Hello dear EB members,
it really has been too long since I posted anything from my hands, but that only means I am lazy posting - not building. There are several creations I would like to publish ASAP, so here is the first one: The Dark Side of the Force never rests, so must not Lord Vader himself. Although he is strong with the Force, he is pretty tired after full 6 days of pedalling on two of our LUG's events in October and start of December. I give you The Dark Side Of Exercise.

640x930.jpg

640x889.jpg

640x960.jpg

640x960.jpg

I got the idea a long time ago and got extra inspired by Jason Alleman a.k.a. JK Brickworks and his moving masterpieces - especially the Sizifus. After thinking about it for too long, I finally bought the 75111 Darth Vader set, which had to be modified quite a lot on the inside - outside remains the same. All the skeleton with bionicle ball joint parts was replaced by technic axles and u-joints in order to get a freely movable body. A free rotation of hips, shoulders and waist was also necessary. Free movement of ankles anf wrists is provided with bar pieces (I admit I cut 4L bars into 2L bars - I never thought I was capable of such horid acts :cry_sad:)

640x876.jpg

640x960.jpg

640x427.jpg

640x960.jpg

Pedalling torture device was a bit more of a challenge. The main problem was getting all the necessary motion from rather spacious pedestal to a slim orbitrek body. I am pretty happy with the outcome, even though the gearing in the pedestal is a mess. The main goal was to get the body in its highest position twice in one revolution of the pedals. The gear ratio between those two is therefore 2:1 and they have to be synchronised so that the body is at its highest when the pedals are horizontal. The rest of the body motion is provided by linkages amongst freely movable parts of the body and the orbitrek.

Another part run by the same motor is the big wheel, which is propelled by a small wheel inside the orbitrek body. This wheel is geared up a lot, so it turns fast enough. Running this MX bike wheel by contact proved to be most demanding for the whole system and caused most friction and wear of the parts and motor. A LEGO chain is not the best way to drive anything for a long time as  well. You must guess it was a lot of fun to repair after it broke a couple of times during the exhibition.

640x796.jpg

640x636.jpg

640x960.jpg

640x441.jpg

To conclude this presentation I give you another photo in Ludicrous Speed mode and of course a short video of swinging this man's booty from side to side :tongue:

640x910.jpg

Thank you for your attention and "May the Force be  wih you!!!"
Best regards and a Happy New Year,

Miha

You can check out bigger photos here:
http://bricksafe.com/pages/MajklSpajkl/the-dark-side-of-exercise

Edited by MajklSpajkl
photo resizing

This gotta be one of the most comical version of the Vader! His movements are so fluid and life-like, and I just keep smiling by looking at him :) Choice of the music is perfect. I would just add some pink rubber belts around his helmet, above the eyes to act as a sweat head band! :)

Oh, and could you please resize your pics a bit (to 768 x 1,024 max)?

This is great! It even inspired me to make a resolution for the new year: watch more videos of Star Wars characters exercising. 

Hilarious, yet technically interesting, not to mention the very matchig build scheme. :laugh: :thumbup:

Majestic farewell from the year 2016, thank You! :classic:

:roflmao: Fantastic MOC! It looks realistic and the idea is unique. 

May the Schwartz be with you!

Edited by LXF

Ha ha, hilarious! Impressive technical implementation. Body moves very realistically. Love your eye for detail/perfection such as the transparent bricks to connect Darth Vader.  Have to watch this again! :laugh:

super funny! choice of music is brilliant, vader's heavy breathing gets completely different context. :laugh:

also technically brilliant. 

Thank you all for nice comment, I'm glad I made you smile :grin:, your kind words make me smile too.

@Milan I apologize for too big photos. I thought the size constraint only applied to width of the photos. :blush: As I said, it's been a while... Btw., is there any way for giving a heads-up to the guys at SW forum, as this one is their cup of tea as well? I guess double posting isn't ok. Is it possible to post a shortcut of some kind to this topic in other forums?

@LXF Heh, the Schwartz :laugh_hard: It really took me a long time to take SW saga seriously as Spaceballs was the first one I saw. LUDICROUS!!! :iamded_lol:

Edited by MajklSpajkl

Clever.  :thumbup:  Darth Vader doesn't need exercise, he has a rejuvenation tank to take of that kind of New Year's Resolution.   :laugh:

Double posting is frown upon on Eurobricks.  You could try to post a good new photo to the Star Wars photography thread and have a link to this thread for those who want to see more details. 

You still need to keep fit, even if you are from a long time ago in a galaxy far, far away ...

An awful lot of work must have gone into getting everything working smoothly with such little room available. The exercise machine in particular is packed.

However, I am quite worried about the influence Vader already has on you @MajklSpajkl - I doubt you would ever dream of cutting pieces if you were building a Jedi exercise machine :vader:

@dr_spockThanks for the sugestion on Star Wars photography thread. Will do that :grin:

@Jay PsiI am way gone to the Dark Side - but Vader is not the root of all evil - GBC modules are! There you face a true bricks devastation - especially after running these faul creatures for four long days without any lubrication! :devil_laugh:

I looked at this masterpiece on a exibition for more then half an ouhr. And i khnow it in the first second who has made this creation . 

This can be only the masterbuilder MajklSpajkl.

Respect to this creation and you.

Best regards. Valter

I think of Vader's iconic labored breathing, and then think of how bad it is as he is sweating away on this great build of yours.   Makes me laugh.   Great post.... thanks for sharing.....

Awesome build! I love to see these types of creations that are out of the box.

This's great MOC! I like it so much! It made so technologically, beautiful and most importantly - it brings joy! :thumbup: