Do you believe that it shot the projectile at 80km/h?   

1 member has voted

1. 1. Do you believe that it shot the projectile at 80km/h?

• Yes
    • No

So after a few month pause away from LEGO, instead focusing on my electric skateboard, I'm back with a new powerful creation.

This crossbow only took a few hours to construct and is a ton of fun. It shoots anything that is 1 stud wide and 1 stud high. This crossbow is immensely powerful, packing quite a punch; if you do try to recreate one, use common sense and don't shoot living things. It uses one long rubber band to propel the projectiles and it has a 32 stud draw. It has simple iron sights and it's rather accurate plus it has a crazy long range, I shot it straight up from my balcony and it went out of sight. I calculated the speed of the projectile to be 80km/h, and no I'm not lying, the calculations are in the video.

800x450.jpg800x450.jpg800x450.jpg800x450.jpg

Here is a terrible picture of a little doohickey being shot. 

800x450.jpg

I hope you guys liked my crossbow, any feedback would be appreciated. 

Edited by Epic Technic
Resized pictures

Hey, Epic, nice to see new creation from you, and something not seen every day, too!

This is something we all wanted to build when we were kids, but luckily, our older folks stopped us :)

This looks pretty strong and dangerous, especially firing on those bouncy tires. Hope no one complained regarding that Hitman balcony shot! :)

My only concern is that pulley wheels connection. Those that hold the rubber band at sides. It looks like they could easily fly off if the crossbow bends during reloading.

Also, one tech thing, can you please reduce your pics size to max 1024?

1 hour ago, Milan said:

This is something we all wanted to build when we were kids, but luckily, our older folks stopped us :)

This reminds me of the Mindstorms RCX. The official lego version included instructions on how to build a bionicle disc shooter.

Philo upped it real good and built a CD/DVD disk shooter. I'm guessing he wanted those disks to behave as frisbees :) but not sure the aero-dynamics were there. 

Edited by DrJB

Cool creation, does the pull back bit (I dunno what its called) lock into place when pulled back or do you just hav e to keep it pulled back with your hand until you let go?.

I would be interested in the locking mechanism if there is one for a simular project of mine.

Nice to see something different here. Functionally,this works great, but, IMO, it could use a little work aesthetically. Also, how well do the little pulley wheels at the ends of the arms stay on? Seemslike the tension would pull them off.

20 hours ago, Gabi_BC said:

I have a feeling that this is not going to be an official set anytime soon :laugh:

Yeah, it might not comply with their policies.

20 hours ago, Milan said:

Hey, Epic, nice to see new creation from you, and something not seen every day, too!

This looks pretty strong and dangerous, especially firing on those bouncy tires. Hope no one complained regarding that Hitman balcony shot! :)

My only concern is that pulley wheels connection. Those that hold the rubber band at sides. It looks like they could easily fly off if the crossbow bends during reloading.

Also, one tech thing, can you please reduce your pics size to max 1024?

Thanks for all the compliments Milan! The little pulley wheels are on there pretty well and have never fallen off. I'm no physicist, but I'm pretty they don't fall because the forces are applied sideways, perpendicular to the direction of it falling off. Sorry about the pictures, it's all fixed. 

17 hours ago, SNIPE said:

Cool creation, does the pull back bit (I dunno what its called) lock into place when pulled back or do you just have to keep it pulled back with your hand until you let go?.

I would be interested in the locking mechanism if there is one for a simular project of mine.

The little axles hold back the rubber band, just pull the trigger, then the axles move down.

17 hours ago, Leonardo da Bricki said:

Nice to see something different here. Functionally,this works great, but, IMO, it could use a little work aesthetically. Also, how well do the little pulley wheels at the ends of the arms stay on? Seemslike the tension would pull them off.

You're right, it's a bit ugly but I really don't care, I just love the power. Like I said above, the forces applied on the pulley are sideways so it doesn't pop out.

20 hours ago, 2LegoOrNot2Lego... said:

This sure is powerful...excellent...!

Thanks, it really means a lot coming from such a great builder like you!

On 1/12/2017 at 3:55 PM, dr_spock said:

Cool build.  Technic is about function over form.  :wink:

Yeah, that was the whole philosophy behind this build.