Sign in to follow this  
Calanon

Custom torso design tutorial

I'm trying to learn to design & create custom torsos, however the excellent guide by ED-209 no longer has any pictures since the forum was upgraded. Is it possible for someone to help me to learn or to point me in the direction of another guide that I could use?

Yes, losing ED-209 images was a big stroke to our tutorial section. It would seem the problem is with the original photo sharing site, not due to the board up-date.

There still is a brief Inkscape (free Corel-Draw like program) tutorial. Apart from that, we'd need someone with time and expertise to submit a new one to integrate our resources.

I use illustrator to make all my designs and products.

I've never used paint or corel draw to do it so I'm no use there..

I have a special template that I use to create my designs. 

The most important rule is to make everything 20% larger on a minifig torso compared to a real life outfit.

So if someone has a badge on a shirt, make it 20% bigger on your design otherwise it won't print large enough to see.

If you have any other questions, please feel free to ask away, I'll gladly help out where I can

1 hour ago, LuxorV said:

Yes, losing ED-209 images was a big stroke to our tutorial section. It would seem the problem is with the original photo sharing site, not due to the board up-date.

There still is a brief Inkscape (free Corel-Draw like program) tutorial. Apart from that, we'd need someone with time and expertise to submit a new one to integrate our resources.

I tried to use that, but I found it too brief to really be useful unfortunately.

44 minutes ago, Bricksanity said:

I use illustrator to make all my designs and products.

I've never used paint or corel draw to do it so I'm no use there..

I have a special template that I use to create my designs. 

The most important rule is to make everything 20% larger on a minifig torso compared to a real life outfit.

So if someone has a badge on a shirt, make it 20% bigger on your design otherwise it won't print large enough to see.

If you have any other questions, please feel free to ask away, I'll gladly help out where I can

My main problem is accurately tracing and existing design and then doing everything with layers. When I try and trace curves it just goes... well... all wrong really. I'm not planning on making any totally new designs yet, just variations of existing ones.