DrJB

Mindstorms - Smart Applications ?

I've personally been exposed to the Mindstorms 'theme' a long time back, officially with the RCX 2.0, but also a bit before that during a course/project at MIT, which developed the predecessor to the smart brick.

Fast Forward 15-20 years, I took part in a FLL event few weeks back and while it is always exciting to see kids invent and perform, it is a bit 'disappointing' that the hardware/software was not used to its full potential. For example, to complete some of the missions, the kids could have very well used some sort of proximity sensors or line tracking (the markings on the mat are for a reason). However, many of them resorted to simple 'open-loop' approaches where the left/right motors were given specific inputs/speeds to go around a given curve. Some of this can be blamed on credited to the coaches, but that's a different story.

Of course, one cannot expect young kids (middle school) to understand yet let alone apply concepts of closed-loop feedback with PID control and the like. But nonetheless, such capability IS there, and the smart brick is REALLY smart. In fact, while at MIT, a greater emphasis was put on feedback control as otherwise, the robot would simply be another fancy RC toy.

Now, all of this 'prelude' is to ask the community to share whatever contraptions they've come across that DO USE feedback control (or smart use of sensors' readings, besides motors' rotation angles). To me, the 'best' examples I have seen so far are:

1. Line following, a classic topic, seen in every released version of mindstorms (RCX/NXT/EV3)

2. Balancing bot (inverted pendulum) released in the EV3 Educational Version.

So, what can you add to the list?

Edited by DrJB

Well, I'm not sure if it fits here (or maybe it does?), but I'm a train guy so I do like the Sioux.NET on track very much, homepage can be found here: https://siouxnetontrack.wordpress.com/.

Even if it's pretty blown up (12x Mindstorms brick :look:), you could slice it into smaller steps for younger children. Like controlling 2 different trains with a rail crossing (4519 or brickbuilt) and stopping the train whichever reaches it later.

36 minutes ago, DrJB said:

108 views and not a single comment ?

I'll bite. :classic:

There are examples of maze solving Mindstorms robots that use sensors to determine the position of walls.

There's also an EV3 biped by Menno Gorter.  It uses the IR sensor to detect table edges and the touch sensor to detect low obstacles (the arm with the worm gear under the biped).

Years ago I tried to make a Doctor Who NXT Dalek.  I programmed the NXT to roam around looking for a live target to shoot.  It used the ultrasonic sensor to detect obstacles and change directions.  If the obstacle is alive (moved), it will play the "exterminate!" sound bite I digitized and fire a LEGO dart at it.  I abandoned the project after finding the speaker in the NXT was too weak to be properly heard in an environment with many people around.  Yes, it is possible to escape my Dalek by running up stairs.  :classic:

I am working on a coal handling facility including a mine hoist and a facility for loading cars. It will use the EV3 and a color sensor (Cars have a colored panel) to trigger an animation series. Motors control the hoist, a conveyor taking material from a hopper to the cars. I'm going to try and get an rc link (third party device) established between the EV3 and an RC train to position the cars for loading. Several other items in the works are a hump yard with the EV3 controlling switches based on the color of the cars. I'll admit seeing what Sioux is doing got me started.

I would use an EV3 for a gyrostabilizing gun system similar to those used on modern MBTs, it would keep track of the current location, and add/subtract the difference of the input of the gyroscope, based on the change in terrain. Unfortunately, the EV3 is too large, and expensive for me, I would much rather work on some sort of project using an Arduino, as there are lots of interesting options for programing/sensors, outputs, and functions. Though purists may hate it, but I feel the EV3 brick is too large and primitive for my use.  I think I know of one example built using the EV3 for this concept, though it is too slow of a reaction time to function correctly.

Mark 7 by Kelkschiz

Here you can see an example of the function of a gun stabilizer.  

1 hour ago, Tommy Styrvoky said:

I would use an EV3 for a gyrostabilizing gun system similar to those used on modern MBTs, it would keep track of the current location, and add/subtract the difference of the input of the gyroscope, based on the change in terrain. Unfortunately, the EV3 is too large, and expensive for me, I would much rather work on some sort of project using an Arduino, as there are lots of interesting options for programing/sensors, outputs, and functions. Though purists may hate it, but I feel the EV3 brick is too large and primitive for my use.  I think I know of one example built using the EV3 for this concept, though it is too slow of a reaction time to function correctly.

Mark 7 by Kelkschiz

I've been exploring (playing with) both the Arduino and Raspberry PI over the past few months and I agree fully, those two platforms offer possibilities way beyond the Mindstorms brick. The one advantage of the brick is that you can do mechanical constructions/designs as well with lego components. Unfortunately that is not so easy with the Arduino/PI. Well, there are some attempts out there, such as BrickPI, but those are very 'limited' and expensive. In all honesty, I'm hoping TLG 'notices' the potential offered by the Arduino platform and ultimately develops a theme on that, through some joint adventure with the Italians :)

PS. That Tank/Beer video is amazing. Is that done by mechanical/passive means or there are some electronics (active control) in there? 

Edited by DrJB

I agree Arduino is an inexpensive alternative.  It works well with Power Functions too.  I put together a simple automated Power Functions train control and detection for less than $10 of electronic components.  No LEGO parts had to be modified.  EV3/NXT would be better if you don't like soldering components and crimping wire connectors yourself.  Also there is less chance of hurting yourself with EV3/NXT.  :wink:

1 hour ago, DrJB said:

I've been exploring (playing with) both the Arduino and Raspberry PI over the past few months and I agree fully, those two platforms offer possibilities way beyond the Mindstorms brick. The one advantage of the brick is that you can do mechanical constructions/designs as well with lego components. Unfortunately that is not so easy with the Arduino/PI. Well, there are some attempts out there, such as BrickPI, but those are very 'limited' and expensive. In all honesty, I'm hoping TLG 'notices' the potential offered by the Arduino platform and ultimately develops a theme on that, through some joint adventure with the Italians :)

PS. That Tank/Beer video is amazing. Is that done by mechanical/passive means or there are some electronics (active control) in there? 

There's electronics involved, it utilizes a gyroscope to provide input into the elevation controls. The older designs are almost purely mechanical, though it could easilly be programed on an Arduino to have active control input, and be more accurate. There's a rather good article about it for the early post war designs used by the Allies in This Popular science article go to page 82. Though it has evolved in modern vehicles, like the M1 Abrams being able to hit a plate sized target a mile away while moving at full speed. 

A similar device is used on the Norden bombsight

Edited by Tommy Styrvoky

8 minutes ago, Tommy Styrvoky said:

There's electronics involved, it utilizes a gyroscope to provide input into the elevation controls. There's a rather good article about it for the early post war designs used by the Allies in This Popular science article go to page 82. Though it has evolved in modern vehicles, like the M1 Abrams being able to hit a plate sized target a mile away while moving at full speed.

Thank you very much. That's quite a reference you've dug out. I'll sure enjoy reading it. 

38 minutes ago, DrJB said:

Thank you very much. That's quite a reference you've dug out. I'll sure enjoy reading it. 

Gotta love google, there's a couple other good articles too, one about steam turbines in ships, and another interesting one about anti air armaments with pinpoint accuracy   a lot of interesting articles about WWII engineering advances, such as radio control, basic robots. I have read a couple of the articles, but I will have to find time to read more, as I find the engineering concepts of that era to be rather creative and innovative.