Hi!

Finally, I present to you my dump trailer for Claas Xerion 5000 Trac VC, which I've built quite a long time ago and teased you with in this topic.

800x527.jpg

800x529.jpg

800x487.jpg

800x509.jpg

800x556.jpg

My intention was to model a really cool looking trailer Krampe HP30 - a 3 axle offroad heavy haul trailer, which goes perfectly to Claas Xerion 5000 set. I didn't actually scale it, but scetches/blueprints on the official site were of good use. As you can see on the photo below, I made a fake front cylinder, which unfortunately doesn't exist in LEGO Technic, so I had to cheat and used a pulley system to lift this huge red bathtub. String drum located on the front of the trailer is rotated by rear PTO of the tractor. I used the fantastic Efferman's motorized remake, but an OOB 42054 model could run it too. The trailer is steered as well - BUT! - Shamefully, I've realized 1st and 3rd axle should be steered and not 2nd and 3rd like I built it. And that happened just an hour ago while editing the video! :damn::wall: :ugh: Oh well, I will have to put more effort in research next time :cry3: Somehow, I missed the video explaining the steering part on YT. Steering is modelled by levers and works according to the angle between the tractor and the trailer. The 3rd axle has larger steering angle than the 2nd. As you can imagine, it has some play in it... All three axles are suspended (normal springs for 1st and 2nd axle, hard springs for the 3rd.) - I borrowed and altered axle designs from MB Arocs set. Tailgate raises automatically and is locked when the dumper is lowered.

800x609.jpg

800x449.jpg

640x960.jpg

640x960.jpg

Here are some details, to make the trailer more juicy :blush:.

800x533.jpg

800x516.jpg

800x634.jpg

800x533.jpg

...and the underbelly - for those eager Technic fans, who can't do without :grin:.

640x908.jpg

800x362.jpg

For the end, here's one with a little breeze and a video of course. I hope you enjoy it!

800x500.jpg

You can find more photos here.

Partlist and instructions here.

Thank you for your attention and constructive criticism!

Best regards,

Miha

Edited by MajklSpajkl

I rarely comment on MOCs but this one is sure a beauty. The attention to detail, and reproduction of main working functions is very commendable. I like how you used parts from many themes (old vs new technic, old gray vs. bluish gray, ...) to fulfill all the functions and looks. All you need now is a harvester to complete an agricultural trio masterpiece. Thank you for sharing.

Edited by DrJB

Wonderful work, Miha (despite the steering oversight). The steering mechanism is very neat, it seems to have a bit of delay, but I like the design. The automatic latch is great, so is the pulley system. Nice work! 

This is a brutal build!!! Gorgeous looks, so realistic and cool technical functions!!!

Three things I like in particular: 1) the shape of the tipper, excellent 2) the steering axles love those! 3) the many tiny details that give it those realistic looks...

Very nice MOC, all functions are realistic. The only thing I would change is in the steering mechanism, on such trailers generally only the front and rear axle are steered, not the middle one. But maybe it is not easy to fix.

Thanks for sharing

Thanks guys, I appreciate it!

@DrJB: Perhapse Eric Trax can lend me his Jaguar :wub:

@BusterHaus: Yes the delay is caused by a lot of play in the steering linkage. Also turning radius is much larger than if the steering setup would've been correct :cry_sad:

@2LegoOrNot2Lego...: Hehe, brutal...I hope you're not hurt :wink:. The halfpipe tipper is much rounder in reality, but you can imagine it is not so easy to reproduce in Technic. The upper sides are also vertical IRL, but I think them not being vertical on the model creates a bigger impression of more curvaceous bathtub.

@DTom: Believe me, If I found out about my horid mistake earlier, I would make it right, but with photos and videos already taken, I decided to go with it. I think it bugs me enough to repair the steering when I have time...

Great model!

Too bad about the steering, but I guess that if you hadn't mentioned it,nobody would have noticed...

