42 members have voted

1. 1. Do you prefer 75003 or 75175?

• 75003 (the 2013 version)
    • 75175 (the 2017 version)
  2. 2. Which has better value?

• 75003 (£24.99)
    • 75175 (£44.99)
  3. 3. Which has better minifigures?

• 75003 (A-wing Pilot, Han Solo, Admiral Ackbar)
    • 75175 (A-wing Pilot, Rebel Technician, Lando Calrissian)
  4. 4. Which is more accurate?

• 75003 (the 2013 version)
    • 75175 (the 2017 version)
  5. 5. Rate 75003

• 1: Hate it
    • 2: Dislike it
    • 3: Don't mind it
    • 4: Like it
    • 5: Love it
  6. 6. Rate 75175

• 1: Hate it
    • 2: Dislike it
    • 3: Don't mind it
    • 4: Like it
    • 5: Love it

Today I will be comparing 75003 A-wing Starfighter (2013 version) with 75175 A-wing Starfighter (2017 version). :yoda:

tn_75003_alt1_jpg.jpgtn_75175_alt1_jpg.jpg

First, here are the descriptions.

75003:

Battle the Imperial Fleet with the super-agile A-Wing Starfighter™!

Bring the battle to the evil Empire with the Rebel Alliance's super-fast A-wing Starfighter! As featured in Star Wars™: Episode VI Return of the Jedi™, the agile A-wing, with an opening cockpit, is perfect for attacking the Imperial Fleet! Build the same lightning-fast ship that destroyed Darth Vader’s Executor! Then, take on the Imperial forces with Admiral Ackbar, an A-wing pilot and Han Solo!

• Includes 3 minifigures: Admiral Ackbar, A-wing pilot and Han Solo
• A-wing Starfighter features 4 flick missiles, opening cockpit and removable engine
• Weapons include a blaster pistol
• Accessories include mug and a wrench
• Collect the A-wing pilot helmet, being featured for the first time ever by LEGO® Star Wars™!
• Bring the battle to the Imperial Fleet!
• Fire the missiles!
• Remove the engine!
• A-wing Starfighter measures over 2" (7cm) high, 7" (19cm) long and 5" (14cm) wide

75715:

Launch into LEGO® Star Wars missions with the high-speed A-Wing Starfighter, featuring an opening minifigure cockpit, retractable landing gear, rotating laser cannons and dual spring-loaded shooters. There’s also a service cart loaded with tools, extra ammo and a detachable access ladder to load the A-Wing Pilot into position. Includes three minifigures.

• Includes three minifigures: Lando Calrissian, an A-Wing Pilot and a Rebel Ground Crew.
  • Features an A-Wing Starfighter and a service cart.
  • A-Wing Starfighter features an opening minifigure cockpit, retractable landing gear, rotating laser cannons and two spring-loaded shooters.
  • Service cart features a detachable access ladder, toolbox, wrench, welding apparatus, cup and extra ammo.
  • Weapons include Lando's special blaster and the A-Wing Pilot's blaster pistol.
  • This set offers an age-appropriate build and play experience for ages 8-14.
  • A-Wing Starfighter measures over 2” (7cm) high, 7” (20cm) long and 4” (12cm) wide.
  • Service cart measures over 2” (7cm) high, 3” (9cm) long and 1” (3cm) wide.

I will be comparing them in aspect by aspect.

Playability:

tn_75003_alt3_jpg.jpgtn_75175_alt3_jpg.jpg

75003: 4x Flick-fire missiles, Opening cockpit, 1x landing gear

75175: 2x Spring-loaded shooters, 2x rotating cannons, Opening cockpit, 3x Landing gear, Rebel Maintenance service cart with detachable accessories and ladder.

While 75003 does have firing weapons and basic ship equipment (like opening cockpits and landing gear), 75175 definitely has much more, including well-integrated spring-loaded shooters.

Winner: 75175

Accuracy:

tn_75003_alt2_jpg.jpgtn_75175_alt2_jpg.jpg

75175 is definitely more accurate than 75003 (one of the pros of newer sets), as the rear flaps are definitely thinner, using a new molded piece, as opposed to 75003's brick built ones. Also, 75175's engines are more accurate when compared to 75003's. The only portion that 75003 is more accurate than 75175 is that the greebling in between the engines is more realistic to the movie than 75175, as 75003's greebling is completely grey, while 75175 has some yellow highlights.

