Sign in to follow this  
Ecclesiastes

Book II Challenge V Prelude: Alguroran

Somewhere in the vast coldness of the Frozen Beyond-

31621501742_a52bddab6e_c.jpg

A cold, raspy voice could be heard descending a staircase.

Rissah: "I'm surprised you found this place, my old friend. Well, maybe not so much. Though resisting this much cold is impressive, even for a druid like yourself. It's unfortunate that The Algor Keep is reclaimed by those miserable Chorians. Although I guess you had something to do with putting a hold to my progress at Ragau . Even beheading my precious  Bulldrasil. The Ramaah are fierce but they couldn't have managed to pull that off without help from someone like you. I should have watched over that battle back then, but I had other matters to attend. I didn't like to go there, a bit too warm for my taste but it was worth the trip. Oh, before I forget, my apologies for your friend's demise. He was just too noisy. Coming to the Algor was his mistake, I did take care of him though. Even showing him the battle at Ragau, you must have seen him. That poor Disan. Did you know we became good friends? He's here, accompanying some of my pets. Creatures like you are always well preserved once they're in these lands. He hasn't changed a bit since they had to retreat from Rachau..."

31652108471_d717d8094d_c.jpg

Gyrin: "I see the passage of time hasn't made you any less long winded old friend."

Rissah: "Silence Gyrin!!"

An even colder wind came down on the fortress when Rissah spoke in anger and suddenly with a chilling change in her voice. 

Rissah: "Or do you wish to suffer the same fate as Disan right now? Oh, the way that man screamed for your help, but you weren't there to help him. I bet you were the one who sent him out on his own into the Beyond. I may have ended his life, but his death is on you!"

A few tears appeared on Gyrin's face. Disan was his best friend, he found Disan as an orphaned baby and gave him to Elon Chorian to be raised at the court. When Disan reached the age of fourteen he left the court to accompany Gyrin on his many adventures. Now Disan's remains were used as Rissah's play thing.
Though some tears were rolling down his cheeks, Gyrin spoke with a fierce voice:

Gyrin: "His death saved thousands of lives, he managed to warn us before you started your hopeless quest. And now I'm here trying to stop this madness."

31768237925_f1d61b0e93_c.jpg

Rissah: "Madness?! The true madness is that we are the oldest beings in Mitgardia and we are forced to live only here in the Beyond!  Everything I grew up with has been destroyed, even the Surazal wells are all gone. Except for this one, that is protected by the fortress. The destruction of the wells must affect you too, I can see you haven't been drinking for quite a while. You're becoming old, Gyrin. Are you really here to talk me out of my madness, or are you just stopping by for a drink?!"

31731142176_3492e84244_c.jpg

Gyrin took another step onto the bridge when a reflection on the ice caught his eye.  He looked up to see the blue sky. "Strange," thought Gyrin, "clear skies never occur here."  He knew this must've been Rissah's doing.  The Druid jammed his staff into the cold stone and murmured a few words. Gray clouds appeared, blocking out the sun again.

Gyrin: "No drink today Rissah, and you should have stopped drinking long ago as well. It is clouding your mind.  The darkness that enters the mind- that's why I stopped. The well grants you long life, but what good is long life if it makes you bitter and cold? I should have visited more often. Maybe I could have prevented you from turning into this- this miserable being, filled with hatred."

30926906684_1bee562874_c.jpg

Rissah, still standing with her back towards Gyrin, turned her head slightly towards him and smiled. She heard the druid's spell, but her grin revealed it wouldn't matter.  Gyrin tried to plead with her one last time.

Gyrin: "Rissah, you know what your call will bring.  Don't do it, I asked you as your friend- look at your fellow Algus- once a wise race but now you changed them all into monsters."

Rissah coyly grinned.

Rissah: "Yes, you're right, once we were wise- but what did that ever get us?. And you're right, we used to be friends- but you disappeared for a very long time and during your absence much has changed. I never really trusted humans- but I always gave them the benefit of the doubt for your sake. Then Revolword came and showed me the true nature of humans again.  His Elementals killed so many of my kind.  We sought to reassert ourselves in the human's world but as strong as we are, we were repelled by Elon and his clansmen again. In that dark times I saw the light.  I knew we needed a new ally. How does the saying go?  The enemy of my enemy... Raavage is perfect, he wants to crush all you humans as well!"

Gyrin: "Maddness!  You  know Raavage kills other races as well- you are not as safe as you think."

Rissah: "Raavage can have the Darklands so long as he leaves Mitgadia to us. Raavage knows he is better off with me on his side. The only thing standing in our way are the poor Mitgardian souls, foolish enough to stand between the Algus and the Black Spire!"

Gyrin: "Mitgardia will not stand alone!"

Gyrin caught himself.  If Erissa's source was correct, the heir to Cedrica may unite the other guilds and maybe, just maybe Mitgardia could stand against the Spire and their Algus allies.  Gyrin looked at Rissah's cold gaze, but his momentary slip revealed much.  She knew what he meant.  The heir to Cedrica.  Rissah's face finally showed some change, Gyrin even sensed that she may be scared.  Now that Gyrin knew the truth she considered killing him, but her bitter heart thought it a mercy.  With the Spire as allies, he should live to see the Algus rule the North.

