greg3

Ballabreek 2017

22 hours ago, ColletArrow said:

Nice work! What happened to the kite guy? You know, the one from about February... wasn't he employed by this lot toward the end? I'm enjoying watching these stories unfold, they're pretty good.

Thanks for the comment.... Don't worry, Kiteman is still around - he's just been keeping a low profile as he adapts to his life as a super-villain!! (actually I just haven't got round to shooting any more pics of him - flying scenes are quite hard to set up!!) But now the rest of the gang are out of the picture we may see him stepping up and making a name for himself!! 

As to the full story of happened to the Red Hood Gang, I've just posted the first part of that story in the Comics forum!!

Batman v Red Hood Gang

After the last few updates, things have quietened down in Ballabreek and the locals are getting on with their everyday lives...

In order to treat my minifigs, I finally got the "Fun at the Beach" set, but unfortunately Ballabreek's current beach is a narrow strip of sand... not much room for fun!!

36479396410_1314720a83_c.jpgUntitled by g.nat, on Flickr

The solution? A temporary artificial beach for the summer season...

36875876845_63599faeb9_c.jpgUntitled by g.nat, on Flickr

36875877985_cba07ac6a8_c.jpgUntitled by g.nat, on Flickr

36704711532_25545e6787_c.jpgUntitled by g.nat, on Flickr

The perfect spot to catch some rays, build a sandcastle and enjoy an ice cream!! And if you fancy cooling off, the open air pool is easily accessed with a lifeguard on duty during busy times.

36041557994_a0d8dd8dcd_c.jpgUntitled by g.nat, on Flickr

36735943971_c1c4e2d905_c.jpgUntitled by g.nat, on Flickr

36704711322_5bf4a3340f_c.jpgUntitled by g.nat, on Flickr

The beach will remain in place for another few weeks before the location is reused... what will it be next? 

Edited by greg3

I've finally got round to posting the final part of the Batman story set in Ballabreek Check it out here but what effect has it had on the locals lives? 

Well, with the mine owner arrested for his part in the conspiracy to dump harmful waste and all his assets having been frozen, it's led to the closure of the mine!! The mine has been an active part of Ballabreek for years, providing employment and much needed income to the local economy, and it's hoped a new owner can be found but in the meantime, what to do with it? 

Well for now it's been turned into a small car park...

36840790651_82c2f4c762_c.jpgUntitled by g.nat, on Flickr

All it took was fencing off the mine entrances, painting a few white lines and adding lighting, a barrier and security hut.

36809726732_40e57f7e79_c.jpgUntitled by g.nat, on Flickr

36840791181_35962b8422_c.jpgUntitled by g.nat, on Flickr

36809726332_4221876c75_c.jpgUntitled by g.nat, on Flickr

I also moved the pedestrian entrance closer to the main gate.

36584740540_8bd0f7b742_c.jpgUntitled by g.nat, on Flickr

As you can see I recently picked up the new city accessory set but then realised I had nowhere to put a car park.... it was just "luck" that an available plot of land opened up!!! It might only hold 3 cars but it's better than nothing!!! (It probably makes sense to say it's for workers/visitors to the neighbouring Space Tech facility.)

So will the mine ever reopen? Well, with a new mining theme on the way, I think it's safe to say it will - as long as an investor/owner can be found (say, someone with lots of money, who may also find the chance to create a backup underground secret hideout useful for his crimefighting adventures?)

Anyway, as always, thanks for looking... 

Edited by greg3

This weekend sees the citizens of Ballabreek get a thank you from the people of NInjago.

As you're no doubt aware, the far off land of Ninjago is often beset by wars, uprisings and other destructive events and the people of Ballabreek are always ready to raise money and support charities aiding reconstruction and caring for refugees. Following Ninjago's latest snake/robot/ghost/people who want to be snakes/snakes who want to be people/pirates/djinn/weird fish-themed army/giant mechs/evil ninja*  attack (*delete as appropriate!!) the Ninjago chamber of commerce has decided to send representatives out to show people the true face of Ninjago. What better way to share their country's heritage, culture and uniqueness than by setting up a market...

