Name: RC Tracked Racer
Number: 42065
Theme: Technic
Year: 2017
Pieces: 319
Price: USD $??.99, Euro 79.99€, AUD $119.99
Brickset: Extra Info

Technic Early 2017 Review Series

Welcome to the second in my batch of 2017 Technic reviews! I was offered all the small sets early 2017 for review late last year... but I ended up getting them all! Thus I have a lot to review. I've been doing them in parallel and changing my process as I go so hopefully the latter ones will end up being the best. On that angle I'll probably retcon some of the earlier reviews if I improve my process. Due to this remember that I'm happy to take extra photos or provide extra info on request, and anything especially good will be added to the main body of the review. Do note though that sometimes the model may no longer exist if I have have made an alternate. On the subject of alternates, I will be making the alt model, if I have the instructions, think the model is worth making, and I have the time. Also I'll show mid stage construction only if I think it's relevant. Thus don't ask for construction photos or alt models if they aren't part of the review.... I am prepared to extract parts for detail photos though. Photos will all be hosted on Flickr so larger versions are available, and relevant videos will be on YouTube and linked to from here. I don't edit photos much; very rarely I'll crop one and almost never will "correct" them so the photos should be as natural as possible. I will try to not be repetitive; thus it's worth reading my other reviews. For example I'm not going to complain too much about the digital instructions; I'll try to complain about new things, or maybe not complain at all!

Here's all the other reviews of H1 2017 Technic...

42057 Ultralight Helicopter 
42058 Stunt Bike 
42059 Stunt Truck (and 45058/42059 Combiner) 
42060 Roadwork Crew 
42061 Telehandler 
42062 Container Yard 
42063 BMW R 1200 GS Adventure 
42064 Ocean Explorer 
42065 Tracked Racer 

Mucho multi thanks to the EB LUG Ambassador CopMike and the LEGO CEE Team and Designers for allowing me to review these sets for Eurobricks. So onto the review!

Packaging

31975557582_d1215501e4_c.jpg

Front....

32005741171_6df6bfb49c_c.jpg

...back....

32005727181_5e37185819_c.jpg

...top.

Unboxing

32124036575_48bddddd07_c.jpg

Standard punch box. Only one instruction book and it's staple bound. Secondary model has instructions online only, at this stage it is not there. Not a big fan of the whole on-line instructions system. There seems to always be a delay in the release of the secondary model, and the app does not support all devices. For example my Xperia Z5 is not compatible, but my Xperia Z Ultra (older but larger screen, but a phone, not a tablet) is not.

31282948384_4a0c3dc893_c.jpg

The build is not sectioned. In hindsight I probably should have left the tracks bagged for this photo. The special parts being....

32103152025_8162f4e9ba_c.jpg

...the anniversary part....

32085096646_315c210eaf_c.jpg

...and the recolour of the track sprockets (If I'm missing any please tell me!).

31282559634_356fa94fff_c.jpg

Parts list.

31748573930_9677fe8600_c.jpg

Random instruction page.

Build

31313892183_94c269f9ed_c.jpg

It's done!

31313882943_9be7db7bbd_c.jpg

Spare parts.

31748808030_14c7568598_c.jpg

The model opens up nicely to reveal easy access to the battery box top...

32123845185_7870254743_c.jpg

...and bottom. As a result you don't even need to remove it to replace batteries; you can just slip off the covers. Oddly though there is no way to clip down the body; it's held in place by gravity only.

31282792474_98fdda9963_c.jpg

You can see the anniversary part here at the rear.

31313938273_55926df1bf_c.jpg

Inside there isn't much; the motors are directly linked to the sprockets...

31313892183_94c269f9ed_c.jpg

...and aside from the benefits tracks give, there is no suspension.

Since this is a Remote Controlled Racer by name, I decided to make some videos highlighting its capabilities.

32084839666_a6ab740164_c.jpg

Adding the stickers does help blend the panels together. On the subject of aesthetics, the "antenna" is an interesting addition. Since it's not really a RF car it has no purpose except making it look like one... thus does this make the set a model of a non-LEGO RF tracked model, or is it deliberate deception? I should ask the designer I suppose...

32085796926_08e190dca5_c.jpg

No "Octan" sticker to my disappointment. Only companies like "Roaring Motors", "Fat Tyres", "Acelle Rate"...