31652110581_9a47bdae9b_c.jpg

Rissah:"Leave now, before I make up my mind and let you join Disan. Be sure to say goodbye on the way out- my beasts are hungry and I have grown tired of hearing his cries. Take a good look at your friend's face- or what's left of it- because it will be the last you'll see of him. How merciful I am!  Go now, leave!"

Gyrin realized any attempt to reason with her was hopeless, but with the confirmation of the Spire's alliance, he needed to escape to inform Elon of what he discovered. Gyrin wasn't sure why Rissah hadn't killed him, perhaps she still had affection for him, perhaps she only wanted him to suffer more, perhaps she was still planning to end him here. A sensation of dread entered his body as he turned around and walked swiftly for the stairs. While descending, he turned back to his old friend and called out-
Gyrin: "Farewell Rissah..."

31395977700_9543c010f3_c.jpg

The words echoed through the keep.  Rissah showed a toothy grin.

Rissah: "Farewell indeed, Gyrin..."
She turned around, lifted her head towards the top of the tower and called out:
Rissah: "Light the beacon, let all the creatures of the true North assemble here. With the help of Raavage we will claim and rule Mitgardia!"

One of the Elder Algus' standing on top of the tower used a spell and a bright blue beacon shoot up into the sky. The clouds Gyrin managed to make were not enough to block it, it spread like wildfire. Soon the whole sky was lit and from every corner you could here beasts roaring and howling. They all answered the call...

30959165673_ba8bfafaf5_c.jpg

Things are getting more hopeless all the time. We will need all of our master builders to free Historica from this combined menace.

I really enjoy seeing another Algus castle from you. It's great to see such a different style of fantasy architecture.

So in Mitgardia... the Algus and their beasts are definitely with the Spire and so are the Drow, Hand of Corruption and Varlyrians...

In Nocturnus... Raavage my be seeking another Helm of Power, but Breggan at least thinks it is a mere distraction.  I myself am not so sure it is only a distraction, I think Raavage will seek every advantage! 

In Kaliphlin... Dugal believes something in the South is keeping the Desert King from uniting the people of Kaliphlin, but is not sure if it is the High Council or Ulandus or something else...

In Avalonian... We know the Drow made an incursion and we know there was a plague, but is something more going on there as well?

As for this build... It's great!  It looks so cold, and the white and trans light blue really pop.  I especially like the Algus beasts feeding on Disan, so gory!  I also learned much about the Algus in one story.  Great work oh Master of Mitgardia!

This is fantastic.  I love the texturing and the stairs.  The Tower is very nice.  I also love the story and all of the figures. Great job.

This story is progressing so amazingly well! I absolutely love it! :wub: the same gors for the build, wich manages to capture the true Algus feeling so well

I'm really enjoying the way you guys are incorporating what seemed like fairly independent civil-wars into a coherent single story!

This build is great! I love the gargoyles- the posing and parts make them seem a little like petrified people!

2 hours ago, Lord Vladivus said:

I'm really enjoying the way you guys are incorporating what seemed like fairly independent civil-wars into a coherent single story!

Strange, huh?  Almost like it was planned or something... Or something...

Wow great looking build! Really captures that frozen fortress vibe. The story was fun a read as well. All around awesome stuff. 

Lovely grayscale and eerily blue color scheme! Great story too :classic:
Some innovative details too, I especially like those stairs and the crenelations.

But one question can't get out of my head, why is there only snow below the fortress and not a bit on the walls...?

This is an amazing build with an excitement-building story, Ecc.!

The colors are perfect here with the dark bley stone to offset the white and blue of the snow and ice!  Exquisite texturing for the walls and the landscape including the studs on the walls!  The light gray rock under the walls really adds to the appearance, especially with the small snow peaks.  Snow atop the walls would be a nice inclusion, as Gideon suggested.  Is there any special significance to the stone figures on the wall?

Love the way the stories are all coming together, the challenges are going to be really interesting!

Not to mention the wonderful build, the use of grey rocks works nicely with the dark grey castle, the build almost feels cold, fantastic work!

On 28/12/2016 at 5:56 PM, ZCerberus said:

Strange, huh?  Almost like it was planned or something... Or something...

Wait, you mean to tell me you actually have a plan?! I realised you would, it's just nice to see it coming together!

Excellent build, Ecc!  It's awesome to see how much texture and detail you can get out of all that dark gray, and you definitely do it very well!  The techniques on the tower corners are some of my favorite parts, but the pool, snow, and ice-work are great as well! :classic:  Great to see a Mitgardian build from you again! :wink:

Really staring down the darkness at this point. The numbers of the enemy continue to grow beyond control.

This is a great build E! Some clever details.

Edited by Blufiji

Mitgardia's leader showing how it's done with an epic MOC :sweet:

Tremendous detailing on each aspect of the fortress! The purposeful use of exposed studs is one of the main things that stands out to me, along with the excellent variety of parts used and shapes achieved :wub: Using bridges to connect each section of the fortress adds to the fantasy look :thumbup: And some great story development as well!

I really like texturing Ecc and it looks unexpectedly well using just dark bluish as color :sweet:

The architectural texturing is extraordinary! The complete monotony of the dark bluish grey and the strange shapes add to the complete hostile atmosphere of this place. Also, the train of awesome story progression is showing no sign of slowing down! :sweet::thumbup: