7733 Truck & Forklift Review

index2.jpg

Lego City Truck & Forklift

Set # 7733

Pieces: 343

Price: $24.99 (USD)

Store of Purchase: Toys R'Us

Release Date: January 2008

After discussion of the mysterious yellow cargo contained in this new City transport set and a visit to my local TRU, I purchased this set. I was immediately pleased with the price/piece which I think is pretty reasonable (343 pieces for $25).

Starting with the box, great City artwork boasting "Special Edition":

01-boxfront.jpg

Tha backside of the box (no alternate models comes as no surprise):

02-boxback.jpg

The dreaded decals (I was looking for the skull and bones for radioactive, but no such luck):

03-decals.jpg

My favorite part of the set, a very clever forklift:

04-forklift1.jpg

Side view:

05-forklift2.jpg

And the backside:

06-forkliftback.jpg

What I like about the forklift is the bars across the top giving the vehicle a "real-life" design. The double wheels in the front with two pieces that can hold the wheels also adds to a clever design:

07-forklift3.jpg

I like the figs (although not much new - perhaps I'll make the driver into a werewolf later):

08-figs.jpg

The set includes three cargo pallets, the first some sort of fuel with gauge:

09-cargofuel.jpg

The 2nd, two Indy containers, and a square 2x4 brick (I have not put the decals on yet):

11-cargocases.jpg

And the mysterious yellow cargo. Your guess is as good as mine :-$ .

10-cargomd.jpg

On to the truck, the front section:

12-truckfront1.jpg

The front grill:

13-truckgrill.jpg

Another angle:

14-truckside.jpg

The back:

15-truckback.jpg

I like the opening mechanism that is very simple, but works well. Also is the large plate tile piece inside. I like this because the entire interior has no studs:

16-truckopen.jpg

And the trailer section of the truck:

17-back1.jpg

Orange and yellow tail lights:

18-backback.jpg

And the rear trailer open:

19-backopen.jpg

The complete set:

20-complete.jpg

Summary:

This is a neat set that reminds me a bit of classic Lego City (but larger). It is very playable and has a lot of accessories adding to the value. The build was very simple, and enjoyable (took me about an hour). It is a great addition to a number of City sets including the Cargo Ship, Container Stacker, the World City Cargo Train, and the new Cargo Plane.

As I mentioned previously, I have not yet put on the decals that I'm sure will really add to the overall look of the set. The forklift is awesome and I like the cargo containers. The truck could have benefited from a few additional details (chrome smokers, and an undercarriage box that really opens). Considering everything, I would buy this set again.

Hope you enjoy and perhaps this mysterious cargo will make its way into a Brickster Mystery. *y*

The forklift is amazing, and nice design of the opening side doors aswell. Thanks for the review, I may actually pick this one up ;-)

Im guessing the main difference is the fact that the box says special edition.

It's either that or it's a ToysRUs exclusive set, as my Armoured Drilling Unit box also had special edition on it.

It's either that or it's a ToysRUs exclusive set, as my Armoured Drilling Unit box also had special edition on it.

Special Edition mean that it's a store exclusive set. the cargo theme is a TRU exclusive, and another example is thr tie crawler is exclusive to Target.

also, can th doors be opened on either side?

Thanks for the review! That forklift is wonderful! *wub* I may have to pick this one up convince dragonator to pick this one up! :-D Too bad it can only hold 1 crate. :-/

~Peace

can th doors be opened on either side?

No, just one side.

I'm not sure why the "Special Edition". It appears to be the same set as Lego SAH?

Hmmm, put it in my pirate port and use it to carry rum!

Perhaps that's the mysterious cargo. Mr. Tiber replaced the petro with rum... :-D

Thank you very much for your nice review, The Brickster! *y*

Although I really like this set I

Thanks for the review.

I think the special edition is just for making people intrested and make them want to buy that set or something.

I think the special edition is just for making people intrested and make them want to buy that set or something.

Hmm, that's a thought, but why would they pick this particular set?

I would expect they'd do that with a slightly bigger set, like the heavy hauler perhaps.

Why do you think they'de pick this one?

Hmm, that's a thought, but why would they pick this particular set?

I would expect they'd do that with a slightly bigger set, like the heavy hauler perhaps.

Why do you think they'de pick this one?

Good question. Maybe it's merely a gimick to help push the city sets with all the other competing themes. The cement mixer is a special edition as well.

this set looks pretty good to me, It is six wide isn't it? That is nice for a truck like this

Yes, 6-wide. The only problem with these big trucks is how they look on the city roadplates (I've always thought too big), compared to Classic City trucks.

Getting off topic, I'd like to see Lego make a car transport truck. I don't think I've ever seen one in Lego. It would definately have to be 6-wide, or even larger.

Great review! My only grip with this set is you can only fit one pallet in the truck. It should have been the same size as the trailer so you can at least fit 2 pallets. Seems like alotof wasted space. If i'm going to transport cargo, i want to use the maximum amount of space aviable!! X-D

Great review! My only grip with this set is you can only fit one pallet in the truck. It should have been the same size as the trailer so you can at least fit 2 pallets. Seems like alotof wasted space. If i'm going to transport cargo, i want to use the maximum amount of space aviable!! X-D

That's a fair gripe. Someone else mentioned it above as well. I thought the same thing when I went to load it.

I got this set last week and just to add a few of my own points

CONS:

- The forklift spring feels a bit flimsy - I don't know how long it will last or how much stress it would take - and the end coil isn't really heavily secured to the lift mechanism. Time will tell on that one.

- 30 stickers! It's the Exo-Force of City sets! The truck set does look less plain with them on though. I would reccomend lining them up with the green brick in the second container rather than applying the first lot without a guide or they may end up uneven

- It's very hard to put the minifig in the forklift without dismantling (or breaking open) the set slightly

- The cargo box attached to the main cabin of the truck doesn't hold very strongly

- Minifigs are dull - that dark blue torso with pattern is way overused

- green stickers are a different green to the bricks themselves

PROS:

- lots of nice pieces including the large white panels and cargo pieces, and i like the green/ white colour scheme

- the cargo doors open well and the hingeing mechanism doesn't stand out to the detriment of the rest of the set (as some people have complained about the mail airplane)

- studless floor in cargo containers makes it easy to move pallets in and out

- fits in better than the Heavy Hauler to a minifig sized city

- new 1x1x4 slope! (at least I hadn't seen it before)

OVERALL

- nice set with some good pictures, although a bit flimsy, and way too many stickers - the same issues I have with the Cargo Plane as well (although that had more colour issues).

hey, thanks for the review The Brickster! i was just wondering if you could possibly upload a picture of the instructions for the forklift, and, if possible, tell me the piece # of the 1x4 slope bricks (to bricklink them). thanks!

hey, thanks for the review The Brickster! i was just wondering if you could possibly upload a picture of the instructions for the forklift, and, if possible, tell me the piece # of the 1x4 slope bricks (to bricklink them). thanks!

I don't have a scanner for the instructions, but the 1x4 slope is listed as piece #4515362 in the instructions.

thats fine, as its not a neccesity. and thanks for the piece #.

EDIT: hmm...that's interesting, i just bricklinked it and it is not cataloged yet, oh well

Edited by ricecracker