krzy_chu

Classic X-wing (T65) MOC - LDD - work in progress

Hello,

Im a fresh AFOL - since approx 2 years (I'm 39 now).

I've been quietly admiring your creations for some time. I even wanted to post some photos of my first primitive MOCs, but I'm glad I didn't :)

Now I want to build a classic X-wing - I started to design it in LDD.

Of course I would like to know your opinion - and... If you find time – you could tell me if there's any chance that the engine from the bottom wing will not fall of (it's on 2 studs only). Link to LXF below.

Thanks!

Best regards from Poland!

LXF file

moc_xwing_v04_a.jpg

moc_xwing_v04_b.jpg

moc_xwing_v04_c.jpg

moc_xwing_v04_d.jpg

moc_xwing_v04_e.jpg

Edited by krzy_chu

4 minutes ago, ChristopherLee said:

Your images aren't working. Try using brickshelf to host them.

Thanks - I reposted. Seems to work now.

Hello @krzy_chu 

Looking good, I like the uses of different colours!

However the fuselage is too low down, it needs to be inbetween the engines but is currently situated next to the lower engines.

Kind regards, Ellis.

6 hours ago, Ellisss_2 said:

Hello @krzy_chu 

Looking good, I like the uses of different colours!

However the fuselage is too low down, it needs to be inbetween the engines but is currently situated next to the lower engines.

Kind regards, Ellis.

Good point – thanks! And I think the wings are too close to the front...

Welcome to Eurobricks.

Nice start so far.

To answer your 1st question, I doubt the engines will fall off, looks stable enuff in LDD.

But the KX9 laser cannons are on 1 pin which, although it wont fall off, may or may not freely swivel around.

36 minutes ago, dmarkng said:

Welcome to Eurobricks.

Nice start so far.

To answer your 1st question, I doubt the engines will fall off, looks stable enuff in LDD.

But the KX9 laser cannons are on 1 pin which, although it wont fall off, may or may not freely swivel around.

Thank you! I didn't think of that, but you are definitely right. Definitely all laser cannons must point in the same direction – otherwise it will not look cool. 

On 9.01.2017 at 6:08 AM, dmarkng said:

moc_xwing_v012_a.jpg

Thanks for all the comments! I made some variations of laser cannons.

A. original fixed by 1 pin (will swivel around, as noted by dmarkng)

B. with drum holder used to hold it (the holes are slightly bigger than axle diameter, but I don't think it's a problem)

C. too thin for ma taste

D. those corners...

E. sleek, but the barrel is fixed by 2 studs only - it will not hold

F. part #17485 is not available in white (I made some color variations to differentiate the cannons a bit / simulate dirt), also the cross-axle doesn't go through the whole thing

I'm eager to hear what you think!

And also do you like the vest used on barrel tips? I think it's much better than previous solution.

Cheers!

Update:

- lowered wings/engines

- new nose & cockpit

- new construction of engines internals & exhausts

- lots of other small corrections

moc_xwing_v017_a.jpg

moc_xwing_v017_b.jpg

moc_xwing_v017_c.jpg

moc_xwing_v017_d.jpg

moc_xwing_v017_e.jpg

Looking good! I initially thought the engines pods were kind of on the large side, but I think you corrected it. I think nose gear should be, well, closer to the nose itself, but it still looks kinda weird. Try using this pic for reference: DSC09484.jpg

Hope I helped!:wink:

Hi! @Chrome Bricks

Helpful photo!

I've quickly checked and I cannot do it right now in LDD – the angles of hinges are not perfect and I cannot straighten them – therefore there is not enough space inside the nose, so I cannot extend the axle that keeps the landing gear.

But it should be possible on the actual brick build when I get the angles perfect – I will remember that – thanks!

Your Xwing look good. I think you should improve the landing gears.

I modified my 9493 (but without modifying the engines for the moment, I should do it). For the landing gears, I did this:

113619256_o.jpg

And I did this for my UCS 10240 :

109466322_o.jpg

109116422.jpg

More pics here :

http://www.brickpirate.net/forum/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=57&t=18764

Edited by Cyh Naan

@Cyh Naan

Wow - it looks great - I love the flaps from engines' casings!

I undervalued meaning of the landing gear, but the whole model looks so much better after you made the mods.

I took a look at your link – your UCS mod is neat!

Definitely a thing to do – thanks!

Now I'm thinking about changing of the whole construction of the lower wings...

It's crazy how much I'm re-making all basic elements all the time and it seems like I'm making no progress...

Edited by krzy_chu

@Cyh Naan

I re-made the landing gear (partially using your construction) – thanks!

@Chrome Bricks

Also your photo helped – thanks again. However with this construction there's no way I will be able to move it closer to the front.

Also I can't figure out how to make landing gear at the back – I guess I will have to compromise a bit...

moc_xwing_v031_a.jpgmoc_xwing_v031_b.jpgmoc_xwing_v031_c.jpgmoc_xwing_v031_d.jpgmoc_xwing_v031_e.jpg

8 hours ago, krzy_chu said:

It's crazy how much I'm re-making all basic elements all the time and it seems like I'm making no progress...

It is forbidden to be discouraged! :classic:

19 hours ago, krzy_chu said:

re-making all basic elements all the time and it seems like I'm making no progress...

The quintessence of greatness…

By the way, best use of the mini cape :thumbup:

On 1/12/2017 at 11:02 AM, Chrome Bricks said:

Looking good! I initially thought the engines pods were kind of on the large side, but I think you corrected it. I think nose gear should be, well, closer to the nose itself, but it still looks kinda weird. Try using this pic for reference: 

Hope I helped!:wink:

What's the source of this picture?  Is it a model someone built, or a shot of an actual screen used model?

On 1/14/2017 at 5:51 PM, kibosh said:

What's the source of this picture?  Is it a model someone built, or a shot of an actual screen used model?

The photo is taken by Alteregoistic on their blog. It's the Bandai 1/72 scale X-Wing Starfighter model. Here's another pic of that, also taken by him/her:

On 1/13/2017 at 2:07 PM, krzy_chu said:

Also your photo helped – thanks again. However with this construction there's no way I will be able to move it closer to the front.

Also I can't figure out how to make landing gear at the back – I guess I will have to compromise a bit...

Your welcome, @krzy_chu! I'm more than happy to help you out on this project. The nose gear now does look promising, as does the whole build in general :thumbup:

As for the main gear, I would suggest doing the same thing @Cyh Naan did for his UCS X-wing, since they use the same piece for the engine cylinders (4x2 semi-cylinder): take the lower piece off, insert the gear assembly, and make a cowling/flap on the side of the gear strut that would supposedly retract and cover the gear, but It actually won't. This will disguise the gear feature, but if you want retractable gear solutions, I'm sorry I have don't have any more ideas. Now what's left is to find a way to reattach the exhaust cylinders back on...

DSC09394.jpg

3 hours ago, Chrome Bricks said:

The photo is taken by Alteregoistic on their blog. It's the Bandai 1/72 scale X-Wing Starfighter model. Here's another pic of that, also taken by him/her:

-snip-

Ooh nice! I have the Bandai Slave I and was thinking of making a Slave I in LDD that follows the model

Edited by VaderFan2187

On 1/16/2017 at 6:52 PM, VaderFan2187 said:

I have the Bandai Slave I and was thinking of making a Slave I in LDD that follows the model

Cool, looking forward to that! :thumbup: