Sign in to follow this  
Brandon Stark

[Brandon Stark: Part 1, Chapter 2] In the Study in Albion

Part 1, Chapter 1

31638908920_14c78a29d4.jpgStudy by Brandon Stark, on Flickr

Brandon and Corlys opened the door and entered a meeting room in the Great Keep of Avalonia. This wasn't the one the Council used, but rather each member of the council had their own meeting room. The two continued walked further, entering Brandon's study. Brandon hadn't been here in weeks, and as expected, piles of letters were sitting on his desk. Two letters on the table caught his eye. They were bearing the seal of Drond's Fields, and Shadowmere, respectively. They must be the responses, Brandon thought. Brandon sat down in his chair. He gestured for his brother to sit in another chair facing his.

"So, Brandon, I trust your journey was pleasant? I have found much news from my travels to the capital. These are turbulent times, brother. I ran into some bandits on my way to the capital. Also some mummies and Drow. Didn't think they'd venture so far from their territory. I may have also seen that Nestlands girl that kissed you. Pity I wasn't able to talk to her. But I'm sure that's the one though. Armored girls aren't very common around here."

"Surely you've found better news than that Nestlands girl. Though mummies and Drow venturing far from their territories is rather frightening. If the rumors are true; if my spies are right about Raavage allying with Drow and Algus, I fear nothing can stop him. Not with that Necromancer's Helm he could use to raise vast armies of undead." 

"Yes, the news is rather frightening, but there is hope, Brandon. The Necromancer's Helm might not even exist. And, the heir to Cedrica has been found..."

"What? Corlys, I never knew you would succumb to rumors like that. The heir to Cedrica has been the subject of talk in half the taverns in Petraea. I'm not sure if there is hope. Mitgardia is spent, and will not be able to resist the Algus. Kaliphlin is divided, meaning the Desert King cannot make good on his promise to help Free Nocturnus. And even Avalonia; we were once one of the most powerful and prosperous, yet now the capital is shadow of its former glory and flooding with refugees." 

"It is true. I am sure of it. The resurrected Sir Trian Burress, Lord Dugal MacLean, and others are meeting in the Beggar's Inn south of the capital as we speak. If the rumors are false, why would they meet? There must be some reason. Brandon, please, for your family and those you hold dear, do not give up, for there is hope. For now, I must return to Drond's Fields. Goodbye, Brandon."

"Thank you Corlys. Goodbye to you too."

Now alone, Brandon pondered for a moment. Resurrected Sir Trian? He hadn't been seen for years. Brandon began opening the letters, hoping there was good news within. He began with the one he received from Lord Vladivus. 

"Greetings, Brandon,

It gladdens me to know Historica has not forgotten it's shared plight. Ravaage is a threat to us all. Free Nocturnus is doing it's best to hold the Spire's rot at bay, but even Shadowmere's cannot hold out indefinitely. Allies are always welcome, and my mother spoke highly of your family.

Make haste Brandon, there is little time to waste.

Vladivus, Lord of Shadowmere and Free Nocturnus"

After reading the letter, Brandon opened the one from Drond's Feelds. 

"Dear Lord Stark,

We truly appreciate the fact that you will join our armies in the fight against the Black Spire. My husband, lord Alric, is already there with the best of our household guard. Though I wished I could give you more men, every man not in the Darklands already is needed here, to fend off the increasing Drow threat. My apologies. I propose you meet up with your liege lord once you are there, as to develop a shared strategy.

Yours sincerely,

Lady Elysabeth

In name of her husband Lord Alric of the House Drondil, Lord of Drond's Feelds"

Brandon closed both letters with satisfaction and relief. Both would be allies with him. He then opened the other letters and read them. They were mostly reports and updates from his agents across Historica. Many talked about the heir to Cedrica and the upcoming war. Others were of little importance; dealing with his incomes, among other things. 

Getting up, Brandon walked over to a chest, then began preparing for the journey. He pulled out his dragonsteel sword, then began placing a few other items inside. After a few minutes, Brandon walked out of his room. It would be long before he would return, and he wasn't sure if he would at all. 

As he walked out of his study, he spotted a servant in the hallway. Brandon pointed to the chest in his study. "Can you get this down to the Albion docks by this afternoon?"

Edited by Brandon Stark

Nice build! You're furniture is very cool, especially nice NPU on the window/chair! :thumbup:

Also a great story, one's wondering what's in that chest :wink:

On 12/31/2016 at 4:13 PM, TitusV said:

Nice build! You're furniture is very cool, especially nice NPU on the window/chair! :thumbup:

Also a great story, one's wondering what's in that chest :wink:

Thank you! The contents of the chest might be revealed in another build. :wink:

Another neat interior that matches the style of your first nicely :thumbup: A few printed or dark brown tiles in the floor might add to the plank look :classic:

On 1/2/2017 at 3:17 AM, Lord Vladivus said:

Nice build!

Vladivus is glad that his message was received!

Thanks!

On 1/5/2017 at 7:42 AM, soccerkid6 said:

Another neat interior that matches the style of your first nicely :thumbup: A few printed or dark brown tiles in the floor might add to the plank look :classic:

Thank you! 

Excellent little vignette, Brandon! The flag and torch break up the wall nicely, and I like the various furniture designs. :thumbup: