Red October

Basic question regarding Lego track

Appreciate any assistance, please.

I am planning a Lego-based layout to build with my girlfriend and her two youngsters. The size will be 16 x 8.

I have decided to incorporate a Lego train run and ask for some basic information.

I have built a Lionel train layout (took me eight years) and think in terms of the Lionel system of track radius in planning the track run. Lionel track (tubular) is 031, 042, 054, 063 and 072. These being diameters. Do Lego curves have a set diameter or radius? Also, what  is the length in inches of a straight?

I will not be placing the track on Lego bases, but rather on a foam surface and building Lego structure to compliment. I will blend the Lego structures back into a realistic scenery setting.

Any advice appreciated. 

I can only answer that the train track is 13.5cm or about 5 3/8 inches long. There is only one curve radius, but there are also flexible track that I guess can do things too. (But no one seems to like / use them.)

The radius of the curves is 40 studs.  One stud equals 8mm which works out to 320mm or about 12.6 inches.  The diameter would be about 25.2 inches (yes, it is quite tight!).  If you want larger radius curves you will not find them from LEGO.  ME-Models, a small independant specialty company, has recently started making larger radius curves:

R56      448mm     17.64 inches     35.28 inches diameter

R72      576mm     22.68 inches     45.35 inches diameter

R88      704mm     27.72 inches     55.43 inches diameter

R104    832mm     32.75 inches     65.51 inches diameter

If interested, check out their web site me-models.com

The straight tracks are 16 studs long x 8mm/stud = 128mm or 5.04 inches

ME-Models also sell straight tracks as well as half length (8 studs) and double length (32 studs) straight tracks.

Dan-147

Edited by Dan-147
added info

Thank you. This information is very helpful. I am a contributing writer to Classic Toy Trains and have worked with Lionel type layouts, but the Lego stuff is all new. Looking forward to this project.

Glad it could help.  A write-up about LEGO trains for Classic Toy Trains would be really cool, by the way.  If you decide to write something and need any help, I would be willing to help.  I'm sure that there might be other members that might like to also help.

Dan-147

Edited by Dan-147

Might I also suggest a glance at the new Brick Model Railroader site http://www.brickmodelrailroader.com/

You will also find many articles here and there about the "scale" of LEGO and the many facets. I have found that many L-Gauge builders use 1 Stud=15" which works out to be around 1:48 scale so the size an proportions will be similar to the O-Gauge trains you are used to seeing.

Happy bricking! :grin:

I have contemplated doing more traditional model railroad style scenery with LEGO being used for track, trains, buildings, vehicles, and non organic details like power poles.  I had seen pictures on brickshelf.com of someone I think in Germany who did something similar.  It intrigued me in part because I think it might be a much more cost effective way to do scenery and save the LEGO for or I portant building.  If I am understanding you right, and this is similar to what you are planning, I would be very interested to se in progress and finished pictures.  

Sal

WFB, WI

28 minutes ago, legoboy3998 said:

I have contemplated doing more traditional model railroad style scenery with LEGO being used for track, trains, buildings, vehicles, and non organic details like power poles.

Pretty much the idea.

Here's a few other photos:

l_93037384.jpg

l_41945391.jpg

18 hours ago, legoboy3998 said:

I have contemplated doing more traditional model railroad style scenery with LEGO being used for track, trains, buildings, vehicles, and non organic details like power poles.  I had seen pictures on brickshelf.com of someone I think in Germany who did something similar.  It intrigued me in part because I think it might be a much more cost effective way to do scenery and save the LEGO for or I portant building.  If I am understanding you right, and this is similar to what you are planning, I would be very interested to se in progress and finished pictures.  

Sal

WFB, WI

I think that is Patje's layout.  http://www.eurobricks.com/forum/index.php?/forums/topic/6422-layout-train-layout-of-patrick

Your attention to detail with your Lionel layout is stunning! Cant wait to see what you will do with Lego!

These models of your´s are looking totally stunning ! :wub:
I used to make some landscapes for Warhammer fantasy battle back in the 90´s, and know that It´s no easy task to pull these levels of detail´s into it.

Just as ecmo47 said, I also can´t wait to see what you´re able to pull of using LEGO.