kreimkoek

[MOC] 19th century Belgian castle

The "Braemkasteel" is a 19th century Belgian castle located in the city of Ghent. Originally built in the 14th century but renovated in the 19th century to give its current look.

Bought by the city in 1946 and used as the city hall for the suburb "Gentbrugge" untill 1974.

Currently it is used as an art academy.

braemkasteel_-_gentbrugge.jpg

dsc03992.jpg

dsc04124.jpg

dsc03795.jpg

dsc03921.jpg

dsc03939.jpg

dsc03957.jpg

dsc03967.jpg

dsc03982.jpg

280643.jpg

More pictures here https://www.flickr.com/photos/118506643@N02/with/32036670732/

Thanks for looking. Comments are welcome :)

Edited by kreimkoek

Wonderful! You made great choices for the architectural details, it looks very realistic. 

Amazing build, nice job. Love the details.

PS. only in Belgium they can build a freeway/railroad next to a 14th century castle..... a shame !

Really great and nice build. I wish lego make some historyc modulars like you make this one.

Very nice model, it looks Just like the real thing. My only nitpick is that the tower roof on the real thing is roundish instead of square, but that can be hard in Lego of course.

A pretty perfect model! Very impressive and really beautiful! :classic: Makes me really curious to see the interior as well! :thumbup:

Absolutely gorgeous - very well done. What color brick is that for the masonry brick (98283)?

This is a very lovely looking build. One way I would suggest improving it is to give the shrubberies some texture on the front, the texture on the building itself is great but they look flat in comparison. Is there a back to it?

Thank you all for the great replies. :)

On 10-1-2017 at 8:18 AM, erikw said:

Amazing build, nice job. Love the details.

PS. only in Belgium they can build a freeway/railroad next to a 14th century castle..... a shame !

Thanks, its a freeway and it casts a shadow over the castle which makes it difficult to take good pictures.

On 10-1-2017 at 4:56 PM, lego tripper said:

Awesome, I actually live close to Braemkasteel :laugh:

Cool, I also live close to it :)

On 10-1-2017 at 8:16 PM, Captain Green Hair said:

Very nice model, it looks Just like the real thing. My only nitpick is that the tower roof on the real thing is roundish instead of square, but that can be hard in Lego of course.

Thanks, I tried to make it more round but I was not satisfied with the result so I just went with normal slopes.

On 13-1-2017 at 5:30 PM, dcht said:

Absolutely gorgeous - very well done. What color brick is that for the masonry brick (98283)?

Thank you, the colour is medium dark flesh.

On 13-1-2017 at 5:47 PM, Calanon said:

This is a very lovely looking build. One way I would suggest improving it is to give the shrubberies some texture on the front, the texture on the building itself is great but they look flat in comparison. Is there a back to it?

Thanks for the suggetion I will look into it. You can see the back of the castle in some of the pictures, it looks alot like the front but the entrance is smaller, no tower, etc.

On 11-1-2017 at 3:07 PM, Littleworlds said:

A pretty perfect model! Very impressive and really beautiful! :classic: Makes me really curious to see the interior as well! :thumbup:

On 12-1-2017 at 7:53 PM, Wesley D said:

Impressive reconstruction! Well done!

Are there interiors too?

Some interior pics 

dsc04020.jpg

dsc03770.jpg

dsc03800.jpg

dsc03805.jpg

dsc04059.jpg

More on my flickr page

https://www.flickr.com/photos/118506643@N02/with/32036670732/

The castle is exquisitely done! The brick patterns well done! My only qualm is that the tower is a little too square but I understand the unusual dome shape is hard to do so it doesn't take away from the high quality of the build.