So I've got kind of an unusual question. I'm working on a computer generated film right now—it's really a personal project, but I intend to publish it and possibly sell copies if it does well, so I'm making sure to account and budget for all necessary licensing fees to ensure I don't unwittingly commit any copyright violations—and one scene calls for stuff that looks like it's made out of LEGO. I figure that from a technical standpoint, the easiest way to do this would be to actually build those props out of LEGO in the LEGO Digital Designer and then convert them into Maya objects.

My question is, does anyone know if I would need to acquire licensing to use the LDD brick models, or rights for the likenesses of LEGO products, or anything like that from the LEGO Group® in order for this method to be legal?

I don't know the answer to that, but I do know that the LDraw parts library can be used under a Creative Commons Attribution license (including commercial use). More details here: http://www.ldraw.org/article/227.html

LDD does not use LDraw parts files, but there are several other LEGO CAD programs that do.

The license attached to LDD  prohibit commercial use. Quote:

You may NOT:
(vii) use the Software or the backup copy for any commercial purpose; (viii) remove any proprietary notices or labels on the Software or Documentation;

So the answer is simple - commercial use of LDD will violate its license.

or rights for the likenesses of LEGO products,

There's no such thing. Lego attempted to patent its bricks, and failed to do so. You can even manufacture compatible bricks, unless you call them "Lego" or any other registered phrase, like "Nexo" (that would be trademark violation).

Now, since you're seeking legal advice on internet forum instead of your lawyer, I suspect that it is possible that nobody will care, you're not shooting Hollywood blockbuster.

5 hours ago, BrokenEye said:

Likeness rights and patents are two totally different things, but I take your meaning.

:) That's because "likeness rights" is not a thing. Most close concept (in USA) is "design patent" (kind of patent Apple fought Samsung) or publicity rights for people.

Best bet is to contact LEGO and get it clarified in writing from them.

Since LDraw has possibility to use license compatible with your needs and the fact you can open LDD file open in LDCad (LDraw software) you can cheat, sort of. Create model in LDD, import it in LDCad (fix if needed) and use it to export into Maya. Don't mention you've used LDD.

6 hours ago, dr_spock said:

Best bet is to contact LEGO and get it clarified in writing from them.

I'll try that, but they make it incredibly difficult to get answers to LDD-related questions. This was my backup plan.

16 hours ago, BrokenEye said:

I'll try that, but they make it incredibly difficult to get answers to LDD-related questions. This was my backup plan.

If you're a member of a LUG, you could ask your LUG Ambassador for help.  He/she would have some contacts inside LEGO.