Shupp

Custom 3d Printed Steam Drivers

Several members of my club have discussed the need/desire for larger and different sized train wheels, and the possibility of 3d printing them. Earlier this year, I was down with a back injury for a while, so I used the time to figure out some 3d design fundamentals and make my own. I don't have any 3d printing equipment so I put them on shapeways for my own use.

I have had a couple requests for these since word got out that I made them, so I set up a shapeways store:

www.shapeways.com/shops/shupp-s-brick-train-stuff

I have made XXL sized (the next size up from Ben Fleskes' XL sized), a size between medium and large, and a medium diameter train wheel i.e. not a steam driver, just a thin train wheel but with a larger diameter.

31410703584_e694a5a8ce_z.jpgXXL Flanged Driver by Shuppiluliumas, on Flickr

These are being offered at cost (I make no money) because I cannot guarantee the fit of the pin and axle holes and other aspects of the production which are out of my control, nor can I make any easy changes that would solve the problem.

I don't know if I will be making any more different designs, and I probably won't make any changes to the existing ones at this point, but feel free to suggest ideas anyway. Again, I'm not putting these out here for my profit, but just because I already had them myself, and I figured I should share them, and I don't have a ton of time to devote to it.

I have these notes in the store as well, but I will repost them here:

The ML sized wheels do not 'align' with other sizes of LEGO train wheels. If you have a standard small LEGO train wheel, a medium sized driver, a large, and XL and my XXL size drivers running on LEGO train track, the centers of each bigger sized wheel will be one LEGO plate higher off the track than the next smallest. As such ML drivers are not really 'in system' and may cause problems in some designs where multiple wheel sizes are used.

XXL sized wheels, while I think they are the right scale for many LEGO steam engine models, are a little too big for standard R40 LEGO curve track. If one were to use them in a flanged-blind-flanged arrangement to make, for example, a Pacific type locomotive, the two flanged wheels will be so far apart that they will bind in curves. The XXL wheels do work well when two flanged wheels are placed next to one another but, for other arrangements, you will need to look into after market wider radius curves if you are looking to run with these wheels. There are several options out there for wider radius curves, so maybe the curve issue is less important now than it once was.

Hi Shupp,

thanks for sharing your efforts making even bigger train wheels available. I am interested and I need to figure out if I can order them from outside the USA? 

Did you contact Ben Fleskes if there is an option to co-work and make ABS versions of the XXL train wheels? Would be great to see these wheels in ABS in black and red! 

Holger

Thank you so much for this effort!

I've been waiting for larger steam locomotive wheels for so long... Can't believe this dream has become true. :excited:
Unfortunately, I'm working on a couple of small-wheeled models at the moment, but I'll definitely try out your XXL wheels in the near future.

And if I may add a wish: I'd love to see a version of your ML wheel without counterweight, so that it could be used for carriages or leading/trailing axles.

1 hour ago, HoMa said:

Did you contact Ben Fleskes if there is an option to co-work and make ABS versions of the XXL train wheels? Would be great to see these wheels in ABS in black and red!

That's a brilliant suggestion!

Edited by Tenderlok

20 hours ago, HoMa said:

Hi Shupp,

thanks for sharing your efforts making even bigger train wheels available. I am interested and I need to figure out if I can order them from outside the USA? 

Holger

I am pretty new to Shapeways myself, but I believe they ship to most countries.

As for talking to Ben Fleskes, I have not. I was in contact with him a little when he was making the XL wheels, because it was something I was very interested in having. At that time, he did not seem interested in anything larger, because of the issues with them binding in R40 curves. Maybe with all the wider curve options available today, it might be more feasible to make them. I guess it would be worth asking him about. I myself don't know much about injection molding except that it costs a lot of money to make molds!

19 hours ago, Tenderlok said:

Thank you so much for this effort!

I've been waiting for larger steam locomotive wheels for so long... Can't believe this dream has become true. :excited:
Unfortunately, I'm working on a couple of small-wheeled models at the moment, but I'll definitely try out your XXL wheels in the near future.

And if I may add a wish: I'd love to see a version of your ML wheel without counterweight, so that it could be used for carriages or leading/trailing axles.

That's a brilliant suggestion!

I think an ML without counterweight would be possible in the future. It's pretty easy to change 3d files like that. I do have an M sized train wheel available that can be used for that. No counterweight or pin hole, though I can understand maybe wanting even larger wheels like that for some models. If I add new things to the store, I will try to post them in here.

20 hours ago, Tenderlok said:

1 hour ago, Shupp said:

It's pretty easy to change 3d files like that. 