Value

Many have criticized 75175 for being similar in size to 75003, yet costing £20 more. However, believe it or not, closer inspection yields the opposite. 75175 has 358 pieces and costs £44.99, amounting to 12.6 cents per piece. 75003 has 177 pieces and costs £24.99, amounting to 14.1 cents per piece. However, due to the fact that the size of the ships are so similar, and 75175 only comes with a small rebel maintenance cart to try to justify the value, I consider 75003 the winner in this aspect.

Winner: 75003

Minifigures

75003-1.jpg?201210180459              75175-1.jpg?201611300919

75003 has an A-wing pilot dressed in dark green, Han Solo who only otherwise appears in Ewok Village, and Admiral Ackbar who only appears otherwise in 2009's Home One. 75175 has an A-wing pilot dressed in normal green, Lando Calrissian who is exclusive, and a generic Rebel Technician who is also exclusive. While 75175 has all-exclusive minifigures and a new Lando Calrissian, 75003 has two named characters (Han and Ackbar) as opposed to 75175's one (Lando) and thus, 75003 takes the cake.

Winner: 75003

Displayability:

Overall, 75175 has better displayability than 75003. This is due to the fact that it is more accurate, and the shooters are better integrated in 75175 (under the front portion) than in 75003 (used instead of guns). Also, the little rebel maintenance cart helps to finish off a little display scene.

Time to tally scores!

Playability: 75175

Accuracy: 75175

Value: 75003

Minifigures: 75003

Displayability: 75175

Overall winner: 75175

Hope you enjoyed this comparison! :classic:

VaderFan2187

Edited by VaderFan2187

As I have every A-wing except the newest two, I'll hold off on rating these two until I can compare the new one to my 75003, but I'll likely modify the both new A-wings anyway. I got 6207 off eBay recently and almost immediately deviated from the instructions to make it more accurate. 

75003 might be the least favorite of my four despite being the most movie accurate. I'm not crazy about the nose on it, it's a poor solution for the wedge the ROTJ A-wings have. Many MOCs have done it better. Plus I had Ackbar from Home One (along with that A-wing)  already so the 75003 Ackbar became just another Mon Cal crewman. I'm more stoked to have the updated version of Lando, even though he's also in Home One.

3 minutes ago, bootz said:

75003 might be the least favorite of my four despite being the most movie accurate. I'm not crazy about the nose on it, it's a poor solution for the wedge the ROTJ A-wings have.

But is it not better than its predecessors' noses?

4 minutes ago, bootz said:

75003 might be the least favorite of my four despite being the most movie accurate. I'm not crazy about the nose on it, it's a poor solution for the wedge the ROTJ A-wings have. Many MOCs have done it better. Plus I had Ackbar from Home One (along with that A-wing)  already so the 75003 Ackbar became just another Mon Cal crewman. I'm more stoked to have the updated version of Lando, even though he's also in Home One.

Yeah, we haven't had an updated Lando in a long time.

I'd put a Han Solo minifig below a rebel technician personally. As much as I dont care for the rebel technicians and their vehicles, I have far too many Han Solos.

4 minutes ago, Magmafrost said:

I'd put a Han Solo minifig below a rebel technician personally. As much as I dont care for the rebel technicians and their vehicles, I have far too many Han Solos.

I see where you're coming from, and I completely understand. It's just that I felt 75175 could've had another named character, especially at that price. 

It is a shame that the new fin piece is not the right shape for a ROTJ A-Wing. It works better on the McQuarrie style A-Wing from rebels where the fin isn't as tall.

9 hours ago, VaderFan2187 said:

I see where you're coming from, and I completely understand. It's just that I felt 75175 could've had another named character, especially at that price. 

I'm not quite sure a named character justifies price better than an exclusive, albeit unnamed one. Since it's almost like you cannot throw a stone without it landing on a set that has some version of Han included, I'd give the point to the new set, especially for Lando. I know it's not the right Lando for the set, but I don't mind that. I myself also have like 5 Han minifigs, and it's not like I set out to collect them...

Anyway, I like the new A-wing and I will pick it up as soon as I can score a good discount on it, which might be even this weekend, since apparently retailers get it around me on the 13th, and one store has currently 20% on all SW toys..

