My 9th entry into the CCC XIV, for the ‘Ice Castle’ category. Credit for the tree design goes to Legopard. I didn’t really think I was going to do an entry for the castle category this year, but after looking at several wooden castles from various people, I decided to give it a try. I’m quite pleased with how it turned out.

The story continues one that Isaac started here.

One of the first visits Glorfindel made was to the nearby village of Balkr. Since it was nearby, and the jarl, Torkild, was good friends with Karsten it seemed like a logical starting point. Also for these reasons, Karsten allowed the twins to go with Glorfindel and Dedan. Eryl and Elise were enjoying the little excursion, and Glorfindel was glad to have a chance to spend some time with his nephew and niece.

Upon arriving at Balkr, Glorfindel and Dedan were welcomed by jarl Torkild and went into the long house to discuss their news.
"Feel free to explore the village, but stay close by, we shouldn't be long," Glorfindel said to the twins.

They soon found several village children and a shortly after a vigorous snowball fight was underway.

Overview-6.jpg

Low-4.jpg

As they had expected, Torkild was quite willing to keep a close eye on the Nocturnus border. In fact, from the look of things in the village, he already had been strengthening the town watch.

Upon exiting the hall, Glorfindel was almost hit by a snowball! Laughing, he glanced at the playful kids and saw that one of the village children had just been clobbered by a large snowball.

Talk.jpg

Tree-2.jpg

"Sorry to break up the party, but I'm afraid we need to head back to Harburg now."

"Alright Uncle Fin," Eryl answered reluctantly, "thanks for playing Toke and Stefan!"

More build pictures:

Right-4.jpg

Back-4.jpg

LC.jpg

Left-low.jpg

Close-1.jpg

Storage.jpg

And as usual, you can find more on brickbuilt.

Thanks for looking :classic:

Edited by LittleJohn

You're right to be pleased with how it turned out, cause it urned out magnificent! :wub: My only critique would be the dark orange (for one reason or another, I don't really like it), but the pallissaade, the curved roof, the crossbars of the tower and all small details (like the playing children) make this such a wonderfull build :drool: 

Great stuff! I like how you managed to put some of the poles in the palisade in a sloped position, how did you do that by the way? :) Many details to look at and be inspired by! 

I like how you combined many of your guys own techinques here. I recognise the wooden wall of the main building and the frame of the tower, for example. I really like the pier!

Great build LJ, you packed a lot of Mitgardian feel into this!  The palisades, especially the subtly leaning posts, are really well done and excellent snowscape!  The frigid water looks fantastic also, and the curved tan roof has such an epic viking feel! :thumbup: 

This is nicely done.  I really like the wall and the roof on the main building is amazing nice work.  I love children having a snowball fight.  The snow effects are great and the dock is well built.  Overall great job. 

Amazing build John! Love the rickety-wood feel of the fort. 

Splendid fort build! Lots of details from terrain to the buildings/towers architecture. All around fantastic stuff. 

This turned out splendidly :wub: Very effective water technique, and the village layout works nicely :thumbup: Neat stone texture for the building foundations, and the snow covered bushes and trees are great finishing touches :classic:

This is a very nice Mitgardian fort, LJ!

It is nice to see that your amazing building techniques are not limited to Kaliphlin!  As others have stated, I also like the palisade with the snow on top and the angled posts, the icy water, and the snow and landscaping.  The thatched roofs and timber arches on the buildings are very Mitgardian and nicely built!  That is a lovely pier design as well!  I might be biased being Mitgardian, but I really love the scene you have created!

hey I missed this - lovely palisade! and good to see that someone else uses dark orange in timbered builds! ^^

On 1/7/2017 at 11:16 AM, TitusV said:

You're right to be pleased with how it turned out, cause it urned out magnificent! :wub: My only critique would be the dark orange (for one reason or another, I don't really like it), but the pallissaade, the curved roof, the crossbars of the tower and all small details (like the playing children) make this such a wonderfull build :drool: 

Thanks a lot, Titus!

On 1/7/2017 at 11:57 AM, Lazer said:

Cool!:wink:

Thank you :classic:

On 1/7/2017 at 2:18 PM, McTraul said:

I like it

Thanks!

On 1/7/2017 at 3:23 PM, de Gothia said:

Great stuff! I like how you managed to put some of the poles in the palisade in a sloped position, how did you do that by the way? :) Many details to look at and be inspired by! 

Thanks de Gothia! We'll quite possibly be doing a tutorial for the angled palisade in the future, but Isaac did a brief explanation of how it is done here. Hope that helps :classic:

On 1/7/2017 at 5:21 PM, dathil said:

I like how you combined many of your guys own techinques here. I recognise the wooden wall of the main building and the frame of the tower, for example. I really like the pier!

Thanks dathil! Glad you liked the pier :classic:

On 1/7/2017 at 6:00 PM, Kai NRG said:

Great build LJ, you packed a lot of Mitgardian feel into this!  The palisades, especially the subtly leaning posts, are really well done and excellent snowscape!  The frigid water looks fantastic also, and the curved tan roof has such an epic viking feel! :thumbup: 

Thanks Kai! I was really pleased with that water, and probably will be using it more in the future.

On 1/7/2017 at 6:08 PM, Tilenull said:

Really curious about that wall technique - Amazing build though.

As I mentioned to de Gothia above, we'll quite possibly being a tutorial of it at some point. But Isaac did a brief explanation of it here. Thank you! :classic: 

On 1/7/2017 at 10:29 PM, zoth33 said:

This is nicely done.  I really like the wall and the roof on the main building is amazing nice work.  I love children having a snowball fight.  The snow effects are great and the dock is well built.  Overall great job. 

Thanks, the snowball fight was fun to pose :classic:

On 1/7/2017 at 11:26 PM, Windusky said:

Amazing build John! Love the rickety-wood feel of the fort. 

Thanks Windusky!

On 1/8/2017 at 0:58 AM, Merc4Hire said:

Splendid fort build! Lots of details from terrain to the buildings/towers architecture. All around fantastic stuff. 

Thank you!

On 1/9/2017 at 8:03 AM, soccerkid6 said:

This turned out splendidly :wub: Very effective water technique, and the village layout works nicely :thumbup: Neat stone texture for the building foundations, and the snow covered bushes and trees are great finishing touches :classic:

Thanks Isaac! :classic:

On 1/9/2017 at 10:49 AM, Slegengr said:

This is a very nice Mitgardian fort, LJ!

It is nice to see that your amazing building techniques are not limited to Kaliphlin!  As others have stated, I also like the palisade with the snow on top and the angled posts, the icy water, and the snow and landscaping.  The thatched roofs and timber arches on the buildings are very Mitgardian and nicely built!  That is a lovely pier design as well!  I might be biased being Mitgardian, but I really love the scene you have created!

Thanks, Slegengr! It's always fun branching out into different guilds :classic:

On 1/13/2017 at 5:30 PM, en_zoo said:

hey I missed this - lovely palisade! and good to see that someone else uses dark orange in timbered builds! ^^

Thanks en_zoo! Yup, I quite like the dark orange here, myself :grin: