Sign in to follow this  
Captain Genaro

[OL FB3] New Arrivals and Old Rivalries

Just a quick build to introduce Oleon's latest settlement, Lavalette. Comments and criticism are welcome.

New Arrivals and Old Rivalries

"And that is where we'll put the palisade, Monsieur Hollande," said the major as he pointed to the map. "How exciting, only twenty-three and already supervising our new settlement," replied Henri Hollande, his voice lacking even a trace of excitement. Pausing, the major stared at Henri as the young man furiously mopped his brow with a handkerchief. Clearly Henri came from some wealthy or well-connected family, the major thought, because no one in their right mind would let this young dandy supervise the cutting of a tree, much less the construction of the Jewel of New Terra. And jumping in terror at the first crab to cross his path certainly did not win Henri any favors with the men. Oh well, sighed the major, hopefully the RNTC would send along a competent lieutenant to take charge.

31104420884_67e2bd1e4f_z.jpgNew Beginnings by Capt. Genaro, on Flickr

After taking a sip of his wine, Henri interrupted the major's thoughts. "But what I still don't get is why you need to build this wall with all these curvy and bendy lines." Seeing where Henri was pointing, the major paused and turned his gaze to mildly intoxicated Henri. "That would be the river, as I've said numerous times. The initial fortifications will be here and here, just south of the town" stated the major. "Now, if you'll follow my finger, I can show you," but before the major could complete his thought, he was interrupted. "What is the meaning of this!" shouted the priest of Poseidon as he limped towards the two men. Using his trident to support his leg, the priest bawled "need I remind you that I represent the Order, with my authority coming from the Lord Chancellor himself who's authority is derived from the King who was appointed over us by Zeus, Poseidon, and Hades! How dare you start construction without consulting me, without even the obligatory sacred mass!" "Profit waits for no man" replied Henri, as stupid in diplomacy as in construction. "What!" roared the priest. Unintelligibly mumbling, Henri disappeared into his nearly empty glass of wine leaving the major to deal with the priest. "Now, father, we have the upmost respect for the Faith, and I can remember no act of disrespect towards you during the whole trip." "No act of disrespect," the priest began before the major interrupted. "No disrespect whatsoever, and I'm sorry that we had to start without you, but we simply cannot afford to keep the men cooped up while we wait for your leg to heal."

31135174713_b8e1a0f510_z.jpgNew Beginnings by Capt. Genaro, on Flickr

"Hmmph," grunted the priest, as fatigue from the heat began to take its toll on him. "Well, I'm glad you see things my way. Had it not been for that freak accident, I'm glad to hear you would have stuck with tradition." "Yes, yes" replied the major, "now allow me to help you to the boat and we'll be sure to hold a proper mass once you're up to it." Bracing himself on the major's arm, the priest muttered "most unlucky, who would have though a block would fall from such heights." "Most unlucky indeed," the major agreed, but for different reasons. Still, the major silently consoled himself, Tyche couldn't constantly be with the priest. And if the poison in the major's footlocker was as deadly as the natives claimed it to be, construction of Lavalette could continue without the Order interfering.

31796884352_c95d126ef1_z.jpgNew Beginnings by Capt. Genaro, on Flickr

Overview:

31571310470_54ebfd99c1_z.jpgNew Beginnings by Capt. Genaro, on Flickr

Two RNTC soldiers rest near the incomplete crane while a jealous comrade oversees work.

31796842422_1d565a9952_z.jpgNew Beginnings by Capt. Genaro, on Flickr

Settlers unload a rowboat.

31104409354_0d8c0ff3ec_z.jpgNew Beginnings by Capt. Genaro, on Flickr

:laugh: :roflmao: :iamded_lol: Hilarious story and excellent build, Captain Genaro, those two sleeping soldiers look great, and the rest of the activity (though I'm not sure if sleeping actually counts, come to think of it :grin:) is very nicely portrayed as well!  Good job with the changing color of sand and the waves too, keep it up! :thumbup:

Lovely build to introduce the settlement! The sleeping soldiers, especially the one with his hat over his face, are my favorite part, but the dark and light sand of the beach and the wave effect are noteworthy, too. :thumbup:

That said ...

6 hours ago, Captain Genaro said:

If the poison in the major's footlocker was as deadly as the natives claimed it to be, construction of Lavalette could continue without the Order interfering.

Scandalous! :pir-oh: The major best pray to Zeus that his secret does not get out!

yay! let's this party started?

I believe we must instill some discipline to these "fine lads" that are guarding this settlement :tongue:

Now I really want to build a small MOC in Lavalette. Great storyline to kick off your settlement - I really like where this whole thing is going, undermining the authority of the faith each and every day. Great, great.

Nice beachwork, and lively scene, with many great details. I think the water could use a little more work, but the wavy lines are actually quite effective. The corner of jungle breaks up the beach nicely.

One thing I wonder, though. The RNTC seems to be marred with incompetence - the coward major and the young Henri both. I wonder what the investors will think! :P

On ‎12‎/‎28‎/‎2016 at 5:50 PM, Garmadon said:

:laugh: :roflmao: :iamded_lol: Hilarious story and excellent build, Captain Genaro, those two sleeping soldiers look great, and the rest of the activity (though I'm not sure if sleeping actually counts, come to think of it :grin:) is very nicely portrayed as well!  Good job with the changing color of sand and the waves too, keep it up! :thumbup:

That's a much better reaction than I was hoping for.   

On ‎12‎/‎28‎/‎2016 at 10:45 PM, Capt Wolf said:

Lovely build to introduce the settlement! The sleeping soldiers, especially the one with his hat over his face, are my favorite part, but the dark and light sand of the beach and the wave effect are noteworthy, too. :thumbup:

Thank you. Balancing the hat took a bit of patience (and care not to bump into the MOC while taking pictures), but I thought it was too good to pass up.

On ‎12‎/‎29‎/‎2016 at 1:36 AM, blackdeathgr said:

yay! let's this party started?

I believe we must instill some discipline to these "fine lads" that are guarding this settlement :tongue:

I'm sure the fine lads would show a little more discipline if you paid them more.:grin:

On ‎12‎/‎30‎/‎2016 at 3:05 AM, Elostirion said:

Now I really want to build a small MOC in Lavalette. Great storyline to kick off your settlement - I really like where this whole thing is going, undermining the authority of the faith each and every day. Great, great.

Thank you very much. Please feel free to build in Lavalette and participate in the story if you desire.

On ‎2‎/‎22‎/‎2017 at 1:48 AM, Bregir said:

Nice beachwork, and lively scene, with many great details. I think the water could use a little more work, but the wavy lines are actually quite effective. The corner of jungle breaks up the beach nicely.

One thing I wonder, though. The RNTC seems to be marred with incompetence - the coward major and the young Henri both. I wonder what the investors will think! :P

Very kind. I agree that the water needs some more work, and perhaps using some trans-blue and trans-light blue would help. Next time I guess.

Well, I wouldn't call the major a coward. Bold and foolish, perhaps, but challenging and being threatened by the Order is enough to instill fear in even the bravest of men. Of course, the investors have nothing to fear. Competent officers will arrive soon...