Sign in to follow this  
aeh5040

[MOC] Bell ringing machine

Here is my latest creation.  It rings "plain hunt on eight", a traditional change ringing method originating in 17th century England, on eight toy handbells (the only non-Lego parts).  Yes, I am nuts.  Enjoy!

very nifty!  nice sounds too!

amazing the patterns of notes that come out of a 'fixed' programming...

what does the flywheel do? just smooth out the motion?

I am not familiar with this melody, but I like this creation quite a bit. Good idea to move the noisy motor away from the bells. Very cool! 

Edited by BusterHaus

Really enjoy your creation that is rarely seen here .  Especially  quite a lot of  mocs  sharing on Technic forum are vehicle-related stuff  , I think people will love to see more of creation like this.  :thumbup:

Very unique, and I like it even more as it is NOT a vehicle. Now. to change the melody, would changing the location of the specific bells do the trick?

Impressive! As a bell ringer, I have only just mastered this method in real life...
I guess you couldn't ring other methods using this setup? Or is it possible to ring, say, Plain hunting on 7, so 7 bells 'hunting' with the tenor (lowest bell) staying 8th?

When you listen to this long enough you will go nuts! Very cool! Thanks for sharing.

Nice!  What piece did you use to keep the tension, but also allows it to flex (the rods that whack the bell)?  Is it those rubber 1x2 liftarm like pieces?

Thank you for the kind remarks!

On 1/9/2017 at 7:47 PM, RohanBeckett said:

what does the flywheel do? just smooth out the motion?

That's right.

On 1/10/2017 at 7:58 AM, DrJB said:

Very unique, and I like it even more as it is NOT a vehicle. Now. to change the melody, would changing the location of the specific bells do the trick?

Yes, that would give a different (but related) melody.  In change ringing terminology it would give a different course of plain hunt.

On 1/10/2017 at 8:56 AM, ColletArrow said:

Impressive! As a bell ringer, I have only just mastered this method in real life...
I guess you couldn't ring other methods using this setup? Or is it possible to ring, say, Plain hunting on 7, so 7 bells 'hunting' with the tenor (lowest bell) staying 8th?

Cool!  I was wondering if I would find anyone else who shares both hobbies!  I'm curious to know whether you find the demo at all helpful (rather than merely amusing).  E.g., one can try to watch two coursing bells, say the 8 (red) and the 7 (orange), to see how one follows the other down to lead.

Yes, plain hunt on 7 with a cover would be possible.  It would need either a separate carousel for the tenor, or another "layer" of pegs, around the outside say.  In principle it would be possible to ring other methods such as plain bob, using multiple carousels rotating at different speeds.  The required precision would likely make it impractical, though.

16 hours ago, teos said:

Nice!  What piece did you use to keep the tension, but also allows it to flex (the rods that whack the bell)?  Is it those rubber 1x2 liftarm like pieces?

Yes.  They also serve the important function of making the hammer spring away from the bell immediately after the strike, otherwise it would deaden the sound. 

45590.png

Edited by aeh5040

Just now, kieran said:

Cool, your stuff always works so well

You wouldn't say that if you saw all the failed prototypes! :laugh:

4 hours ago, aeh5040 said:

Cool!  I was wondering if I would find anyone else who shares both hobbies!  I'm curious to know whether you find the demo at all helpful (rather than merely amusing).  E.g., one can try to watch two coursing bells, say the 8 (red) and the 7 (orange), to see how one follows the other down to lead.

Yes, plain hunt on 7 with a cover would be possible.  It would need either a separate carousel for the tenor, or another "layer" of pegs, around the outside say.  In principle it would be possible to ring other methods such as plain bob, using multiple carousels rotating at different speeds.  The required precision would likely make it impractical, though.

I see. That sounds fun, trying to work out how to ring Bob Doubles mechanically! Having two concentric rings of pegs might work, perhaps with them moving in and out as well? I haven't given it a lot of thought.
I will show this to my band tomorrow evening, and see what they think. We have 2 people learning to plain hunt at the moment; it may help, it may confuse them or just distract them altogether!

Any chance you can release some 'instructions'. I could do an LXF file if more photos are provided.

7 hours ago, DrJB said:

Any chance you can release some 'instructions'. I could do an LXF file if more photos are provided.

Sure, I'll see what I can do.  The construction itself is pretty simple - it's mostly just a very very rigid box...