I love the colourblocking & steering function. And those Tumbler tires are perfect for this kind of trailer.:wub:

This is an outstanding attachment for the class, great execution,  functions and love the tires.

A shame for the steering but it does not take away how cool this build is.

3 hours ago, MajklSpajkl said:

@2LegoOrNot2Lego...: Hehe, brutal...I hope you're not hurt :wink:. The halfpipe tipper is much rounder in reality, but you can imagine it is not so easy to reproduce in Technic. The upper sides are also vertical IRL, but I think them not being vertical on the model creates a bigger impression of more curvaceous bathtub.

No I'm not...haha... :classic: Well I think the manufacturer should take a look at your design and change it instead... I think it is even better... :laugh: :thumbup: :wub:

I should say, I've been skeptic about trailer MOCs. For me, for some reason, it always been an attachment, something minor and of second importance. I know where are some great trailer MOCs out where from very respectful builders. But they was just not my cup of tea. Until that one. This is a real beauty! Rounded shape and Tumbler tires makes this thing to stand out. I appreciate the effort on that rounded line at the middle of the bed, made from red 2L pin joiners. I like how the level of detail matches that of the Claas Tractor. And functions, of course, are brilliant. The only little tiny negative comment I have, is about that fake cylinder. With lowered bed it not very noticeable, but became a really eyesore, when it is raised. I would remove it, and just assume that trailer have another type of the rising mechanism. But this just my opinion, and I understand the reasons to include it. Again, outstanding job! Thanks for sharing.

Great trailer. I like your steering idea, it just needs fine tuning and i'm sure you can do it. I enjoyed the video and seeing all those new wheels.

H

*huh* Wow, great engineering! I don't mind the little misconstruction of the steering, actually I wouldn't had notice it, as it seems to work smoothly.

A big thumb-up for the many details, excellent. :thumbup:

Good job on the trailer.  I really like those tires.  You don't have to say it is an inexact copy of the a HP30.  You can say it is your own design and you were inspired by the HP30.  :wink:

What an amazing model! I really like the complicated shape of the bed, with all the angles and curved surfaces. It looks very impressive and works well. 

On 8-1-2017 at 4:10 AM, MajklSpajkl said:

My intention was to model a really cool looking trailer Krampe HP30 - a 3 axle offroad heavy haul trailer, which goes perfectly to Claas Xerion 5000 set.

..and you have made it! :thumbup: Great job! The steering mechanism is very good, it's a pity that you discovered that the1st and 3rd axle should be steered. 

left of field, great model, but do you have any photos or info on the Lego rolligon  that features in your vidieo

I used to drive one, and it looks like the freightliner cab model too!

@brickless_kiwi: The rolligon seen in the video is not my creation but of my fellow LUG builder Skandinavc FH and unfortunately he didn't manage to publish it's presentation yet. There are some photos of it in these galleries from our LUG's events:

1. last photo, 2. photos in the middle of the gallery,, 3. end of the gallery, 4. middle of the gallery

Regards, Miha

Very cool trailer. I dont think the steering is wrong, even when your inspiration do it in a different way. 

Does the xerion have any problems with pulling your trailer?

That trailer is awesome so much detail! I really like the tires you used and the extras on the sides with gauges and tanks. Really sets this MOC apart from most others I have seen great job.

Thank you guys again for very nice comments :grin:

@efferman Xerion pulled the trailer easily at the exhibition on a flat podium, but as you can see in the video, it has some issues on the road. I don't know, but is seems that as it runs into a bump, the whole drive train kinda accumulates some power and then overcomes it with a hick-up :-) Maybe my XL has some issues, don't know. I did, however, replace first gear pair (8/8) at the motor from your original design to 12/20. The 8 tooth gear got flatened during the ride... I wrote about it in this topic. Thx again for sharing your wonderful MOC/MOD and for making me feel better about the steering :thumbup:

Best regards, 

miha