Ratings

Function:

It does what's on the tin... but pure motor vehicles I do have trouble seeing as "Technic". Afterall, back in 2008 there was a Mars Mission model that was designed to be motorised and mechanically was much the same; the same motors directly driving the sprockets. Sets like this would have normally been grouped in the "Racers" line. 4/10

Parts:

Once again, it's as advertised. There's pretty much little functional Technic, but it is a RC Track Vehicle so faulting that isn't fair.  9/10

Price:

$119.99 AUD for 319 parts seems rather bad, but in reality the value is very high due to the motors; individually the Power Functions cost $95 AUD. 10/10

Accuracy:

I could fault the asymmetrical motor placement, but I think the design is intentional to reduce width and increase balance. Which is arguably an accurate decision since this actually has to move, which it does very well.  9/10

Fudge:

What we have here is the ultimate design-your-own-RC-tracked-vehicle set. Technic it may not be, but it is pretty cool. 5/10

Overall:

Buy! 7/10

26 minutes ago, Siegfried said:

On the subject of aesthetics, the "antenna" is an interesting addition. Since it's not really a RF car it has no purpose except making it look like one... thus does this make the set a model of a non-LEGO RF tracked model, or is it deliberate deception? I should ask the designer I suppose...

I hereby formally summon the designer, Mr. Milan Reindl, @grohl

Just now, nguyengiangoc said:

I hereby formally summon the designer, Mr. Milan Reindl, @grohl

:laugh: Well I wasn't going to ask him directly, but since you've done it. I am curious... :grin:

Two of the 2-long axles and red spacers left over go in the remote to make "joysticks".  

Other than that, it's a good review. The model, in my opinion, just isn't great. The only thing I would really need from it is the IR receiver. The other PF parts would be a bonus but I really don't need any more tracks.

Just assembled full black version of this set, using 2 L motors (because i have only one M) and V1 reciever. And it doesn't drive well. Now i clearly understand difference between V1 and V2 recievers)

32205267175_29e6f6d6a6_c.jpg

Edited by Victor Imaginator

Why do you mention V1 receiver? Does this set use V2? If yes, that would make it MUCH more interesting.

18 minutes ago, Cwetqo said:

Why do you mention V1 receiver? Does this set use V2? If yes, that would make it MUCH more interesting.

Because L motor designed for the v2 receivers :wink:

And Victor black mod of 42065 is absolutely amazing i want to build one to myself when i got enough black panels

Edit:checked and i have enogh panels only motors left

Edited by Neontwig

41 minutes ago, Cwetqo said:

As Brickowl says - there's V2 reciever.

29 minutes ago, Neontwig said:

Because L motor designed for the v2 receivers :wink:

And Victor black mod of 42065 is absolutely amazing i want to build one to myself when i got enough black panels

Edit:checked and i have enogh panels only motors left

Thanks) I thinking of fitting 2 separate recievers inside and make some suspension.

The set uses "updated V1"s. Supposedly the V2s have smoothness issues. That's what the designer says on his FaceBook page...

16 hours ago, mattthewise said:

Two of the 2-long axles and red spacers left over go in the remote to make "joysticks".  

Ahh! Silly me; I tend to just re-use one...

I´ve built it from spare parts, thanks TLC for uploading the building instructions! My kids and I were surprised about the very good performance and enjoy this fun vehicle :thumbup:!

3 hours ago, Victor Imaginator said:

Just assembled full black version of this set, using 2 L motors (because i have only one M) and V1 reciever. And it doesn't drive well. Now i clearly understand difference between V1 and V2 recievers)

L motors are not designed for V2 receivers, but simply are more power hungry - stalled current 1.300mA each compared to 850mA in a M motor (according to Philo). V2 receivers have a higher current limit though and are better of course and more expensive since not being available on the official platform as far as I know.

1 hour ago, Siegfried said:

The set uses "updated V1"s. Supposedly the V2s have smoothness issues. That's what the designer says on his FaceBook page...

What does he say? Please quote such relevant information here since not everybody likes to use Fakeboost or something. Thanks in advance!

Edited by brunojj1

8 minutes ago, brunojj1 said:

What does he say? Please quote such relevant information here since not everybody likes to use Fakeboost or something. Thanks in advance!

Well I did give one of this new-fangled links (and no; don't need to sign up), but to save you the time;

may i ask you if IR reciver used in this lego is V1 or V2?
grohl's LEGO Updated V1.
 Is that better than V2?
grohl's LEGO It depends, at least it does not cause the motors to jerk like V2.

Well, according to this, V2 is not produced anymore and each V1 purchased in last year or so should have same capabilities:

http://bricksetforum.com/discussion/24027/difference-between-power-functions-v1-infrared-receivers

I guess this might have been cause of it:

http://www.technicbricks.com/2012/11/lego-power-functions-incompatibilities.html

So, 42065 has updated V1 receiver. Do we know it's characteristics?

I am assuming that an Sbrick will fit in just fine, has anyone tried controlling 42065 with Sbrick?

6 hours ago, JGW3000 said:

I am assuming that an Sbrick will fit in just fine, has anyone tried controlling 42065 with Sbrick?

Yeah, I gave it a quick go and it worked.

