Sign in to follow this  
jrathfon

Louisville & Nashville EMD E7 790 & 791 MOC

Hello All,

Finally after 3 years in the making I am presenting my first MOC. I wanted to start out with something easy and something local. This is obviously based off of Shup's great E7 NYC set, and shup helped a lot with some details a few years ago including the windshield design. I had a few tweaks of my own as I was trying to model this as close to 1:48 scale as possible. I hate doing decals, so this sat on my desk for 2 years gathering dust. Now she's all polished up and all that's left to do is decal her fully built sister!

Without much further ado, some background and some pics:

History of the L&N

LNCincy.jpg

Spec drawing I went off of:

e7a2.jpg

And here's the MOC!

IMG_0069

IMG_0067IMG_0064

IMG_0065IMG_0058IMG_0057IMG_0056

All the photos.

Edited by jrathfon

Wow! Excellent job. Great attention to detail. How did you do your vents on the top? That's the part I'm struggling with on my Union Pacific E6. Vertical half plate offsets are my weakness.

-Jeffinslaw

Hi, how did you do the front windows? there is either some incredible SNOT trick or borderline miracle? anyway, train looks great!

I too am I defeated in more window details!  Very nice overall, love the color pallet.

Thanks guys! I originally had the stripes brick built, but the proportions were off up at the front of the cab with 3 yellow stripes, 6 red stripes and a plate of blue between, so I rebuilt the entire loco and resorted to pinstriping. I'll most more photos when both A units are complete!

The windshield build details can be seen in shup's Century limited I linked in the first paragraph. It's super complicated, but I reached out to Shup and he helped me figure it out in the end. Although his solution is purist, I found the windows kept falling apart so I used a little double sided tape to increase "clutch power" of the glass into the 1x2 grills.

Wow, very nice build! I can see the inspiration you took from Shup, but also there are some noticeable differences in the locos as well. The two of these will look very nice together! Any plans for cars for them?

Thanks all! The decals are "O scale" waterslide decals from "Microscale Decals". I got mine off of ebay because they've been out of print for awhile. I am still playing with sealants for the waterslides as they are a little delicate right now. Currently used "micro sol" to get some of the air bubbles out. Might need to do clear acrylic (nail polish) to seal them.

Shup definitely gets a lot of credit on this, especially with the windshield. I wanted to start easy on my first MOC, but bit off a lot with the decals and pinstriping. I have shaky hands so it's hard for me. Due to the availability of dark blue parts, I had to change up the top of the nose slope. This part didn't exist in dark blue when I started, apparently it does now! 6091

I chose these guys because my local Tennessee Central Railway Museum has two F7A's and an F7B in this livery they use to pull tourist trains:

f7_819.jpg

And Bowling Green has a restored L&N E8 #796:

The-796.jpg

https://historicrailpark.com/the-story-of-the-e-8-engine/

I do have a full line of Pullman cars LDD modeled after the Bowling Green train seen here (a la a Hummingbord or Georgian): https://historicrailpark.com/the-ln-presidential-car/

Presidential-Car-08.jpg

This will have to wait a bit though. Got to decal the other E7A, then finish my narrow gauge tweetsie! Then I was also looking at modelling this Dixie 4-8-4!: http://www.ncstl.com/576/576today.htm

On 1/6/2017 at 8:58 PM, Jeffinslaw said:

Wow! Excellent job. Great attention to detail. How did you do your vents on the top? That's the part I'm struggling with on my Union Pacific E6. Vertical half plate offsets are my weakness.

-Jeffinslaw

Looks like my question got lost up above.

-Jeffinslaw

@Jeffinslaw I'll take some better pics in a few days of the top. Do you mean the 1x2 grille 61409? There is also SNOT for the two sets of 4 exhaust ports, mainly using headlight bricks underneath and part 3700 to hold the 1x1 round plates for the exhaust tips. It's essentially an 8x8 unit with headlight brick on headlight brick to get the right plate spacing for the 8 stud long 2x8 central SNOT portion. Hope that makes sense. I'll post pics later.

Shup's got good detail pics in his E7 Century Limited album linked in my original post above.

Edited by jrathfon

50 minutes ago, jrathfon said:

@Jeffinslaw I'll take some better pics in a few days of the top. Do you mean the 1x2 grille 61409? There is also SNOT for the two sets of 4 exhaust ports, mainly using headlight bricks underneath and part 3700 to hold the 1x1 round plates for the exhaust tips. It's essentially an 8x8 unit with headlight brick on headlight brick to get the right plate spacing for the 8 stud long 2x8 central SNOT portion. Hope that makes sense. I'll post pics later.

Shup's got good detail pics in his E7 Century Limited album linked in my original post above.

I was talking about the SNOT for the two sets of 4 exhaust ports. I just need to sit around and play with that in the real brick to get it to work I think. I'll go revisit Shup's album on flickr.

Thanks!

-Jeffinslaw

@Jeffinslaw Hey Jeff! These should help! The headlight bricks are sitting on a 4x8 plate with 1x2 jumper plates. So it goes substrate>jumper>headlight>headlight>1x1 plate>1x2 technic brick.

IMG_0079

IMG_0080

Really beautiful MOC! I'm glad I could help with the nose design and windows some. Fantastic job with the colors and striping too, especially since dark blue can be a tougher color to build with!

What a gorgeous locomotive. As mentioned, you have nailed the proportions and colors perfectly.
Awesome build !  :wub:

KlodsBrik.

17 hours ago, Shupp said:

Really beautiful MOC! I'm glad I could help with the nose design and windows some. Fantastic job with the colors and striping too, especially since dark blue can be a tougher color to build with!

Thank you Shupp!! That means a lot, as you set the mark on the E7 sets! Thank you for the help a few years ago! You definitely deserve a lot of the credit on this build. There were some tweaks for dark blue, but you solved many of the hurdles before me! Using the scale spec diagram up above was also super useful in terms of proportions, windows and vent layouts. If anybody is ever trying to do a scale build I highly recommend finding the engineering diagram!

I'll take some better pictures when both units are decaled (water-slided them a few days ago, just have striping left), with better lighting to highlight the tanks and trucks as well.