Bob De Quatre

LEGO Sci-Fi 2017 Pictures and Rumors

There's a certain sort of logic in Monstrox and his forces becoming the Blacktron to Merlok and the Nexo Knights' Classic Space...

I'm definitely hoping to see if I can make a Blacktron II-esque bubble cockpit out of those Trans. Bright Green TIE Fighter windscreens!

Suddenly I can see myself spending money on Nexo. The color scheme is reminiscent of Blacktron II, and looks great. I wish we could get a better look at the villains.

3 hours ago, Aanchir said:

I'd say they have a nice home in action/adventure themes since they incorporate more magic and fantasy elements than most other themes the Sci-Fi forum covers, and more sci-fi or modern-day elements than most other themes the Fantasy and Historic forum covers. The new stuff definitely has more of a tech angle than past stuff, but digital or not, Merlok and Monstrox are still effectively wizards casting spells to power up their forces. You don't see that sort of thing in, say, Space or Exo-Force. Nor even in other sci-fi leaning action themes like Rock Raiders, Alpha Team, and Aquazone.

I'm talking about the look of the sets, not the content of the media.  But yes, of course it has a home in Action / Adventure.  I was just pointing out that this wave is much more Sci-Fi than the last few.

2 hours ago, Space Police XVIII said:

It's got kings and queens, monsters and wizards, knights and squires and horses and two castle sets of course it couldn't possibly be a castle theme, what was Lego thinking

In name only, for the most part...

2 hours ago, Lyichir said:

There's a certain sort of logic in Monstrox and his forces becoming the Blacktron to Merlok and the Nexo Knights' Classic Space...

Blacktron fought against  Futuron & SP, not Classic Space....... 

Edited by Hart New Bob

2 hours ago, Hart New Bob said:

Blacktron fought against  Futuron & SP, not Classic Space....... 

Eh... It's close enough for me to see parallels, in any case. "Classic Space" isn't really a theme so much as a catch-all category for space sets before the introduction of other "sub-brands", and Futuron could arguably be seen as a continuation of the same general faction.

I must say I'm glad to see something other than transparent neon orange or neon green. I would prefer regular old transparent green to trans bright green but whatever. Just glad we're getting any colored canopies to be honest.

6 hours ago, danth said:

I must say I'm glad to see something other than transparent neon orange or neon green. I would prefer regular old transparent green to trans bright green but whatever. Just glad we're getting any colored canopies to be honest.

I asked the original rumor source early on about the shade of transparent green utilized in these sets, and he said that it was the older, darker one. That was certainly was surprising to hear, as I thought that it is just one of those colors that doesn't fit with the style and aesthetics of most sets today. 

Well, it didn't turn out to be the case after all. :sceptic:

17 hours ago, Lyichir said:

Eh... It's close enough for me to see parallels, in any case. "Classic Space" isn't really a theme so much as a catch-all category for space sets before the introduction of other "sub-brands", and Futuron could arguably be seen as a continuation of the same general faction.

Ok then.......Speaking of that, I think the "Classic Space" theme should be called LEGOLAND Space, because that is what it was called back then........(it might also reduce confusion)

2 hours ago, Hart New Bob said:

Ok then.......Speaking of that, I think the "Classic Space" theme should be called LEGOLAND Space, because that is what it was called back then........(it might also reduce confusion)

The trouble with that is that Futuron, Blacktron, Space Police, and M:Tron all also had the same "LEGOLAND Space System" branding that the Classic Space sets did. So "LEGOLAND Space" doesn't really help distinguish things any more clearly than "Classic Space" does.

Speaking of that… there's a part of me that still wonders if we'll ever see another wave of sets that's branded solely as "LEGO Space", the same as how the latest Castle and Pirates sets were branded as "LEGO Castle" and "LEGO Pirates". Space is really the only one of those classic themes that hasn't really ever been designed with that sort of "back to basics" approach, and while those Castle and Pirates waves were sort of looked down on as stale and samey, I kind of wonder if all the nostalgia for classic space sets (and the lack of a similar approach in recent memory) would make people think about a Space wave like that at all differently.

51 minutes ago, Aanchir said:

The trouble with that is that Futuron, Blacktron, Space Police, and M:Tron all also had the same "LEGOLAND Space System" branding that the Classic Space sets did. So "LEGOLAND Space" doesn't really help distinguish things any more clearly than "Classic Space" does.

But the Classic Space sets were Solely called "LEGOLAND Space" while of course, the factions after that had names........I think it is time to go back on topic now....(whatever that was)

Edited by Hart New Bob

4 hours ago, Hart New Bob said:

Funny how to some people Classic Space is only the the first few years of Space: blue spaceships with grey wings and trans yellow canopies, etc. To others Classic Space includes everything before Blacktron & Futuron. And others still refer to anything before Life On Mars as Classic Space. I think it depends on how old you are.

2 hours ago, Aanchir said:

Speaking of that… there's a part of me that still wonders if we'll ever see another wave of sets that's branded solely as "LEGO Space", the same as how the latest Castle and Pirates sets were branded as "LEGO Castle" and "LEGO Pirates". Space is really the only one of those classic themes that hasn't really ever been designed with that sort of "back to basics" approach...

Man that is so true now that you mention it. Just makes me feel more miffed as a Space fan. We are so deprived!

13 hours ago, Hart New Bob said:

Then what did you mean by "legolandland"?

He means Legolandland. Like toyland. In this case Legoland is toy and land is well...land

2 hours ago, LegoMonorailFan said:

He means Legolandland. Like toyland. In this case Legoland is toy and land is well...land

I still don't get it.  Why would he say something so random?  Is there something I'm missing?

Edited by Hart New Bob

:facepalm:

Anyway... to me, Classic Space is easily defined. The stuff from before Futuron/Blacktron (old helmet, full torso logo, no faction name). It's a bit different from the Classic Castle label, that one is hard to pin down.

Vintage Space is the one where the lines get moved around. Is it the first few years, the first decade, the first 2 decades...

If we were to get a "back to basics" style Space theme, it would look nothing like the ones of old, builds have changed so remarkably since the last one. At least with the other 2 themes buildings are more the focus, and buildings are still very much parts-on-top-of-parts unlike the Lego spaceships of today. Much less studs involved nowadays.

On 23/09/2017 at 6:27 AM, Space Police XVIII said:

I'm all for it, as long as City's renamed to Legolandland.

Haha. Well I think it was Legoland Town?

On 22/9/2017 at 8:40 PM, Aanchir said:

Speaking of that… there's a part of me that still wonders if we'll ever see another wave of sets that's branded solely as "LEGO Space", the same as how the latest Castle and Pirates sets were branded as "LEGO Castle" and "LEGO Pirates".

It would be awesome, but i'm pretty sure they're not doing it. They would be too plain and too little interesting for kids of today. If any space theme comes out, it will have the Good vs Bad setup like anything published in later years. But a nice, "branded" theme would be great too. "Branded" like in Galaxy Squad, which I mantain was a very underrated theme

10 hours ago, msx80 said:

It would be awesome, but i'm pretty sure they're not doing it. They would be too plain and too little interesting for kids of today. If any space theme comes out, it will have the Good vs Bad setup like anything published in later years. But a nice, "branded" theme would be great too.

This is why we need - say it with me - Space Themed Creator sets! :sweet:

3 hours ago, danth said:

SPACE THEMED CREATOR SETS!!! :snicker: :head_back:

Seriously though, what has happened to that interview Technic mod Jim had with the one Creator Expert designer back in late May? :shrug_confused:

On 25/9/2017 at 11:12 PM, danth said:

i don't know.. They should have minifig, a common "ground" (if not story), and usually creator sets don't have these things