Bob De Quatre

LEGO Sci-Fi 2017 Pictures and Rumors

7 hours ago, Megagan said:

I am not sure what to think of this yet. Even having seen the info elsewhere I had to check my calendar and make sure it was not April 1st and I was reading some sort of joke.

Will be interesting to see if anything really comes of it though.

My prediction: It will be a Space musical, and people will like the Space stuff but hate that it's a musical. It will flop. Lego will say "see Classic Space fans, everybody hates space that's not Star Wars or some other license. Sorry!"

This is based on my so-far predictive theory that the universe hates me. :D

On 2/20/2017 at 7:47 PM, Bob De Quatre said:

Agreed!

I was a bit dissapointed when I saw the CMF... Nothing very interesting sci-fi wise...

Well, some hate that minifig eh ?

I like it a lot, I'm a bit of classic sci-fi fan so it reminds me very much of Flash Gordon/Buck Rogers style sci-fi.

off topic, slightly: What if the next Lego movie is a not a musical, but a space opera? Rough translation, speaker / user error, intentional vague to throw us off... the reasons are endless.

Crap. Was going to give that one a miss. What's the bet the torso sells for billions on BL. My local source for CMFs has gone, so the aftermarket is my only way of getting multiples without multitudes of unwanted minifigs

Man. I've been getting a few of each space-related CMF but this guy...I might have to get at least 10!

Just now, Space Police XVIII said:

cmf spaceguy approved

Too bad the bley airtanks are clone parts!

Yes, they are.   You purists can have your eye-searingly hideous mismatched minifigs, I'll be over here pointing and laughing. no, not really

also, for anyone that cares, Gudi makes those. 

Here I was thinking I would only get one of the rocket boy and now I just don't know how many i'm going to have to get.

i for one love the retro space man. It's nothing about CS or even space in general but it's a huge tribute to sci-fi of the sixties.

i agree that ninjago has some cool space related stuff and ideas. For example, i always tougth that Condrai Copter  would be an awesome scifi dropship with just a change of colorscheme (and less spikes).

If the news is real that TLM2 will be set in space (musical or not) we are in for some cool space models, aren't we? They would surely nod at CS (like in TLM1), perhaps to oppose to cool modern ships. Btw, i also think it will not be a musical, it would be too risky of a move, i don't think kids like musicals. They didn't even had sung parts in TLM1 (except for the main song).

The kind of scifi i'd like to see most is space exploration, with both spaceship and ground based vehicles. Hopefully non conflictual and with no mistic, supernatural or magic traits. But i reckon they'll make some more mixed genre, if they ever do something.

On 4/26/2017 at 11:25 AM, KDog said:

That IS a nice look.

With mine, I'm not even trying for the old style.  A neck bracket and 1x1 tile makes for a decent modernized life-support pack, too.

the new guys

Edited by Space Police XVIII

On 3/18/2017 at 0:24 PM, Murdoch17 said:

off topic, slightly: What if the next Lego movie is a not a musical, but a space opera? Rough translation, speaker / user error, intentional vague to throw us off... the reasons are endless.

http://screenrant.com/lego-movie-2-original-ending-will-ferrell-fourth-wall/

This article speculates that Chris Pratt's comments about the sequel's "fourth wall breaking" may actually be what Chris McKay's "space" implication refer too. Perhaps that's plausible, maybe? :sceptic:

On 3/10/2017 at 5:06 AM, lightningtiger said:

Well, some hate that minifig eh ?

I like it a lot, I'm a bit of classic sci-fi fan so it reminds me very much of Flash Gordon/Buck Rogers style sci-fi.

Same here! :sweet: I've seen a lot of people clamoring for a retro spaceman, but I've always expected a 50's bubble helmeted space explorer before this.

On 4/4/2017 at 7:03 PM, Tragic Banjo said:

Check out what's under Rocket Boy's costume!

Reveal hidden contents

33022044123_317428cbd3_b.jpg

I don't care much for costumed CMFs, so I didn't think much of this figure until I saw this. In a way, the rocket costume was used a a literal vehicle for this torso. :laugh:

Some nice Space-type models in the upcoming NK sets... (anyone who continues to maintain that it's a Castle theme is seriously confused). Reminds me of a lot of Blacktron III theme mocs.

At the very least, there's a bunch of trans bright green parts

3 hours ago, Artanis I said:

(anyone who continues to maintain that it's a Castle theme is seriously confused

LEGO itself does that

Anyway, I was right: the villains do look like Blacktron!

6 hours ago, Artanis I said:

Some nice Space-type models in the upcoming NK sets...

uh are there pictures available to see somewhere?

1 minute ago, msx80 said:

uh are there pictures available to see somewhere?

Not officially, no. Site rhymes with "edit"

No large models

i even checked it before asking but somehow missed the post :P

Some cool stuff indeed, definitely blacktron vibe and definitely an improvement over the second wave of NK. I also like the good guys tank

7 hours ago, Artanis I said:

Reminds me of a lot of Blacktron III theme mocs.

Same here!

I know the transparent parts and canopies are not the same colour but give the same vibes. 

10 hours ago, Robert8 said:

LEGO itself does that

And they are seriously confused.

This new wave definitely fits here more than it fits in Castle, and it fits here more than any previous wave.  But I'd have put them all here.  They are all Sci-Fi, even if there are elements of Castle thrown in.

14 minutes ago, x105Black said:

And they are seriously confused.

This new wave definitely fits here more than it fits in Castle, and it fits here more than any previous wave.  But I'd have put them all here.  They are all Sci-Fi, even if there are elements of Castle thrown in.

I'd say they have a nice home in action/adventure themes since they incorporate more magic and fantasy elements than most other themes the Sci-Fi forum covers, and more sci-fi or modern-day elements than most other themes the Fantasy and Historic forum covers. The new stuff definitely has more of a tech angle than past stuff, but digital or not, Merlok and Monstrox are still effectively wizards casting spells to power up their forces. You don't see that sort of thing in, say, Space or Exo-Force. Nor even in other sci-fi leaning action themes like Rock Raiders, Alpha Team, and Aquazone.

Edited by Aanchir