Capt Wolf

Eslandola Colonial Council, First Cycle, 617, IN SESSION

The campaigns for Eslandola’s first Colonial Council have concluded, and the council’s business will be conducted in public in this thread, unless national security merits private deliberations.

For the First Cycle, the Colonial Council will meet at the lecture hall in Weelond on the island of An Holli in the Sea of Storms. The hall has been renamed Colonial Hall to honor this momentous occasion.

05e.jpg

Eslandola’s Admius Legistrad, the leader of the Colonial Council, is

roman_fontonajo.jpg Román Esteban Fontonajo, Mayor of Nova Terreli and Governor of the island of Nellisa.

The delegations representing the colonial regions and the trade companies are made up of three representatives each.

The East Trade-Wind Company is represented by:

col_brickinson.jpg  Colonel Brickinson, adventurer extraordinaire;

george.jpg  George, the brains of the ETWC; and

alberto_da_pontelli.jpg  Alberto da Pontelli, Mayor of Pontelli.

The Merchant’s Colonial Trading Company is represented by:

guilder.jpg  Willem Guilder, Eslandola Secretary of Trade;

aaron_van_der_meede.jpg  Aaron van der Meede, attorney and Weelond town council member; and

pip_janszen.jpg  Captain Philip Janszen of the Far Horizon.

The MAESTRO Trade Company is represented by:

jerome_monezterell.jpg  Jerome Monezterrell, Mayor of Fuerto Unido;

capt_lamar_evercrees.jpg  Captain Lamar Evercrees of the Santiago; and

farrucio_paraja.jpg  Farrucio Paraja, naval architect extraordinaire

The Sea of Storms Region (An Toli, An Holli) is represented by:

col_oystridge.jpg  Colonel Oystridge, Mayor of Bardo;

victor_servadac.jpg  Victor Servadac of the White Glove Order; and

Marquis Alkurda, scholar of science and medicine.

The Sea of Thieves Region (Nelissa, Berreli, Ferro Azure, Torrach Bonn, Isla Philippe) is represented by:

roman_fontonajo.jpg  Román Esteban Fontonajo (the Admius Legistrad is allowed to simultaneously hold a regular seat in the council);

raphael_fontonajo.jpg  Raphael Fontonajo, Román’s uncle, a scholar; and

fontonajo_son.jpg  Joaquin Seramon Fontonajo, Román’s 2nd son, an explorer and adventurer.

The Prio Sea Region (Isla de la Victoria, Otoño, La Sombra) is represented by:

maxim.jpg  Lord Maximilian Damaximus, CEO of MAESTRO;

Sir Yohannes Ethiximus, Mayor of Trador; and

gen_samu.jpg  General Samu The Dragon, MAESTRO General of Prio Troops.

No one ran to represent the Independent traders of Eslandola, so those three seats are vacant this cycle.

empty_desks.jpg

Thus begins democracy in the Brick Seas. The First Cycle of the Colonial Council of Eslandola is now in session.

Last of them all Román Esteban Fontonajo entered the Colonial Hall in Weelond. Beside him walked his uncle Raphael and his son Joaquin. His eyes scanned the hall, amazed by the work of Guilder's men.

He nodded to the Council's other members. When his companions took seat in the "Sea of Thieves" row, he made a quick halt, looked at his seat which would stay empty for most of the period, and then continued through the hall. He arrived at the small pedestal at the front of the hall, took two thoughtful steps up the stairs and then took seat at his table.

He looked around the hall before he started:

"All hail, fellow councilmen. I am glad you have all made it, and I warmly welcome you to our first ever session of the Colonial Council of Eslandola, here in Weelond! I am glad you all found your way to An Holli!

Before we start I want to thank my dear friend Willem Guilder for providing this wonderful hall for our meeting. I am sure that our other settlements will build halls as worthy to our purpose in the future as well.

But we have a lot to discuss today!"

Román Esteban Fontonajo. Admius Legistrad of Eslandola, the first ever leader of the Colonail Council.

He had done it.

42 minutes ago, Elostirion said:

"I want to thank my dear friend Willem Guilder for providing this wonderful hall for our meeting. I am sure that our other settlements will build halls as worthy to our purpose in the future as well."

Guilder rose from his seat in the front right row where the MCTC delegation had taken up residence.