75175 kinda looks a tad bit weird and unfamiliar to me, especially compared to the 75150 Rebels A-Wing. The cannons seem too thin or close to the fuselage, and rear engine section is whatever. I just like the Rebels A-Wing better (but strangely only in LEGO form...)

On 1/11/2017 at 1:52 AM, Chrome Bricks said:

75175 kinda looks a tad bit weird and unfamiliar to me, especially compared to the 75150 Rebels A-Wing. The cannons seem too thin or close to the fuselage, and rear engine section is whatever. I just like the Rebels A-Wing better (but strangely only in LEGO form...)

This is a ROTJ A-wing, the cannons are supposed to be thin. The Rebels version is different in many ways, closer to the original concept from Ralph McQuarrie, but the new one is actually a really good interpretation of the A-wings in Jedi.

6 hours ago, brobert said:

This is a ROTJ A-wing, the cannons are supposed to be thin. The Rebels version is different in many ways, closer to the original concept from Ralph McQuarrie, but the new one is actually a really good interpretation of the A-wings in Jedi.

A-Wing

I didn't imagine the A-wing had to be introduced to anyone on this forum :classic:

On 1/12/2017 at 8:52 AM, brobert said:

Yes, I know it's the ROTJ version of the A-Wing and that the cannons are pretty thin, as @VaderFan2187 showed in the reference pic. In retrospect, I shouldn't have said "especially compared to the 75150 Rebels A-Wing", since this is a discussion the ROTJ version in LEGO form.

Still, 75175 version seems awkward-ish TO ME especially from the angle depicted in the boxart. The stabilizer fins (is that what it's called?) seem to be angled to the center a bit too much.

The cannons seem too thin FOR ME because 75175's body reminds me A LOT of 75150's fuselage.

md_A-wing_side.jpg

After looking at this, I argue that LEGO should have used another piece (or build) for the engine fins. It doesn't look anything like the fins for the ROTJ version. It looks out of place, too Rebels-y.

No denying, 75175 is a great representation of the A-Wings in ROTJ, but those fins... 

Maybe someone could come up with a mod for 75175, I can't since I don't own any A-Wings in fact (I would like to though...).

1 hour ago, Chrome Bricks said:

After looking at this, I argue that LEGO should have used another piece (or build) for the engine fins. It doesn't look anything like the fins for the ROTJ version. It looks out of place, too Rebels-y.

No denying, 75175 is a great representation of the A-Wings in ROTJ, but those fins... 

Maybe someone could come up with a mod for 75175, I can't since I don't own any A-Wings in fact (I would like to though...).

I agree they needed to make a new, taller fin piece.

13 hours ago, Chrome Bricks said:

Yes, I know it's the ROTJ version of the A-Wing and that the cannons are pretty thin, as @VaderFan2187 showed in the reference pic. In retrospect, I shouldn't have said "especially compared to the 75150 Rebels A-Wing", since this is a discussion the ROTJ version in LEGO form.

Still, 75175 version seems awkward-ish TO ME especially from the angle depicted in the boxart. The stabilizer fins (is that what it's called?) seem to be angled to the center a bit too much.

The cannons seem too thin FOR ME because 75175's body reminds me A LOT of 75150's fuselage.

md_A-wing_side.jpg

I think making another fin mold for this wouldn't have been viable for TLG, this is a fairly specialized part that likely couldn't have been used for other purposes easily.

I still like this better than brick built fins I've seen this far, even in the wrong angle it's more faithful than a chunky build one.

As RotJ A-Wing, I think the older version nailed it - except for the flick missiles.
The new one is heavily inspired by the Rebels classic A-Wing concept. Especially the "ramm" front doesn't fit the kind of A-Wing that rammed into the Executor.

I must be behind the times, I'm still perfectly happy with the one I have all the way from 2006! If I had to pick a newer one though, it would probably be the 2013 one. The only part I really dislike about it is the guns, but not a huge deal.

6 minutes ago, VaderFan2187 said:

Great video @QwikBricks! I think the build is really great but sadly overpriced. If not for the crappy price it'd be very, very high on my wanted list for 2017. 

OMG - SOOO overpriced.  Indeed.  But man, since I don't own another A-Wing, it feels so great to have it.

3 hours ago, QwikBricks said:

OMG - SOOO overpriced.  Indeed.  But man, since I don't own another A-Wing, it feels so great to have it.

Same thing here, that's one of the few important vehicles that I don't own in any form, so this is a definite get. In fact, I just ordered it.