Sign in to follow this  
McWaffel

Give me your MOC ideas

Hey Guys! 

I'm super delighted! A college of mine told me that he used to have a Lego train when he was a kid and he'd see what he could find. Turns out, he used to have an original Metro Liner - including a double deck carriage. Unfortunately, all that's left of the train are the bogies, the 9V motor and the base plates of the train. He sold them to me for 10€. Quite a bargain if you ask me. I'm going to convert my Santa Fe Engine into a 9V train (it was not powered at all before). I'm left with this:

http://i.imgur.com/v6UwRij.jpg

A completely stripped out Metro Liner base. Nothing more, nothing less. I really wished he still had the complete parts but oh well, can't have everything I guess ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Now I'm looking for ideas to create a new train. I'm planning on making this one a power functions train. I currently have a Santa Fe Engine (conversion to 9V coming up) with one Santa Fe carriage, the complete blue cargo train (set 60052, I believe, with PF) and the blue Railway Express (also a 9V train). 
I've never really liked the look of the Railway Express' Engine. So stubby and weird. The majority of my trains have a north-american look, so I feel like going the same direction with this MOC train. So if you got an idea of something cool that would go along with my other trains, I'd be glad if you posted some pictures. This is going to be my first MOC train. Super excited for the opportunity. 

Edited by LuxorV
Oversized image. Turned into link.

First of, thanks for the replies so far, guys! 

3 hours ago, M_slug357 said:

Why not something from Amtrak?

Or, if you're from California, maybe Caltrain?

I've never heard of Caltrain before but man their trains look great! So far I that's my favorite. I like the MPI MPXpress engine.

2 hours ago, dr_spock said:

Florida's new Brightline high speed train?

Looks too European-Styled to me. I live in Germany so I get to see those euro-trains every single day (I ride the train to work). Thanks for the suggestion though.

1 hour ago, Beck said:

Your train bases are ideal for bi-level railcars, so metrolink's railcars would be perfect. Personally, I prefer the new Siemens Charger over the older diesels.

Well unfortunately I only have one of the bi-level bases, but yeah I'm definitely going to build a bi-level car out of the one I have available. 

36 minutes ago, McWaffel said:

First of, thanks for the replies so far, guys! 

I've never heard of Caltrain before but man their trains look great! So far I that's my favorite. I like the MPI MPXpress engine.

Looks too European-Styled to me. I live in Germany so I get to see those euro-trains every single day (I ride the train to work). Thanks for the suggestion though.

Well unfortunately I only have one of the bi-level bases, but yeah I'm definitely going to build a bi-level car out of the one I have available. 

How about the MBTA commuter trains from Massasschusetts, USA?  They run mixed consists of single level and bi-level cars too.

MBTA_2001_at_the_Willows3_IMG_96191.jpg?

mbta1130.jpg

6016532658_c719ca63bc_z.jpg

^ Woah that would be cool with a very unique color scheme and a selection of engine options. What are the bars over the windshield of engine #1130 though?

42 minutes ago, koalayummies said:

^ Woah that would be cool with a very unique color scheme and a selection of engine options. What are the bars over the windshield of engine #1130 though?

RPG protection grid.  Actually it is a metal grid to protect the engineer (driver) from rocks and stuff people throw off overpasses and bridges. I think engines have better protection windshield glass now that the screen is no longer required.

36 minutes ago, pirzyk said:

South Boston :P

Yup, I used to hang out at South Station. MBTA only had F40PHs, rebuilt F7s and RDCs back then.  :classic:

5 hours ago, Beck said:

Personally, I prefer the new Siemens Charger over the older diesels. 

You are seriously the first person in all of the internet I have heard say they like the look of the Charger. I thought it looked like something out of a bad sci-fi film.

I've always been partial to the Coast Starlight myself.  I have fond memories of riding it from Van Nuys, CA to Oceanside, CA for Christmas dinner with my Aunt and Uncle who lived in Vista, CA.  It was a classy train with a rather simple consist that is easy to reproduce for a "model rail".

I love the purple/silver & yellow livery, but I think getting train window parts in purple should be a rather difficult task :D Thanks for all your ideas guys! Does anyone have an idea what windscreen would be best to build an MPI MPXpress engine?