Shupp

Custom 3d Printed Steam Drivers

15 hours ago, Shupp said:

They're done. And based roughly off the later SP cab forwards, seeing as I had no other prototypes in mind. I made variants with large and small counterweights, flanged blind, and with and without traction tire grooves. Haven't tested them in person, so I can't guarantee how well they work.

32287248973_1005f6a1f4_b.jpgLarge Boxpok Driver by Shuppiluliumas, on Flickr

https://www.shapeways.com/shops/shupp-s-brick-train-stuff?section=Large+Train+Wheels&s=0

XL Boxpoks coming soon!

Oh! these are beautiful! Is the price per wheel? So if I needs 6 wheels, roughly $30+ for all 6?

21 hours ago, Shupp said:

They're done. And based roughly off the later SP cab forwards, seeing as I had no other prototypes in mind. I made variants with large and small counterweights, flanged blind, and with and without traction tire grooves. Haven't tested them in person, so I can't guarantee how well they work.

Large Boxpok Driver by Shuppiluliumas, on Flickr

https://www.shapeways.com/shops/shupp-s-brick-train-stuff?section=Large+Train+Wheels&s=0

XL Boxpoks coming soon!

Wow! Those are incredible!

Got my wheels in today. They look great. Just wish they had that polished appearance like actual bricks but not much can be done about that since they're being printed. Will post some pictures when I post pictures of my Cab Forward.

-Jeffinslaw

I've gotten mostly positive feedback and some helpful suggestions from the community since I started offering these wheels. Thanks, everyone!

I have had a couple requests for more types of wheels, and I finally got around to making some. First up, XL sized Boxpok drivers:

37786741244_798c7c51e6_b.jpgXL Boxpok Driver by Shuppiluliumas, on Flickr

These are available flanged, with or without traction tire groove, blind, and all can be had with either a larger or smaller counterweight.

I have also made a size of wheel between large and XL:

26726206509_cbd7b35f02_b.jpgLarge/XL Driver by Shuppiluliumas, on Flickr

These are available as spoked drivers right now, but there will probably be a Boxpok available soon. They also come flanged with or without traction tire groove, blind and with small or large counterweight.

I have not yet tested any of these, but I haven't changed any critical dimensions from previous wheels, so hopefully they work as well as the others. Everything can be found at my Shapeways store.

https://www.shapeways.com/shops/shupp-s-brick-train-stuff

I've also added new colors and materials for all of my wheels. Shapeways now offers a premium black strong and flexible, which is about 2x the cost of regular. If anyone tries it, I'd love to hear how they work out. I'm also offering metallic plastic, which is an identical process to Benn Coifman's custom side rods, and the wheels should look the same as those rods.

Most of the colored plastic does not closely align with Lego colors unfortunately, but they might provide a better base if you intend to paint the wheels to match Lego. Cale has done this on his Blue Comet model recently, and the wheels seem to take paint well.

On 11/18/2017 at 8:32 AM, Shupp said:

I've also added new colors and materials for all of my wheels. Shapeways now offers a premium black strong and flexible, which is about 2x the cost of regular. If anyone tries it, I'd love to hear how they work out. I'm also offering metallic plastic, which is an identical process to Benn Coifman's custom side rods, and the wheels should look the same as those rods.

Most of the colored plastic does not closely align with Lego colors unfortunately, but they might provide a better base if you intend to paint the wheels to match Lego. Cale has done this on his Blue Comet model recently, and the wheels seem to take paint well.

I just made an order from some of the Premium black. $140 for 12 wheels, yikes, hope it is worth it! Will probably get some of the XL Boxpok drivers if the premium black works out well. I love the large Boxpok drivers I bought for my SP Cab Forward, just wish the finish was a bit better but not much you can do with 3D printed stuff.

-Jeffinslaw

Just started putting together an order for some of these wheels! They are exactly what I've been looking for!

Might order them post Christmas, as they don't come cheap, and I've got presents for others to buy!

My shapeways order was supposed to arrive today. Sadly it did not, been having major problems with UPS and USPS lately... on another note, is it possible to get these made into .DAT files for MLCad etc.? Would be nice because then we can design for proper spacing which is quite difficult without buying a ton of each part.

-Jeffinslaw

On 2/25/2017 at 7:42 AM, Shupp said:

32287248973_1005f6a1f4_b.jpgLarge Boxpok Driver by Shuppiluliumas, on Flickr

XL Boxpoks coming soon!

These look great! Would love to use these at some point for a UK Bullied Pacific!

Got my shapeways order today! Somehow ended up with eight! additional wheels! Score! Here is a picture comparing the injection molded LEGO flanged/blind drivers to the "Black Premium Strong and Flexible" and to the "Black Strong and Flexible."

38882788001_15f739cee0_c.jpg

3D Printed Boxpok Drivers by Jeffinslaw, on Flickr

As you can see, it is definitely an improvement but still quite a ways off from the injection molded pieces. Wish Ben Fleskes could create some new drivers but injection molding is expensive...

-Jeffinslaw

Edited by Jeffinslaw