"Thank you, Román. I look forward to seeing future sessions of our new council meet on islands throughout the colonies in the coming months and years."

Guilder then picked up a sheet of parchment that had been laying on the desk in front of him.

"If I may offer the first piece of business for this council, the Continental Council has asked us to confer the title of Secretary of the Navy, and all the responsibilities that infers, upon Jerome Monezterrell, for all he has done to strengthen our navy and ensure that our trade runs our well protected, all while sending ships out to prosecute our war with Mardier."

"Well said, Willem", Fontonajo replied. "There is no better way to emphasize all of Monezterell's recent efforts and achievements. However we shouldn't live in the past but only look beyond, towards our future, and think about the tasks of tomorrow. And with that in mind I cannot think of a better Secretary of the Navy than Monezterell."

Colonel Oystridge, stood up from the Sea of Storms tables, took a puff of his cigar, and spoke in a mild manner:.

"Gentlefigs, First I must state that I am honored to be here. Never did I believe I would live to see the day, when ordinary figs like ourselves, would take decisions that impacts, not only Eslandola, but consequently the whole known world. For the first time in history, commoners have direct influence on the choices of a nation. In other words, we are eating at the kings table. Nonetheless, we still have to clean up the scraps. That includes making Oleon and Corrington relations better. Our approach towards the nationless people should be one of openness and understanding, rather than disregarding them as fig beings."

His voice shifted and grew stronger with every word. His face took on a stern look.

"For what faces us now are an enemy mightier, and more cunning than we may think. The Letters of Marque are rightfully a good measure, but we must not forget the figs that at this very moment are trying to settle in Fuerte Unido. We need to secure our hold, and make it the safe harbour it was intended to be. Now it is also a strategic point for information, as well as our first line defense against the Mardier threat. Our task is arduous, and our future most uncertain in these pressing times. Appointing Monezterell, who have shown great initiative and prowess, as Secretary of the Navy is a wise proposal in this regard. You have my full support, on behalf of the people on An Toli. Also, if someone would be so kind give me an update after the meeting regarding our expansion plans in Fuerte Unido, it would be most welcome. As you may know Bardo have sent some of their best troops to support Fuerte Unido, like many of us have, and we must stand united, even if we have to do it alone."

Willem Guilder turned to his friend from the Sea of Storms:

"Well said, Colonel Oystridge. Mardier has been silent on Isle de Victoria lately, but we cannot expect it to last. We need a current accounting of our troop strength on the island and continue to supplement it. I would hope we could gather at least a full regiment of 270 men there, and I firmly believe we will need far more before the matter is through. If we wait to reinforce it, we risk dealing with a Mardier blockade."

Guilder looked around the room before continuing.

"But the Colonel raises another important point, about Fuerte Unido's expansion. I think we are learning that, as trade grows in the colonies of all the nations of Halos, true trade centers are few and far between. Nova Terreli is a magnet to all the traders in the east. If we can expand Fuerte Unido to half that size, it will become a trading port too valuable to the other nations for them to let it fall. Fontonajo urges us to look forward, not back, and that is what I propose we do with Fuerte Unido: build it into the jewel of the far eastern colonies so that it will command the support of all civilized nations. What can we do to pledge ourselves to its rapid expansion?"

Victor Servadac raised his arm for a comment, and Guilder gestured him to speak his mind:

"I want to remind everyone of the offer from The White Glove Order, and repeat it for those that may have missed it. 100dbs total, offered in 10dbs increments for every commercial property in Fuerte Unido, Trador and or any other Eslandolan settlement in the East Prio Seas. If no one objects I want to extend the offer to any building in those regions, as long as they are built in Eslandolan settlements. The offer applies to builders from all nationalities. Like Guilder say, we intend to build it into a resource for every civilized nation. With Trador and Salida Este as supportive settlements we can make our part of the Prio Seas into an attractive region for trade.

Builders that have built in the last month, or the mayors of these settlements can contact me to get the rewards to the ones that have earned it."

Fontonajo looked at the man, curious, but also slightly impressed.

"So I hear we have no objections towards entitling Monezterell Secretary of the Navy? That is good news, and I don't think we will need a voting here?