Great review, but it's still a very boring set. Now, I'm not saying that having a fast motorized set is a bad thing, but could they have at least included some gears, or even some primitive kind of suspension? Although, I do think your point about it being a good deal is valid. For only 25 more AUD, you get 319 parts, including lots of track links. I was talking about the set being poor value in other reviews, but I'll probably have to reconsider that viewpoint, (and maybe apologize to @Sariel ) because it looks like the price in the US will be about $80. Although, in the US at least, it's not as good a value. In the US, the PF parts work out to about $47 dollars, and if the set is 85, that means that you could almost get a $40 set, AND the PF parts, which means that it might be better to get parts and make your own. But, on the other hand, the US is not the only country, and if you are in a region where PF parts are more expensive, it would be a good deal, as in Australia.

Edited by Saberwing40k

On 10/1/2017 at 2:51 AM, Saberwing40k said:

Great review, but it's still a very boring set. Now, I'm not saying that having a fast motorized set is a bad thing, but could they have at least included some gears, or even some primitive kind of suspension? (...)

I will look into how to add gears for a more interesting model, as I'm planning on adding differential drive.

It turns out that using L-motors doesn't really add much to the set. I have made a separate video to show this ("Lasse Deleuran" on youtube).

On 10/01/2017 at 0:43 AM, Cwetqo said:

So, 42065 has updated V1 receiver. Do we know it's characteristics?

Thanks for that info... I however don't know how it's improved.

On 10/01/2017 at 0:51 PM, Saberwing40k said:

Great review, but it's still a very boring set. Now, I'm not saying that having a fast motorized set is a bad thing, but could they have at least included some gears, or even some primitive kind of suspension?

Yeah, I'll have to make the B model; that has suspension. In my experience though simple suspension generally is unreliable; with 8275 for example they tend to rotate.

On 16/01/2017 at 8:39 PM, Lasse D said:

I will look into how to add gears for a more interesting model, as I'm planning on adding differential drive.

It turns out that using L-motors doesn't really add much to the set. I have made a separate video to show this ("Lasse Deleuran" on youtube).

Your videos are excellent! I'll have to give the diff version a go!

Question please. Does anyone know how long it runs on the 8878 battery, on a smooth surface like a wooden floor?

I've designed a snow groomer with additive steering to use in a GBC but it drains the battery too quick, this track design seems exactly what I need (light, robuust, agile) if it can run for a few hours on the chargeable PF battery. I may add a gearing to a what lower speed, that probably will help to let the battery last longer? Thanks.

Edited by Berthil

Thanks for the detailed review, especially for the videos in different enviroment. It is rather simple (I mean the set), I've expected some more sophisticated design, but it is great to see actual drivable models from TLG this year. It is much better than having a supercar with an electric motor in it what opens the door. :hmpf_bad:

Ps: Your cat had quite a training. Seems to be so relaxed despite the continuous abuse she takes from this machine...:sweet:

As a model this set was not interesting in my eyes, and from some similarities with some real machine B-model was something what is more realistic; but when I see on reviews for this set - it looks very balanced set with battery box placement and when we compare price with parts included, I would say that price is reasonable and set is a good idea for rc - car MOCs...

I have already said what I mean about Your reviews, so I can only give a thumb up (again)...:thumbup:

Edited by I_Igor

Thanks for the review! To come back to my earlier question, I've build the model and it runs close to two hours with the Lego lithium battery.
But for my purpose the original model wat a bit too nervous, steering the nose in the exact direction was difficult and it was a bit too quick.

So I build this one with added/subtracted steering but you might recognize the track layout as that runs very smooth.

34215237420_37eefa538c_b.jpg

33791244223_1abbcecff7_b.jpg

Anyone know the weight of the stock 42065 model -- i.e., as built from instructions? Guessing that my 505 g SBrick/LiPo/twin-L mod weighs a good bit less.

1498509784m_SPLASH.jpg

The only thing worse than a carnivorous dino on the loose is one with a tank.

On 6/27/2017 at 3:43 PM, dellock6 said:

I weighted it when I was doing some tests with the buwizz some months ago, the stock model is 599 gr...

Many thanks for the data! This is what you can get for 505 g...

On 1/9/2017 at 6:51 PM, Saberwing40k said:

Great review, but it's still a very boring set...

You make some good points, but you overlooked the set's greatest virtue -- its play value. Even box stock with the original twin M motors, it's a ton of fun to drive indoors and out, and not just on pavement. Sariel thought so, too.

Edited by jam8280
Replaced dead photo links

On 1/9/2017 at 10:41 AM, JGW3000 said:

Works great with the SBrick -- especially outdoors. (I never use the IR system for vehicles anymore.)

Edited by jam8280
Removef dead photo links