I'd second this request but for standard Lego size drivers - my electrics shouldn't have counterweights. I've never investigated Shapeways before, but what programs do you use to come up with the 3D models for these? I'm fairly proficient at AutoCAD Inventor. I need to dig a bit more into the internet, but some of the electrics had wheels with what look like springs around them, so I may want to try for those.

24 minutes ago, CrispyBassist said:

I've never investigated Shapeways before, but what programs do you use to come up with the 3D models for these? I'm fairly proficient at AutoCAD Inventor. I need to dig a bit more into the internet, but some of the electrics had wheels with what look like springs around them, so I may want to try for those.

High-five for Inventor!  That's what I use to design the tracks.  Just save a copy of your model as an .stl file (on the save dialog, click options and change from cm to mm and set to high-resolution), and you'll be good to go.

Maybe a local school or college or university has a 3D printing service available to the general public. I know some UPS Stores have 3D printing, but it may be extremely expensive even for a small print. Thingiverse may have some interesting model files to download.

23 minutes ago, BubbaFit45531 said:

Maybe a local school or college or university has a 3D printing service available to the general public. I know some UPS Stores have 3D printing, but it may be extremely expensive even for a small print. Thingiverse may have some interesting model files to download.

Your local public library may have 3D printing available for free or a small fee.  Last summer I made some 13L thin Technic liftarms in 123D and printed 4 of them for $2 at the public library.  It was PLA plastic and not ABS. I guess they want to be enviro-friendly.  The printout seem to work fine as connecting rods to the LEGO driver wheels.

On 1/12/2017 at 2:54 PM, CrispyBassist said:

I'd second this request but for standard Lego size drivers - my electrics shouldn't have counterweights. I've never investigated Shapeways before, but what programs do you use to come up with the 3D models for these? I'm fairly proficient at AutoCAD Inventor. I need to dig a bit more into the internet, but some of the electrics had wheels with what look like springs around them, so I may want to try for those.

Well, I don't have a standard sized wheel design worked up yet, so that would take a little longer, but it's doable. I've never seen wheels like the ones you're describing with springs. That sounds interesting. I use SolidWorks myself. Just what I happened to have access to. Models for wheels are probably basic enough that most CAD programs are up to the task.

18 hours ago, dr_spock said:

Your local public library may have 3D printing available for free or a small fee.  Last summer I made some 13L thin Technic liftarms in 123D and printed 4 of them for $2 at the public library.  It was PLA plastic and not ABS. I guess they want to be enviro-friendly.  The printout seem to work fine as connecting rods to the LEGO driver wheels.

I had no idea libraries had this sort of thing. That's really interesting.

@Shupp, a few of the libraries in my area are starting to offer 3D printing services too! You may want to check your local college or jc campus' libraries.

@dr_spock  I would love to get a copy of your liftarms' file! How much stress can they manage? (message me?)

6 hours ago, Shupp said:

[...] I've never seen wheels like the ones you're describing with springs. [...]

This is the only photo I can find that shows them well enough (click to see larger): 

32257611096_a829aa65b2_c.jpgEF-1 Wheels by Matt Csenge, on Flickr

I can't find any other info on them though. 

On 12.1.2017 at 7:29 PM, Shupp said:

I think an ML without counterweight would be possible in the future. It's pretty easy to change 3d files like that. I do have an M sized train wheel available that can be used for that. No counterweight or pin hole, though I can understand maybe wanting even larger wheels like that for some models. If I add new things to the store, I will try to post them in here.

Thanks a lot!

As for the "wheels with springs" mentioned by @CrispyBassist:

These are wheels for electric locos with quill drive (a more detailed description, though in German language, can be found here).
Here's another picture:
640px-15Be44BTBauma-20121014i.jpg

4 hours ago, Tenderlok said:

These are wheels for electric locos with quill drive (a more detailed description, though in German language, can be found here).

Ah! I should have put it together that all the New Haven locomotives with quill drives have these wheels. Thanks for the Wikipedia pages! I don't know German but Google translate got it close enough that I could understand the principles. Now I can get going in Inventor...

I have added several more types to my shop:

Medium sized flanged and blind drivers with no pin

M-L sized flanged and blind drivers with no pin

Large sized flanged and blind drivers with no pin

M-L thin train wheel

Large thin train wheel

https://www.shapeways.com/shops/shupp-s-brick-train-stuff

On 1/16/2017 at 5:29 PM, M_slug357 said:

@Shupp, any chance of a smaller-than-medium-sized wheel? MS for short?

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you. I can probably do that. Are you thinking of a thin train wheel, or a tick driving wheel? The first one is probably easier, but a thick driver may also be possible.

@Shupp, I would definitely go for both a thick driver wheel and thin carriage wheel!!

But logically, if you could get the thin one out for testing purposes, that'd be great!

9 hours ago, Shupp said:

I have added several more types to my shop:

That's great news, thank you very, very much!

Out of curiosity, I had already ordered a bunch of your XXL drivers and have to say they are great. The fit of axles and pins is very good, and not a single wheel shows the dye problem you mention in your Shapeways store. My only concern is how wear-resistant the material is, but that won't turn out until I have completed a matching MOC for the wheels...

2 hours ago, Tenderlok said:

That's great news, thank you very, very much!

Out of curiosity, I had already ordered a bunch of your XXL drivers and have to say they are great. The fit of axles and pins is very good, and not a single wheel shows the dye problem you mention in your Shapeways store. My only concern is how wear-resistant the material is, but that won't turn out until I have completed a matching MOC for the wheels...

I'm glad to hear the fit was good. As for how well they hold up under wear, we have run some of these drivers at our last train show with no problems so far. I haven't seen any problems in the tests I've done, but they are still pretty new. Definitely let me know how they hold up for you if you run them a lot.

I also ordered a bunch of XXL drivers and blind drivers. Shipping was quick and no stress with extra tax because the DHL parcel came from the Netherlands to Germany ... both (still?) in the EU.

The wheels look amazing and it is a totally new experience to build with such huge wheels. So much space below the center axle. Some Technic holes seems to be a bit too loose so the wheels slip on the axles. But  this is just a minor issue, I can chew on the ends of the axles to get more fiction.

Unfortunately I can not show pictures, just started to work in a Pacific style engine. For me and other German stream train heads red drivers with  standard spokes and the counter weight would be a great addition.

But overall: great that we have a chance to purchase such helpful add-on for our LEGO hobby! 

Holger

Hey Shupp,

What's the possibility of creating Boxpok drivers in the standard large Lego wheel size? I've got a Southern Pacific Cab Forward that I'm about 99% done with. I'd love to put on some more realistic looking wheels and the Boxpok ones would definitely fit the bill since I'm pretty sure that is what is used on the real thing.

Thanks, Jeffinslaw

I've added all of shapeway's polished color options to all my wheels. I have never ordered polished pieces so I don't know how they will come out, but if anyone wants to try them and let me know, that'd be awesome.

On 1/16/2017 at 5:29 PM, M_slug357 said:

@Shupp, any chance of a smaller-than-medium-sized wheel? MS for short?

I have done it and uploaded them. No idea how they will work, so some brave soul gets to be the first to test them!

On 2/7/2017 at 2:58 PM, Jeffinslaw said:

Hey Shupp,

What's the possibility of creating Boxpok drivers in the standard large Lego wheel size? I've got a Southern Pacific Cab Forward that I'm about 99% done with. I'd love to put on some more realistic looking wheels and the Boxpok ones would definitely fit the bill since I'm pretty sure that is what is used on the real thing.

Thanks, Jeffinslaw

I intend to do this at some point. The boxpok designs take a little longer to do, but I would like some as well. I will post here again when I get them done.

1 hour ago, Shupp said:

I intend to do this at some point. The boxpok designs take a little longer to do, but I would like some as well. I will post here again when I get them done.

I look forward to it! Will buy some as soon as they are ready.

-Jeffinslaw

2 hours ago, Shupp said:

I've added all of shapeway's polished color options to all my wheels. I have never ordered polished pieces so I don't know how they will come out, but if anyone wants to try them and let me know, that'd be awesome.

I have done it and uploaded them. No idea how they will work, so some brave soul gets to be the first to test them!

Well I'm all for a nice set of XL Boxpok. You know I have a WM Challenger to fix at some point. Thanks so much for your work with these. It's stuff like this that pushed the LEGO train hobby to new heights.

Cale

On 2/7/2017 at 2:58 PM, Jeffinslaw said:

Hey Shupp,

Thanks, Jeffinslaw

They're done. And based roughly off the later SP cab forwards, seeing as I had no other prototypes in mind. I made variants with large and small counterweights, flanged blind, and with and without traction tire grooves. Haven't tested them in person, so I can't guarantee how well they work.

32287248973_1005f6a1f4_b.jpgLarge Boxpok Driver by Shuppiluliumas, on Flickr

https://www.shapeways.com/shops/shupp-s-brick-train-stuff?section=Large+Train+Wheels&s=0

XL Boxpoks coming soon!

Thanks for sharing your expertise with the community! One of these days, I'm going to get around to building a Mallet of some kind (perhaps a Norfolk and Western Y6B) and will definitely be using your drivers. One suggestion for future designs would be some counter weights for outside frame locomotives such as pictured below, 

32722698280_bcb1391730.jpgk27_2smd by Scott Roys, on Flickr

32289786973_ca453674d6.jpg1942-ge-45-ton-01 by Scott Roys, on Flickr