But to you, Servadac. You have brought up a point of masssive importance. We need to expand our settlements again. While the last reports summarize more than 13 thousand Dubloons in our national treasuries, the total monthly income of the colonies has only increased by 130 Dubloons from December to January, which is a lousy 3 per cent monthly growth rate. In other words: Our towns don't grow anymore - stagnation! We need to put an end to that. Right now. We need to mobilize all pioneers, stonemasons, woodchoppers, architects, builders, entrepreneurs. We need to make them go out there and set up more business and economy in all of the colonies.

I suggest that we bring our national treasuries to good use and fund every licensing of a property of an Eslandolan in our settlements within the next three months as follows:
- 15 DBs for every small property
- 30 DBs for every medium property
- 50 DBs for every large property
- 500 DBs for every royal property (150 for private palaces)
- 15 DBs for prospecting
- 20 DBs for setting up a mine",

Fontonajo read from a prepared scroll.

Fontonajo looked around. Noone objected. For now, at least. Well then, time to move on.

"But continuous income, my fellow councilmen, is not all there is. And you know it! Sailing the seas is where true and large profit lies. That is how our nation will become even richer. We must strengthen our naval forces as well. Shipwrights must have more monetary incentives to provide ships, both to private owners as well as to the Councils of Eslandola.

I suggest that we massively fund shipwrights for the next three months. My goal is for our Colonial Fleet to grow by at least 20 ships in the next 6 months, with 10 of them being rated as class 4 or higher. To achieve this I propose the following rewards for shipwrights:

10 DBs for class 0-1
25 DBs for class 2
45 DBs for class 3, or 80 DBs if sold to Eslandola
75 DBs for class 4, or 150 DBs if sold to Eslandola
100 DBs for class 5, or 200 DBs if sold to Eslandola

Monezterrell, what do you think?"

Edited by Elostirion

Alberto da Pontelli rose from his seat.

"I fully agree to the propositions made by the previous speakers."

George da Pontelli shook his head and waved with his hand.

Alberto continued:

"Oh, I am sorry. The last question was obviously going to Jerome Monezterrell."

He sat down again feeling awkward.

George patted his hand as a gesture.of consolation.

Brickinson nodded. Everything was ok.

Alberto sighed  and began to relax. 

Román Fontonajo gave the ingenious innovator and mayor of Pontelli a warm smile and an acknowledging nod. 

"Your consent is very welcome, my Nellisan friend. And your opinions are as much of importance to this council as anyone else's."

A brief pause and an intense stare at George da Pontelli. The monkey still made him feel awkward, though he had to acknowledge his great intelligence.

"But let me tell you that for now I have a feeling of great unison within this Colonial Council, which I admire. We are all more than willing to shape this great world beyond today."

Time to set some framing.

"But we will have to come to decisions at some point. As you might have noticed I am taking notes on all suggestions. Our Council Servants will soon set up some ballots, so we can start an official voting on each suggestion made to this very council so far. I will set up a Book of Enactments, summarizing all decisions we have made to shape our Colonial World."

Fontonajo looked around, again seeing no objection.

"Now to move on to another subject. Our fortifications. As I told numerous times in my electoral speeches we lack knowledge and strategy regarding our fortifications. We did a great job of coordination these efforts for Fuerte Unido, but what about our other majestic towns. Pirates, or even worse creatures, or even Mardierians" - a brief pause for the moment of shock - "might try to raid our cities!

I call upon this Council to form a 'Fortification Committee'. We need to gather the status quo: How well fortified is each town, and how many more forts could it afford now and in the future. Then we need to craft a strategy on how to approach the maximum fortification level of all our settlements in the Colonies. I would like to call upon three volunteers to join me in this committee!"

[ooc: As AL I feel responsible for organising the votings. If anyone objects (IC or OOC), please feel free to adress it.]

Fontonajo looked around, looking slightly disappointed: "No volunteers, yet?"

After a pause he added: "On another matter, I have just been told that the ballots are being set up right now. I have had a document written, explaining the further voting procedures. Also I will keep a log of all decisions. We will start our first official voting later on."

[ooc: I recommend to follow the voting thread]

On 1/12/2017 at 2:05 AM, Elostirion said:

"Now to move on to another subject. Our fortifications. As I told numerous times in my electoral speeches we lack knowledge and strategy regarding our fortifications. We did a great job of coordination these efforts for Fuerte Unido, but what about our other majestic towns. Pirates, or even worse creatures, or even Mardierians" - a brief pause for the moment of shock - "might try to raid our cities!