37395935032_baa36decf4_c.jpgUntitled by g.nat, on Flickr

As well as rewarding the generosity of the locals, aim of the event is to try to encourage people to visit Ninjago in order to give its economy a much needed boost. After all, Ninjago has  much to offer... their world renowned cuisine for a start. Here, the world's greatest sushi chef gives a workshop and tasting session using the finest of Ninjago's ingredients...

23574781228_25f528db79_c.jpgUntitled by g.nat, on Flickr

Of course, no topic on Ninjago can pass without mentioning its history and founding by a group of Ninja who overthrew an evil overlord and gain the country its freedom and independence. Here a wise old sensei tells the story...

36756358673_7baf4d9bd4_c.jpgUntitled by g.nat, on Flickr

Rumours that a group of ninja still protect the land mean that there's great interest in Ninjago martial arts and a group of students show the locals their skills. Here teaching sword work (with wooden training swords of course!!)

36756358393_d5b4993c19_c.jpgUntitled by g.nat, on Flickr

And here showing what years of training can achieve...

23574781388_1652ebe31f_c.jpgUntitled by g.nat, on Flickr

But Ninjago is not all about the past, it has a vibrant music scene and is at the forefront of a new genre of music - a heady mix of thrash metal and bubblegum pop known as N-pop. Here members of a leading N-pop band perform their latest song...

36717066844_b7be68ba17_c.jpgUntitled by g.nat, on Flickr

So there we have it, a small taste of what Ninjago has to offer... who knows we may see more Ballabreek/Ninjago links in future (for a start their police forces are considering some officer exchanges) so watch this space!!

In the meantime here's a few more pics...

37426602061_52d8ef7df5_c.jpgUntitled by g.nat, on Flickr

37426602181_76f40c7730_c.jpgUntitled by g.nat, on Flickr

As you can tell, I'm getting in the Ninjago mood (having always turned my nose up at the theme the new sets have changed my mind... I've even got into the cartoon series!!) and wanted to use the new figures in my town. Anyway thanks for looking...

Edited by greg3

I always get a little excited when I see this thread's title under 'next unread topic'...

You have indeed crammed that little jetty full of details and life, an excellent way of integrating other themes into a city. Well done.

Edited by ColletArrow
speling!

There may not have been much going on in Ballabreek recently but this weekend has seen the locals celebrating Halloween (or Hop-tu-naa as it's known here in the Isle of Man).

This year has seen a local theatre group putting on a series of plays based on local ghost/horror legends... and where better to perform them than in the tunnels of the mine!! (legal wrangles have meant that a prospective new owner hasn't yet been able to resume production so the tunnels are empty and provide the perfect atmosphere for a night of horror!!!)

The locals are queueing up to enter (Most of them have dressed up for the occasion!!)

24170986768_e1cd511120_c.jpgUntitled by g.nat, on Flickr

While the plays take place underground, the entertainment begins on the surface with killer plants...

37992118122_9af14003f2_c.jpgUntitled by g.nat, on Flickr

... a haunted castle diorama...

38023031891_fd37d16de7_c.jpgUntitled by g.nat, on Flickr

... trapped zombies...

24170987028_9626d38271_c.jpgUntitled by g.nat, on Flickr

... and even animatronic ghosts!!

37969320726_af128dd723_c.jpgUntitled by g.nat, on Flickr

The host for the evening welcomes the guests with an offer of "red wine"...

26246893129_b1223b2c64_c.jpgUntitled by g.nat, on Flickr

... before the audience prepare to enter the mine!!

24170986928_21e2e13718_c.jpgUntitled by g.nat, on Flickr

Unfortunately the theatre group wouldn't allow me to photograph the performance itself (perhaps next year!!) but the minifigs tell me it was "Scarily good"!! 

As you can probably tell I wanted to "entertain" my minifigs - and make use of the latest Halloween seasonal set (as well as the monster CMF set from a couple of years back) 

Thanks for looking and Happy Hop-tu-naa!!!

Edited by greg3

Great storytelling with your setups and photography as always. I’ve enjoyed reading your updates (and going right back through Ballabreek’s “history”) for a while now. You must have a pretty sizeable collection of figures and partially rebuilt sets backstage though!

Yay new updates. The halloween celebration is great and I like that you had the Ninjago characters stop by. Very fun. Hopefully the mine pollution can be cleaned up with no lingering health effects to the minifigures. The head floating on the blue plate in the beach scene to show him swimming is hilarious. 

Thanks for the comments... good to hear people are enjoying my updates!!

This weekend has seen the citizens of Ballabreek take time out of their busy lives to remember all those who have given their lives in war. As part of the Armistice Day commemorations there has been a wreath laying ceremony at the village war memorial...

24484297398_a21d20ba0f_c.jpgUntitled by g.nat, on Flickr

The sounding of the last post began a 2 minute silence...

38355530991_17d36f03a9_c.jpgUntitled by g.nat, on Flickr

As is Ballabreek's tradition, the wreath is placed by a local serving member of the armed forces... this year helped by the winner of a children's poem writing competition (making sure that the next generation recognise the sacrifices made long before they were born) The young lady needed a little encouragement but did a fine job.

26580279589_01cb129a4f_c.jpgUntitled by g.nat, on Flickr

This year has also been the centenary of the death in action of Ballabreek's most decorated war hero: pilot Trevor Stephens (see what I did there?). His most notable exploit, was that after being shot down and captured, he not only escaped but managed to steal the German's latest fighter. The plane, which had been causing huge loses among the Allied air forces thanks to its synchronisation gear that allowed it to fire through the spinning propellor, was a valuable prize, allowing the Allies to change the balance of the air war. Once its secrets had been revealed, the pane was given back to Stephens who continued to use it as his personal fighter on a number of secret missions until he was finally shot down in November 1917. Now his great-grandson has built a replica of the aircraft and it's first flight was a flypast to salute the bravery of all those who have served.

26580279799_2a6522e3a5_c.jpgUntitled by g.nat, on Flickr

38355531431_cac2dab6f8_c.jpgUntitled by g.nat, on Flickr

Later the plane landed at the local airfield to give people the chance of a closer look..

38324659292_a832cb6af1_c.jpgUntitled by g.nat, on Flickr

It's owner related some of Stephens' many adventures as well as personal family memories of him..

26580279109_54c3e755b0_c.jpgUntitled by g.nat, on Flickr

24484297788_cac2dab6f8_c.jpgUntitled by g.nat, on Flickr

The highly prized "secret weapon" the forward firing machine gun (in real life, the synchronisation gear did give the Germans a huge advantage until the Allies were able to get an intact version from a downed aircraft)

26580278639_742c69deaf_c.jpgUntitled by g.nat, on Flickr

As you can probably tell, the plane is a MODed version of the one from this years Wonder Woman set.... unfortunately I've mislaid the stickers so it became British (I had the roundels from an adventurers set!!) and then of course needed a "Greg3 backstory"!! I'm currently playing around with creating the plane in different colour schemes and tweaking the design so it'll probably get its own topic at a later date!!

Anyway thanks for looking.

Comments are always welcome.

I love that memorial cross! I do think you missed out some scouts with lowered flags etc, although I have no idea how you would build a LEGO scout minifig. Good job with the plane too. I always look forward to these updates!

For this update it's back to the harbour area where work has begun to extend the quayside to allow more ships to moor up. 

37834137274_2c9117c4e1_c.jpgimage by g.nat, on Flickr

A new harbour wall is being constructed on a base of crushed rock which is being dumped by a barge moored in the harbour.

38550224651_924d4b65a7_c.jpgimage by g.nat, on Flickr

38518535562_0acd968a5f_c.jpgimage by g.nat, on Flickr

The fore(wo)man guides the bucket operator via radio...

38550233671_a96a9c6885_c.jpgimage by g.nat, on Flickr

38493859876_5c9faec52c_c.jpgimage by g.nat, on Flickr

It's hoped that most of the work will be completed before winter storms arrive...

