jamesster

LEGO Quest & Collect (Mobile RPG)

So... This is a thing. It was originally announced in January 2015 and it looks like it's nearing launch sometime this year going by the Google Play description (was originally scheduled for 2016). The first press release in 2015 said it'd initially launch in Asia and possibly be rolled out to other markets (at least, that's the implication I got from the wording...), and it looks like a beta test happened in December 2016 for some Asian markets (not sure where specifically beyond that, sorry).

https://questandcollect.nexon.com/

Footage from the beta test:

Interestingly, it seems to use stuff besides themes LEGO currently has on the market - there's King Kahuka from classic pirates, Gilbert the Bad from Knights Kingdom 1, Vladek from Knights Kingdom 2, etc. (About 10:55 into that video.) I also heard somebody say they saw Ice Planet 2002 in a video somewhere though I haven't noticed that myself. There's also some stuff from Power Miners, 2007 Castle, and I think I saw a Mars Mission astronaut...

There's a gallery of images here. It has some curious character designs:

urKFNB9.png

Oh, and it runs on Unreal Engine 4...?

q7JVrCu.png

(Those pics aren't the full resolutions BTW, I uploaded lower res versions to imgur for embedding; you can see the full resolutions in the gallery linked to earlier)

Edited by jamesster

*HEAVY BREATHING*

And it's running on U4 as well.

I simply must have this game.

Still won't be the same as Lego Universe therefore i'm uninterested.

OK I don't totally feel like that but I'm still very upset LEGO is trying to do these tiny RPG projects that never last when if they just make a spiritual successor to LU they could do so much better.

On 1/3/2017 at 1:48 PM, LEGODalekbuster523 said:

Off topic, but you should consider getting some Ninjago and Chima characters. You're missing out on several gold bricks per world (that is, if you're trying to get the gold bricks in the hub worlds).

Edited by gamejutzu

Seeing how this was posted in January, I might be a bit late to this discussion... 

Anyway, @jamesster thanks for uploading those videos! That intro scene is indeed very reminiscent of LU. Love the character designs for Scarlet and Mad Creator, I wish they would somehow show up in the CMF line.

On 8-1-2017 at 5:03 AM, gamejutzu said:

OK I don't totally feel like that but I'm still very upset LEGO is trying to do these tiny RPG projects that never last when if they just make a spiritual successor to LU they could do so much better.

I wonder how big the investments are for these games like the Minifigures MMO and Quest & Collect, Chima Online, Nexo Knights app and Ninjago app. They follow kind of a similar aesthetic, so maybe they have a template that can be easily modified to make new games, thus making it relatively cheap? Do they keep releasing these RPG games to gauge interest in the genre? 

What is itching is the fact that they actually feature numerous characters of old LEGO themes, as well as design new original characters, but never LU cameos! 

Can't say i'm surprised, I reallllly hope they start to make an open, fully 3D RPG that has the Lego Universe vibes, soon. Even make it on console if you want, I don't know. And it's been a while since we got a purely original Lego game (like Lego Island for example) (I just remembered Lego Worlds just forget about that one atm)

If LEGO doesn't like LU for some reason, it can even have a totally different aesthetic. But just give us something like that again. Is this a trump card for LEGO? Are they just keeping it with them until the time demands it?

Edited by gamejutzu

6 hours ago, gamejutzu said:

Can't say i'm surprised, I reallllly hope they start to make an open, fully 3D RPG that has the Lego Universe vibes, soon. Even make it on console if you want, I don't know. And it's been a while since we got a purely original Lego game (like Lego Island for example)

If LEGO doesn't like LU for some reason, it can even have a totally different aesthetic. But just give us something like that again. Is this a trump card for LEGO? Are they just keeping it with them until the time demands it?

The way I see it, LEGO fully believes that LU was unsuccessful as a whole, but in reality it was due to the insane pricing for the membership program. Due to this very Nintendo-like idea/excuse, I'm pretty sure that something like LU would not be considered a trump card in their book (but it damn should!).

11 hours ago, gamejutzu said:

Can't say i'm surprised, I reallllly hope they start to make an open, fully 3D RPG that has the Lego Universe vibes, soon. Even make it on console if you want, I don't know. And it's been a while since we got a purely original Lego game (like Lego Island for example)

LEGO Worlds super-expansion pack, how about that! 

It's really sad that this game is shutting down. I think today is the last day to play it. I was able to collect around 70-ish characters. But levelling them up is hard. You either have to level grind or be very lucky with getting random soul bricks. Some characters were inherently... better than others. But I think overall, it had very balanced gameplay mechanics. You couldn't just keep level-grinding a certain set of characters until they were disproportionately more powerful than the stage enemies. The variety of enemies and stat factors forces the player to frequently change up the roster to better suit the stage. I always found that the ideal team was (1) the Hero recommended for that stage, (2) one powerful fighter, and (3) one healer to keep the team's HP up. 

It's a shame to see this game go but I perfectly understand that it takes up a lot of resources to sustain. (It even had voice acting for the Heroes.) It was fun while it lasted. 

Edited by Ghost Onyx
additional comment and typos