I call upon this Council to form a 'Fortification Committee'. We need to gather the status quo: How well fortified is each town, and how many more forts could it afford now and in the future. Then we need to craft a strategy on how to approach the maximum fortification level of all our settlements in the Colonies. I would like to call upon three volunteers to join me in this committee!"

Willem Guilder stood to respond.

"Mr. Fontonajo, I agree we must make sure our settlements are properly protected, and I would be happy to serve on this committee. But I should add that there are current discussions in the Continental Council that will most certainly affect what recommendations such a committee could make. So, I suggest that the committee start with a thorough assessment of our current defenses, but recommendations should wait until we know more about the Continental Council's deliberations."

OOC: Leadership is discussing revisions to the fortification rules. When resolved, any changes should simplify things, but fortifications might be more costly. This shouldn't stop of us from building forts now in new settlements where we have none, however.

On 1/6/2017 at 6:17 PM, Elostirion said:

I suggest that we bring our national treasuries to good use and fund every licensing of a property of an Eslandolan in our settlements within the next three months as follows:
- 15 DBs for every small property
- 30 DBs for every medium property
- 50 DBs for every large property
- 500 DBs for every royal property (150 for private palaces)
- 15 DBs for prospecting
- 20 DBs for setting up a mine",

On 1/10/2017 at 3:55 PM, Elostirion said:

I suggest that we massively fund shipwrights for the next three months. My goal is for our Colonial Fleet to grow by at least 20 ships in the next 6 months, with 10 of them being rated as class 4 or higher. To achieve this I propose the following rewards for shipwrights:

10 DBs for class 0-1
25 DBs for class 2
45 DBs for class 3, or 80 DBs if sold to Eslandola
75 DBs for class 4, or 150 DBs if sold to Eslandola
100 DBs for class 5, or 200 DBs if sold to Eslandola

Guilder paused as he changed subjects.

"On the matter of financial incentives for new properties and ships, while I support the effort in principal, I would suggest more debate before we vote on these proposals. I know some have voiced concerns about whether we can afford such expenditures, and if there are limits on payouts to individuals over the proposed 3-month and 6-month periods, respectively.

I have asked Captain Whiffo to make a presentation to this council regarding state finances. I think it would benefit us all and help us formulate a focused and fiscally responsible plan for encouraging the growth of the colonies."

The door of the Council room burst open with a crash, and Captain Whiffo stood before it rapping his huge cutlass pensively on his hook.  Then, perceiving that he was the center of all the attention of the room, he paused, coughed, and leapt up onto the podium beside the Admius Legistrad.

"Sirs and fellow Captains of Eslandola!

"I, Captain Whiffo of the East Trade Wind Company (which you all should have joined) have been requested to give a(nother) short lesson on profit and how it is made - only this time it refers to the profit made by the faction of Eslandola itself, instead of its individual members.

"Faction profit is made thusly," and Captain Whiffo lowered his magnificent blade to make a diagram in the ornate wooden floor - but George of Pontelli had thankfully foreseen such a possibility and clicked his fingers for some chalk and a chalkboard, which were brought in just in time to avoid the, uh, yes, you know.

"Oh, ah, thank you..." the Captain exclaimed confusedly as the servant handed his load off to him, but then he began to scrawl again rapidly at it.

"As you can see - ahem! - the faction of Eslandola receives its finances from,

1. Half of all ship licences,
  2. Half of almost all property licences (those built in MCTC settlements excepted - but then, the MCTC instead pays the faction a monthly dividend)
  3. And a 20% tax on all of its member's income from properties and the MRCA.
  4. ...Plus a very little revenue coming from its forts.

"Eslandola as a faction does not own any other properties or any trade ships - and what's more, it shouldn't as long as we believe in free trade without government involvement or interference unlike those bluecoats and others!" and he brought down his hook on the chalkboard with incredible violence, shattering the board to pieces all over the floor.  Again George of Pontelli clicked for another board, though, and as he retired the servant attempted to remove the broken pieces of the previous one as inconspicuously as possible... which, since he was right in Captain Whiffo's way, wasn't all that inconspicuous at all, really...

"And, here you can see what the faction expenses are:

1. Escorts and warships for the protection of its merchants and the propagation of the war with Mardier,
  2. Fortresses for the protection of its settlements and occasionally troops for the same purpose (though unless I misbelieve, no paid troops have been raise thus far),
  3. And the timely payment of all prices on the heads of pirates and Mardierian... pirates - and, um, er, pirates sailing under letters from those Mardierian pirates.
  4. Oh!  And whatever outstanding offers there are for ships built for the crown (also addressed under number 1) and forts built for the crown - ahem! - Council (also covered under number 2), and any other build incentives out there - except, you know, I don't believe that there are any.

"Anyways! - The current state of the Royal/Council treasury contains precisely 13,506 Doubloons (way more than my personal treasury, by the way) and Eslandola has some 24,855 FIPs... but yes, that is besides the point...

"The faction of Eslandola currently seems to be gaining about 1,500+ DBs a month, and it spends about half of that on ship licences, so the monthly income is somewhere around 700 DBs not including MRCA income, which would likely up it considerably."

Captain Whiffo tossed the second chalkboard over his head and looked around.  

"Well, as you know from the constitution, this Council is authorized to raise troops, licence ships for the navy, and pay for fortresses, among other things, and although all these things require DBs, of course, as our treasury currently stands there is no likelyhood of that getting in the way of the performance of these duties, as well as most other monetary dispensations within reason.

"However! - it must be remembered that Eslandola is a nation of free traders and capitalistic merchants, and that it is they who have made Eslandola great, and not the other way about!  It is the people, not the government or the treasury, which are the driving force of the nation, and while monetary incentives to some degree may help, and sometimes may be singularly appropriate (for example, when buying a ship for the faction from the builder), we must remember that throwing doubloons at a body (even if we are Eslandolans) will not necessarily make it more productive, better, or give it more time!  Unfortunately... 

"In short, the primary duty of this Council and of the faction of Eslandola is the defense of its members and of free trade, and that ought always to be number one both in the treasury department and everywhere else!  Whether these particular ideas in question will promote these and benefit the members and nation of Eslandola in a significant way, however, is what you all are here to decide upon and show by your votes.

"And now, I really must be getting back to my ship, sirs, despite the pleasure it is to be here addressing your worthy selves.  And thus, if you'll excuse me," exclaimed the Captain, as he leapt back off the podium, "I will wish you all wise decisions and show myself out."

And with that he strode quickly down and out the large door, and popping his head back in to exclaim, "And if any more information or suchlike is what you need, just helloa!  I'll be somewhere between here and Nova Terelli!"

Fontonajo rose from his chair: "Thanks, Captain Whiffo. That was a great depiction of our financial situation."

After a brief pause he continued: "While discussion is always healthy to all decisions, it should be made in time, when the proposal is made, not when the decision is already in process. But I guess we have all learned from this for the future...", he said, looking in Guilder's direction.

"As we have just heard, our finances are miraculous! I will add some more specific numbers regarding my last suggestion. We have just heard that we have monthly expenses of around 750 Dubloons. Our steady income from running land-based business is around 1.000 Dubloons. Even without any licsensing, any trading ships successfully making their way, or anything else... we are still profitable by 250 Dubloons. And have a huge treasury.

Now let's talk about my numbers. Let's take factories as an example, as well as commercial properties. Also let us assume we are not talking about MCTC settlements. For small factories Eslandola earns 12,5 Dubloons from the builder, and would be 15 Dubloons, so a net "loss" of 2,5 DBs for the national treasury. For medium factory it would be 5 DBs, for large it would be 12,5 DBs. For a royal factory Eslandola would still earn 1.000 Dubloons, though. As commercial properties cost 20% less, Eslandola only earns 10 Dubloons for a small, 20 for a medium, and 30 for a large, resulting in net losses for the national treasury of 5, 10 and 20 Dubloons. Regarding mines the funding of prospecting would result in 2,5 DBs net loss, however as most mines cost 75 DBs to setup, the funding of their setup would mostly still result in a net gain for Eslandola.

If we assume that 20 small, 10 medium and 10 large properties (I don't think we have ever been this active) will be licensed by Eslandolans within a month, and half of those will be commercial, this would result in 313 Dubloons net loss for the national treasury (25 + 50 + 25 + 50 + 62,5 + 100).

However in the month after our citizens would earn 385 DBs more per month (50 + 60 + 50 + 60 + 75 + 90), 20% of which would go to our national treasury, which is 77 - so within four months the national investment would have paid off already."

