Sign in to follow this  
Samer

[WIP] Single RC buggy car

Hi everybody. I got recently one RC Buggy motor. I plan to get another one when I have chance but for now me and my son decided to make an RC car with that. I built the drive so far as in the picture. It works fine but with one problem, when the car drives forward on the ground there is sound of gear skipping. This doesn't happen when driving backwards. Ideas and help are appreciated.

800x450.jpg

800x450.jpg

The differential needs very good bracing or it will skip. Do you have any of the rectangular frames to house it in?

15 minutes ago, skppo said:

The differential needs very good bracing or it will skip. Do you have any of the rectangular frames to house it in?

I will try that. Any other suspected sources?

If you wont use steered front axle, you dont need the diff, which means you can make direct connection (axle goes through the motor's outputs), which will be rigid, and therefore, no play between the gears and no slipping.

If you want to use diff, then older style 16t-24t diff with drive gears in line would have much better connection, instead of 90 degrees connection you have now.

Thanks Milan. We do plan to steer the final product. I made a trial before this with the old diff and it was working nice. I switched to this as it helped creating symmetric build with the given motor shape, which helps keeping the model smaller and faster.

Good Morning.

As skppo suggested. A rectangle solved! I used this rectangle to embrace the motor in.

800x450.jpg

Now on to the steering. Anybody can check this please: Sariel book 1 - lever steering figure 14.10:

It looks to me there is a mistake. In the 1st figure which shows centered steering position, the horizontal knob gear is placed in X position while the axle passing through it must be in + position. 

True, there is graphical mistake (other two pictures are correct), but it doesn't affect the implementation.

On 1/6/2017 at 4:28 PM, zux said:

True, there is graphical mistake (other two pictures are correct), but it doesn't affect the implementation.

True, unless you plan to use the below part ( with M motor) for return to center:

x928cx1.png

Which is my case. Thus I shifted to pivot steering.

800x450.jpg

There's just one thing I see wrong with your steering setup: your wheels are very far away from your pivot point. I'm guessing you have Sariel's Unofficial Lego Technic Builder's guide. Pivot points are explained in there.