37662399745_379f46dd6e_c.jpgimage by g.nat, on Flickr

This little scene is a result of my decision  to extend the quayside in order to fit in a Coastguard station (and possibly another shop to go with the dive shop... perhaps a small version of Anton's Bait Shop?) The barge is a quick 20 min MOC based on a barge I spotted moored in my local harbour (with the addition of the cab/bucket from this year's official construction set)

As always, thanks for looking and feel free to comment...

Well, now it's December, the good folks of Ballabreek can begin getting ready for Christmas!! Unfortunately the construction work from the last update means that the area usually used for public entertainment is unavailable, leaving only the small park area but the citizens won't let that stop them from giving the kids a Christmas to remember!!

23948511047_2622a09452_c.jpgUntitled by g.nat, on Flickr

There may not be much room but they've squeezed in the traditional tree...

24940838408_e2def9286f_c.jpgUntitled by g.nat, on Flickr

... an ice rink... (as with last year, kindly sponsored by local businessman Oswald Cobblepot!)

27037320529_5fb6bb2288_c.jpgUntitled by g.nat, on Flickr

27037320499_0d32b51fa6_c.jpgUntitled by g.nat, on Flickr

And new for this year, a kiddie train ride.

38782557852_99a3ff4caa_c.jpgUntitled by g.nat, on Flickr

38097045704_5a8d81654a_c.jpgUntitled by g.nat, on Flickr

A number of small stalls provide sweets and drinks.

23948511057_ca710c170d_c.jpgUntitled by g.nat, on Flickr

27037320079_9cceb1f480_c.jpgUntitled by g.nat, on Flickr

As you can see, I wanted to use this year's seasonal Christmas sets to bring some festive cheer to my minifigs (and wish all at Eurobricks a Happy Christmas!!)

Thanks for looking...

Nice! I think that’s pretty much the perfect use for those sets, and as ever, inspiring proof that it’s possible to develop a varied and interesting layout without spreading to acres of tabletop space!

Meanwhile, back at the harbour...

Construction work is finished on the new harbour wall and coastguard station (my local workers work very quickly!!)

38958386721_ebb7f11ca0_c.jpgUntitled by g.nat, on Flickr

The coastguard station itself is set to become fully operational in the new year when it will be used to help co-ordinate rescue operations along this stretch of coast.

38958387451_c3ac6c7d0f_c.jpgUntitled by g.nat, on Flickr

It will also be the base for a new inshore rescue craft, designed to perform rescues along the treacherous and rocky coastline around Ballabreek.

38072411005_40e5318039_c.jpgUntitled by g.nat, on Flickr

Today the crew are taking it out to conduct exercises and sea trials.

38922165242_b07c19c8a4_c.jpgUntitled by g.nat, on Flickr

24093522957_131d76ea65_c.jpgUntitled by g.nat, on Flickr

From where I live, I can often see the local lifeboat heading out/returning from rescues or exercises so I wanted to find a way to get this year's Coastguard sets into my layout and I think this fits quite well (and of course it'll make the seas (or at least the blue baseplates!!) around Ballabreek that bit safer!!)

Thanks for looking!!

Ah! I missed quite a few updates...I love the Christmas one. Nice work integrating the two Christmas sets & a great little ice rink. 

46 minutes ago, gotoAndLego said:

Where on the island do you live?

My guess is he lives in Douglas on the Isle of Man. ?

7 hours ago, AllanSmith said:

My guess is he lives in Douglas on the Isle of Man. ?

I do indeed live in Douglas (the island's capital)

12 minutes ago, greg3 said:

I do indeed live in Douglas (the island's capital)

? I saw you mentioned 2 store names in a UK Sales post. Google is very helpful, even from the other side of the world in New Zealand ?

On 11/12/2017 at 2:49 AM, greg3 said:

From where I live, I can often see the local lifeboat heading out/returning from rescues or exercises

Me too. The other day i got to see a rock fisher be airlifted to hospital. The boats and helicopter reminded my of the coast gaurd sets. Keep up the cool stories from Ballabreek 'greg3'.:classic: