Pumbledor

How do you plan a build?

Hi all, 

After looking through a load of people's MOCs recently I've been wondering how do people go about planning a build? 

Does anyone have a workflow where they do a sketch or make a concept model? Maybe block something out then pad it? 

I'm curious to find out what techniques people use for their huge builds. Recently I've done a little work in Digital Designer as I currently lack the parts to do a big build in real life but before I do attempt a large one I'd like to know how other people plan and co-ordinate their builds. 

Thanks! 

Digital designer is useful.  I have a lot of grey parts that can be used to "practice" a build and test things like structural integrity before trying to use the colors I really need.  This seems preferred, because LDD does not necessarily indicate how well a model will hold together.  

I plan the entire MOC in LDD, then get the parts needed. Obviously this requires a lot of attention not to use a part in a nonexisting or extremely rare colour, so usually I have a browser with BrickLink open to check up if necessary.

I also sometimes build small prototypes (in whatever colors are on hand) to make sure snotty stuff works out, or to check for structural integrity. For example, my next modular will involve a very unique building technique for the facade. Since I wasn't sure it would even work at all, I built roughly half of the front of one floor. It all worked out, and the hands on model even gave me some ideas to both simplify the build and make it even stronger :classic:

I use Lego Digital Designer to document what I made before I dismantle it. That way I can have a PDF of the instructions to rebuild it.

I recently bought a couple of Mixels polybags for ball joints, but am having trouble getting past the crude mecha frame stage. I probably just don't have the necessary slopes, etc. from the nice Gundams I've seen online. My local Lego Store's Pick-A-Brick Wall isn't cooperating either and refuses to make new parts available for months.

I find it easier to make something with the actual pieces rather than virtual via LDD.

I get inspired from looking at many photo's, or visit the real object I want to build. For some models I make a sketch and measure out the large proportions. But most of the time I Just start building and let the model "grow". Meaning I tear down parts all the time to get everything correct and integrate even the smallest of detail. I stay away from digital building, I like to get my hands "dirty":laugh:

Thanks for the replies guys.

It looks like I'm on the right path with LDD then. I was going to buy some job lots of Lego and build from there but I think my safest bet after all would be to order the parts. Luckily a lot of stores can ship to the UK.

I've got a Pinterest account set up at the moment which is beyond useful for references. https://uk.pinterest.com/leesomething/lego/

Hello

I often use LDD to calculate the bricks I need but I also try to build prototypes with real bricks. Since I mostly build trains (more ore less) to scale, I also use blueprints and photos to recreate shapes. Especially with hinges I like to build with real bricks to achieve angels and shapes which LDD won't let me do.

I was surprised LDD lets you use the hinge rotate button to turn a 1x1 plate 45 degrees while it's connected to another piece. I saw a Gundam head instructions require that unconventional positioning.

I image what I want to do in my head and build.  I don't bother with LDD unless there is a need like an entry for a LDD contest.   For me the time spent in LDD could be better used to make more MOCs for my LUG public events. They always seem to need more new MOCs to keep things fresh. 

The only planning I do is the general idea of the scene/build in my head, then I let my creativity flow.

When I have an idea of a build I want to do I generally do a quick sketch and some notes on what I'd like to incorporate, in case I get sidetracked in the process. Then I start gathering reference pics and blueprints if possible, then work out the scaling. With those done it's pretty easy to sketch out a more detailed design and then try it in LDD. Once I start to build with bricks I can tidy up and strengthen the design when it inevitably crumbles in my hands.

I start with too many ideas in my head to ever build in the time I have available! :tongue:  Then I find reference pictures for different portions of the MOC if I do not have a precise picture in my mind for details.  I sometimes make a quick sketch of the build to determine relative layout.  The main step begins when I pull out my bricks and just start building, which does result in more changes and rebuilding but is more fun.  I really do not use LDD unless I want to try to verify a connection/technique concept before I invest in physical parts.

For me I visualize what I want to build.

"I want a red building that's like an office to the fire station or extra big plane"

Then conceptualize it

"I want to use the . . . door, is there a matching L R door set?  Does the door fit??  I was thinking of angular corners??  Look at how the unique bricks work.  I did my own 7755 train and while doing so changed the design so that I had tinted windows and wedges on the sides, rather than going from 6 wide to 4 wide.  The thing that I wasn't ready for is exposed studs, and shutters that cover the engine, being restricted by the wedges slightly.  The exposed studs were actually a blessing in disguise it gives the train a more detailed look as they almost look intended, industrial.  They would be most unwelcome on a plane.

Then, sometimes, the next trip is to Bricklink.  What kind of prices do these pieces command.  What sacrifices can I make to incorporate a part for a look.  What's most important.  Style or function.  Free-play with an idea in mind.  While doing free-play, you might discover something for another build.

Like a couple of other people replying here: No LDD for me. I love the hands-on-approach Lego offers and don't want to miss that. I do some digital 3D design stuff as well, but not related to Lego. There is an exchange of ideas though, but thats it. Lego is my free-chaotic-try-and-error-space! :classic:

Mostly I've had a relatively small collection of pieces compared to many people here. And my collection was mostly older pieces. For my recent beholder I prototyped with the pieces I had and built a digital model. With that I can play around with colors. Rebrickable is used to verify pieces exist and order the missing pieces. My largest build has been my M:Tron Enterprise but it still isn't that big. It was designed in phases. I played around with a saucer section and then a nacelle.

I wish I could build with leocad more but I'm not comfortable with what goes together well. I often fall back to testing with physical bricks. My carrion crawler I designed solely in leocad. When I tried to put it together my design for the head didn't work because some pieces were bigger than I thought. LDD wouldn't have that problem but I don't have Windows and prefer open source software.