McWaffel

Combining PF and 9V into one useful layout

Hey guys,

I've recently been trying hard to come up with a useful layout to use both my old 9V trains and my PF trains on the same layout. I just can't come up with anything that works and is interesting. Most of the time I end up with one loop and a dozen sidings and that would only allow me to run one train at once which is a bit boring. I have a decent amount of track (150+ pieces), both 9V and PF, but I just can't figure out something that I like. Here are a couple examples of some layouts I came up with:

Bildschirmfoto 2017-01-11 um 15.23.31.png Bildschirmfoto 2017-01-11 um 15.24.23.png

I don't really like either of them too much but I can't come up with anything better than these two. 
I'd like to know how you designed your layouts and how you go about designing new ones. I'd like to utilize as much of the track I have as possible. I've already looked at dozens of pictures online but most layouts are either too big or not interesting enough. Looking forward to seeing yours :) 

What's the maximum dimensions you have available for your layout?

I'm currently designing a layout and first thing was to measure my available space. Afterwards (well, actually right now) I'm fiddling with BlueBrick software, trying out lots of different possibilities I could build on the given space, not taking into account what rails I have on stock. To filter out what I can build with my inventory or with minimum extra cash, that will be my next step.

If you have PF and 9V mixed, I would at least build 2 seperate loops, so you can drive both independently.

Edited by Capparezza

1 hour ago, Capparezza said:

What's the maximum dimensions you have available for your layout?

I'm currently designing a layout and first thing was to measure my available space. Afterwards (well, actually right now) I'm fiddling with BlueBrick software, trying out lots of different possibilities I could build on the given space, not taking into account what rails I have on stock. To filter out what I can build with my inventory or with minimum extra cash, that will be my next step.

If you have PF and 9V mixed, I would at least build 2 seperate loops, so you can drive both independently.

I have 3x2m of space planned for the layout. In the screenshots above, the big loop is supposed to be built out of 9V track and the rest is a mix of PF and 9V where necessary to fill in gaps. I just don't find them appealing too much.

Maybe because of the rail crossing? I threw away 2 or 3 layouts with the crossing, somehow it just didn't work out the way I wanted... I know it's an expensive piece of track and I do like it very much, but if it's no use, better leave it out :laugh:

I agree. I have two crossings because I used to build this track back when I only had my first 9V train as a kid:

PHeYNZO.png

But now that I have more 9V track and new PF track, I just can't find a good use for them... I like them a lot but the 90° angles are very limiting. :/ too bad really. 

In real life every piece of railroad track has a purpose. Think about what do you want to see on your layout? Lots of trains running in circles? A point to point railroad. Switching freight cars?

I advise you to read some model railroad planning literature (lots of it is available for free in the net).

Write down the Givens And Druthers for your Lego model railroad.

Think about this and develop a trackplan with a purpose.

15 hours ago, dr_spock said:

How about a dual layer layout to use up as much tracks as possible?

I don't think I have enough space to fit an incline for two layers. I'd like all the PF trains to reach all areas of the layout.

11 hours ago, Brickwolf said:

In real life every piece of railroad track has a purpose. Think about what do you want to see on your layout? Lots of trains running in circles? A point to point railroad. Switching freight cars?

I advise you to read some model railroad planning literature (lots of it is available for free in the net).

Write down the Givens And Druthers for your Lego model railroad.

Think about this and develop a trackplan with a purpose.

Thanks for the advice. I will look into it

5 hours ago, McWaffel said:

I don't think I have enough space to fit an incline for two layers. I'd like all the PF trains to reach all areas of the layout.

For lack of space, you could use a train elevator to move trains between levels. Since you're planning to automate your layout, it can be interesting to code something in C++ that automatically will break down a long train into smaller sections to go up/down the elevator and reassemble the train on the new level.  :wink:

@dr_spock WTF mate, what a hilarious idea. :laugh:

I was having another crazy idea while reading yours: What about a train depot that is located BENEATH the table. Have one "output slot" on the table, were trains or wagons from the hidden depot underneath get transported / lifted to. At the output slot they can be brought onto the rails of your layout. Somehow like handling planes on a carrier ....

That would save you a lot of sidings to park your rolling stock on.

Edited by Capparezza

55 minutes ago, dr_spock said:

For lack of space, you could use a train elevator to move trains between levels. Since you're planning to automate your layout, it can be interesting to code something in C++ that automatically will break down a long train into smaller sections to go up/down the elevator and reassemble the train on the new level.  :wink:

daaammmn. Good idea. Sounds really complicated :pir-oh: I like it. That would require a lot of very precise mechanisms.

20 minutes ago, Capparezza said:

[...]

I was having another crazy idea while reading yours: What about a train depot that is located BENEATH the table. Have one "output slot" on the table, were trains or wagons from the hidden depot underneath get transported / lifted to. [...]

Like a train/rolling stock dispenser-thing? :D Sounds really interesting. But wouldn't you want your rolling stock constantly displayed? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Just now, McWaffel said:

Like a train/rolling stock dispenser-thing? :D Sounds really interesting. But wouldn't you want your rolling stock constantly displayed? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Yepp, exactly. If you make the layout programmable, you could switch wagons and / or locos on a random or preprogrammed basis.

Well, at the end of the day you can move your rolling stock back into your "secure & locked up compartment" below the table. Let's talk about safety and theft prevention, we don't want any visitors or little kids to grab your precious babies, do we? :laugh:

I guess so :D But then I would need some mechanical way of decoupling cars. I already have a few ideas how one could do that but that would require a lot of testing and I'm no where close to that part of my project yet. I think to get me started I'll build something usable with at least one full loop, a 12 track pieces long, two tracked train station and I'll go from there. I'm going to use the Givens & Druthers method that @Brickwolf suggested to get everything sorted out, then make a plan and reserve some space for a trainlevator :laugh: I'm probably going to use a combination of your and @dr_spock's ideas where it's going to become a three storied trainlevator, the bottom being your idea, the top being dr_spock's idea and the middle being access to the lower level tracks. Exciting things! Many ideas going through my head now :D 

Edited by McWaffel

Hell, I really want to see that 3-storey-layout happening! It will be legen-     (wait for it)      -dary!!!! :laugh:

The Givens & Druthers method just happened to give me some help in a non-LEGO-related problem, thanks a lot for mentioning this very good "problem solution" method, @Brickwolf !