peedeejay

[MOC] Modular Oldtown Shops (Book, Electronic, Hardware Store and Pawn Shop)

Hi everyone,

I would like to present my 7th modular building (or 8 to 11 depending on how you want to count them ;-)): A quad-pack of 16-wide modulars representing four different shops within an oldtown. A book store, an electronic store, a hardware store and a pawn shop. Every store has a designated owner.

I always wanted to build a street with multiple 16-wide when I got the Pet Shop some years ago and kinda started with my Bakery and Fishmonger but then I got "distracted" with several 32-wide buildings. I wanted to start with another double pack but I still had ideas for the additional two already so I thought why not build four in a row. Moreover I kinda crossed 4 things of my "want to use for a modular" list: Build a modular with dark orange, olive green, sand green and use sand red (this one hurt a bit due to the cost though :-)).

Below is a selection of pictures. All of them can be found at: http://www.kawano.de/LEGO/

As always building instructions are up for sale in case you want to build them as well (or a single one)!

Statistics

• Time for digital design: around 90 hours
  • Time for the build: around 16 hours
  • Part count total: 11412
  • Bricklink orders: 36 (could have been less, but I did them in two sessions with two 16-wide each)

Oldtown_Shops_1_t.JPG

Oldtown_Shops_2_t.JPG

Book_Store_Electronic_Store_03_t.JPG

Book_Store_Electronic_Store_04_t.JPG

Hardware_Store_Pawn_Shop_03_t.JPG

Hardware_Store_Pawn_Shop_04_t.JPG

Book_Store_Electronic_Store_11_t.JPG

Book_Store_Electronic_Store_12_t.JPG

Hardware_Store_Pawn_Shop_13_t.JPG

Hardware_Store_Pawn_Shop_14_t.JPG

Book_Store_Electronic_Store_14_t.JPG

Book_Store_Electronic_Store_22_t.JPG

Book_Store_Electronic_Store_23_t.JPG

Hardware_Store_Pawn_Shop_15_t.JPG

Hardware_Store_Pawn_Shop_16_t.JPG

Hardware_Store_Pawn_Shop_25_t.JPG

Hardware_Store_Pawn_Shop_26_t.JPG

Edited by peedeejay

These look fantastic!  I really like how you've done the facade on Lee's and the contrasting Sand Green / Black on Tom's.  The interiors are perfectly detailed as well, especially the pawn shop and hardware store.

These ones I like a lot.

Funny colour on the roller, though.

Edited by STHLM

A great inspiration to keep designing new modulars!  Fantastic build, I can't wait to see more!

Thanks everyone!

On 31.12.2016 at 3:17 AM, gabrielerava said:

P.S. Does Jay's building have sand red bricks?

Yes, the pillars next to the windows are build with 1x2 sand red bricks.

On 31.12.2016 at 10:06 AM, Kristel said:

I really like how you've done the facade on Lee's

The pillars between the two windows were done the same way like at the Book Store (Bob's). I am using two intertwined parts which result in the outer white lines being both tiles with the upper side facing the window. This the case for the front (outside) and the back (inside) resulting a nice a smooth look. Using a single block for the pillar would result in at least one side showing the underside of a plate. The following pictures should give a good explanation. Maybe someone finds them helpful.

Book_Store_Pillar_HowTo_1.png

Book_Store_Pillar_HowTo_2.png

Book_Store_Pillar_HowTo_3.png

Book_Store_Pillar_HowTo_4.png

Book_Store_Pillar_HowTo_5.png

Absolutely amazing. Your modular buildings are top notch, easily some of the very best ever built and better than many of the official sets. I think I could keep looking at this for hours and continue to see fascinating new details and extensive use of unconventional building techniques. Very inspiring.

I have certainly never seen such a construction. It's just amazing! The details are fascinating and the beauty of the buildings is indisputable. Congratulations! :thumbup::thumbup:

On 4.1.2017 at 4:36 AM, koalayummies said:

Absolutely amazing. Your modular buildings are top notch, easily some of the very best ever built and better than many of the official sets. I think I could keep looking at this for hours and continue to see fascinating new details and extensive use of unconventional building techniques. Very inspiring.

Thank you for your kind words.

9 hours ago, BrickMark-I said:

I have certainly never seen such a construction. It's just amazing! The details are fascinating and the beauty of the buildings is indisputable. Congratulations! :thumbup::thumbup:

Thanks a lot!