off in Urban areas for patrols. The new one. 75165 has a similar non-canon feel to it, but I think it is kind of ugly; and makes no sense considering the Empire already has AT-ST's, AT-DP's; and maybe even a few AT-RT models left around from the Clone Wars era. Plus those stud shooters are a knock against the new set compared to the classic blasters in 7667.

As for figures, I think 75165's figs have better detail, but the 7667 has a better ratio (3 normal troops to one shadow trooper). I want to get 75165 once it is released in the states, and might get a few copies of it; but I doubt I will have as much fun with that walker as I have had with 7667's pure swooshable simplicity.

Edited by xboxtravis7992

9 hours ago, VaderFan2187 said:

Is it better now? :wink:

No offence intended at all - but I personally still don't see the need for this comparison, unless it's a review of a re-made ship that compares the new iteration with past ones! Just my opinion. Your post is still well-written nonetheless :classic: You'd make a good reviewer! We don't expect DSLR-level photos on here (although those would be nice), I'm sure iPhone photos will suffice for a review :classic:

2 hours ago, Aethersprite said:

No offence intended at all - but I personally still don't see the need for this comparison, unless it's a review of a re-made ship that compares the new iteration with past ones! 

You mean like my A-Wing Comparison? Yep, now that I think about it I think those make more sense too :laugh:

Edited by VaderFan2187

Man, you love making polls, don't you.:tongue: I don't own either of these (But I've ordered the new battlepack) but I thinkI prefer the new one, for two reasons:

1- Death Troopers are awesome, even though it would be better if they were the same ones as in the shuttle

2- Odd numbers in battle packs really annoy me

I prefer the death trooper over the shadow trooper but I must say that the build is better in 7667. We had a walker recently in a BP and they are the only things we get in BP with speederbike and gun platform. A dropship or any king of flying vehicle would have been better than another walker.

Anyway I plan on getting multiple 75165 Imperial Trooper Battle Pack!

On 2017-01-11 at 8:56 PM, VaderFan2187 said:

I did some reviews even tho I am not an official reviewer. I guess it's better to have a 'non official' review than none at all.
Phone camera a good enough today to be review worthy. Only problem I had was with the lighting.
You should give it a shot since you seem like you love posting :wink:
Also, they are really fun to make. I would have done some on the new set but they don't come out until march in Canada.
Only thing that could happen is that will people will give you feedback on how to improve on your next review.

Edited by duboismerci