Fontonajo made a pause, while some servants entered the hall and handed out some sheets to the Council members.

"As you can see I had the numbers ready - my proposals don't come of thin air but are well thought-out. Please keep that in mind. Always. And as you can easily see, this initiative is far from being a large threat to our national treasury!"

Farrucio Paraja

While I am not against funding the growth of our settlements by giving those living here a partial refund, I would consider only funding the build of those buildings that actually produce some taxes long term; I would even exclude residences completely from this offer. If a settlement really needs a few residences the funds the settlement has available should be enough considering the low cost of building those. And if someone really feels the need of building himself a palace (or better say, tells others to build one), the cost for that should be his very own cost for him.

The shipyards are currently quite occupied with cleaning up the mess the construction of the last 6 vessels left behind, so work is currently slowed down significantly. No promises can be made when to expect the next few ships.

Jerome Monezterrell

I'm sorry for replying this late to the message, I've been quite busy over the past few days. I'm glad shipbuilding will finally be rewarded better, but I'm not sure if there is a need for funding vessels of the very smallest size. I also expect that we'll have to update this list soon as the time of bigger ships might be starting very very soon, but that shouldn't change anything with the current offers which seem appropriate at this point. 

4 hours ago, Elostirion said:

"While discussion is always healthy to all decisions, it should be made in time, when the proposal is made, not when the decision is already in process. But I guess we have all learned from this for the future...", he said, looking in Guilder's direction.

"And, of course, you are correct. The vote has been called for and must continue."

3 hours ago, Legostone said:

While I am not against funding the growth of our settlements by giving those living here a partial refund, I would consider only funding the build of those buildings that actually produce some taxes long term; I would even exclude residences completely from this offer. If a settlement really needs a few residences the funds the settlement has available should be enough considering the low cost of building those. And if someone really feels the need of building himself a palace (or better say, tells others to build one), the cost for that should be his very own cost for him.

"Farrucio Paraja states my concerns against the proposal for subsidizing land properties quite well. So I intend to vote against the current proposal, although I will do so with the intention of revisiting the issue, albeit with a more focused proposal.

As for the proposal to fund shipbuilding, although I believe it, too, could be better focused, I will vote for it so as not to discourage any shipbuilders from strengthening our navy."

Raphael Fontonajo, Román's uncle, took the word for the first time since the council had started: "Senor Paraja, your words state a real concern, with which I can only agree. While I don't think it would neccessarily harm our nation to fund pay for residences as well, it still is not the right way. And while I agree with Román, that this council needs to stay agile and make quick decisions, it is also our duty to make our enactments solid and accurate. Which this proposal, unfortunately, is not. I will vote against 1-B. However I am not yet sure whether I think 1-C is a good enactment or not."

"But great-uncle", Joaquin Seramon Fontonajo, Román's son, bursted out, "don't you remember my voyage with the canoe, where we found that incredible old pirate treasure? We sold the treasure for 445 Dubloons. and of course we sent 89 Dubloons as taxes to the crown back then. We could almost finance nine ships of class 0 from that one voyage with father's proposal. So really no argument stands strong against strengthening our navy, be it with the smallest canoes or with another Queen Margot!"

Román Fontonajo added something totally different: "While we should definitely wait before we announce publicly, I think it is safe that within this hall we can already congratulate Jerome Monezterell for his new title as well as ourselves for having our first successful voting. 12 votes for you, none against, with only 9 votes not cast yet - you cnanot not win."

Edited by Elostirion

[ooc: Only 19,5 hours left for voting]

After the Councilmembers had paused for the night, taken some drinks, had some talking etc., Román Fontonajo opened the next session: "My fellow Councilmen, I want to remind you that the voting is still in progress. Please don't forget to cast your votes."

"Regarding my personal choice", he continued, "while you could convince me that we might want to exclude residences from the suggestion about land based properties (vote 1-B) - or at least change the amount of fundings you can earn - I think this argument is by far not strong enough to make me vote against the proposal. I am, however, open to support an appropriate amendment in the future.

Also I understand that the ship-proposal might need an amendment on small classes. However what I totally cannot understand is how you can argue that both proposals need an amendment, but for one of them you vote YES, and for the other you vote NO, while the same argument still holds true for both? While you may not agree with my choices, at least I am consistent with them. The same applies to the other representatives of the Sea of Thieves region, as both assured me earlier on.

