BrickWild

Official LEGO Message Boards Closing

From moderator "WhiteAlligator":

"After much consideration, a very difficult decision has been reached that the Mods need to share with you all. The LEGO.com Message Boards will be retired on March 6, 2017. The entire community, including all forums and all content within them, will be taken offline permanently."

"Just like a LEGO set, theme, game, or site nothing can last forever. In order to make way for the exciting features of the future we must occasionally retire older features. That is the current case with the message boards."

"The Mods would like to thank you all for being such amazing community members. Every forum is filled with creative, inspiring, and exciting writings thanks to you! We truly appreciate the passion each of you has contributed to this community and hope that LEGO passion will carry through this transitional time."

So what do you think and how do you about this decision?

What would LEGO do this?

The message boards are a direct source of feedback for them

I just don't get it

3 hours ago, Robert8 said:

What would LEGO do this?

The message boards are a direct source of feedback for them

I just don't get it

Yes but they also are a significant amount of work to maintain. Everything is moderated. I think that is a problem with the forums as well. It's hard to have a conversation when the lag of posting is high. Additionally the restriction of no links means you can't even link to images you post on their site.

Maybe LEGO.com forums can't compete with Eurobricks.com and LEGO gave up.  :classic:

When company drops something, it can be to cut costs, change strategies, remove a non-core function, and/or the big boss say so.

The Lego forum was the first one I tried after emerging from the Dark Ages.  Quickly, the juvenile aspect of it was realized, and I finally found Eurobricks as the forum I was really seeking.  

I run a forum and it's amazing the things that happened.  In my case a police investigation.

Time has run it's course, so I'll provide a couple of details.

Basically someone complaining about an extremely annoying person who was situated close to them in a Sports arena.

What do I do??

- Ask to be relocated?

-Take up the issue with the offending family myself?

-Make a formal complaint about the person(s) to the organization?

-Hire a hitman?

Someone found this, knew the person in question (I find it hilarious that someone's hears a description of someone, "extremely annoying person with no manners and potty mouth" and then immediately goes, that's my best friend, I digress), they contacted the person and told them that someone online was threatening to kill them, then that person called the police.

I guess Lego doesn't want this.  Lego doesn't want the one adult who's MOC is worse than a 12-year-old kids' to kill themselves because of the Lego forum.  It makes complete sense.  It sucks, but it makes sense.

LEGO.com forum is well moderated, nothing you post goes live publicly until it has been reviewed by a moderator if I recall correctly.  It's a very labour intensive site to run.  Even when I posted my entry for a Rebrick contest, my pictures had to be moderated first before they show up for the world to see.  :classic:

Lego board was for kids. They probably didn't want to keep that big of an effort on it. I know I wouldn't want that.