Also I just sent a messenger to the representatives of ETWC, who seem to be the only ones who haven't caste their votes yet?"

Monkey business, again?

Edited by Elostirion

"I do not see why we should not sponsor smaller ship types as well?" Colonel Oystridge asked. "Each of our fleets gets more expensive to administer as they grow in number. Smaller ships have proven to earn their cost back, like the young Joaquin Seramon pointed out. We spread risk, and get to train able seamen, so that when we roll out the big ones, we have numerous experienced crew to hire from. From my point of view it is better to utilize all available ports. More sailors, means more customers, hence a bigger market for our merchants. I'd say, let proposal 1C stand as it is, should it pass. I urge the council to be careful not to create a market, using incentives, that only caters to the richest among us. We should strive towards a nation that lay out good conditions for everyone. Great ideas comes from all places, and those in need are perhaps more creative than any of us, even if it is out of desperation. We have the means to cater to those starving for success."

"In my youth I got help when I most needed it, and I know that although loyalty can't be bought, gratitude are a good foundation to build on. In regard to proposal 1B, I think a new model, where the city banks fund most of the cost would be a better solution. As the cities grow they get more and more to spend on preparing building materials for those that wish to settle. I sure would like to see Eslandolans and foreigners, except Marderians of course, thrive in our settlements. Making ourselves attractive, means we should have something to offer. Safe ports are part of Fontonajos plan, and I agree the most important building focus. But after that, we need entertainment, great food, music, laughter and memories to last a lifetime, and souvenirs that visitors can bring back to Oleon, Corrington, and the rest of the continent. Let our nations heritage and culture be known throughout the world."

"Excuse, me I get carried away when talking about our beloved country, and all the possibilities ahead of us. I have but one more thing to point out. The bigger Eslandola coffers could be used to fund ships and recurring costs, such as upkeep for soldiers."

"Colonel Oystridge", Román Fontonajo started, "you bring up some very important points. And if the recent report of attacks of Mardierian raiders on our beloved towns - I am glad they didn't come here, or else many brave Councilmen might have died defending our country - if those recent attacks have given us a lesson, then this lesson is that we need to look after our fortifications! Even more so!

Sure, as Willem Guilder pointed out, we shouldn't haste into decisions, but we need to at least sum up the status quo. So who is willing to support us in this committee? Even if you know someone from outside this Council and can invite him or her to our glorious halls - I would warmly welcome all help!"

He made a pause, when a scroll was brought: "Ahhhh. All votes have been cast and counted. I just got the results. We have agreed on all thre proposals, so not only does Monezterell have a new position - which I feel we might need more than ever before - but we also have decided to sponsor both new ships and new land based properties.

I have heard many concerns and calls for amendments. Feel free to discuss those amendments, and bring them to a vote after some directed discussion - everyone!"

Maximilian Damaximus

"Great news the 3 bills have passed! I follow the reasoning that residences should be excluded for fundings as those can easily be paid by the settlements itself. A royal palace is more an object of status than a moneymaker, so I follow the reasoning that the one who wants to have a palace, he should pay for it himself.

I am not supporting the logic of excluding smaller classes however. We should give everyone the chance to buy a vessel, no matter the size. If a local farmboy has spared enough to buy a raft, we should stimulate him! For most of us it is easy to focus on the bigger things in life, as we our coffers are loaded with doubloons. So let us not forget to keep investing in those who are not yet in our position."

The door opens and General Samu entered together with Sir Ethiximus. They quickly changed words with Maximilian Damaximus. Maximilian Damaximus nodded and a servant left the room.

General Samu:

"As I adressed when voting, Eslandola should focus more on troops and fortresses. In response of the raids of those bloody Mardierians, the town of Trador has raised a Company for its defence. In addition MAESTRO has raised the first private Regiment in the New World! Those will be used to defend Trador, Elysabethtown and Fuerte Unido and the MAESTRO vessels. Ofcourse, when an interesting opportunity presents itself, we can use this regiment for other stuff as well... Bloody Mardierians... The regiment will leave Stedor soon and sail towards the New World.

As it would be hypocrite to call for forts and troops without helping, I am volunteering for the Committee of Defence blablabla"

OOC: I didn't expect such an uproar for not wanting to put more DB into class 0 vessels - they only cost 5 DB after FB DB.

Edited by Legostone