Brickshelf user "lukasz7792" has just posted an interesting comparison picture of an older & newer PF Polarity Switch.

The one on the left has a black reversing switch and the one on the right does not.

Does anyone know why it was omitted?

switchquestion.jpg

I don't know why, but when I received one from Customer Service they told that the "older version" is no longer produced. I was unhappy because I had to send the one that had the polarity switch back to them because it was broken.

Dear Daniil,

Thanks for keeping in touch with us.

I'm really sorry you're not satisfied with the new-design LEGO® Power Functions Control Switch!

We replaced the previous version 4654822 with a brand-new design, now under the part number 4654825. I'm sorry to say that this means we no longer have the old version available to sell or send out to you free of charge. Our designers in Denmark invent new LEGO toys and pieces all the time, spending hours trying to create toys that are better and more fun every time. This means we sometimes have to stop making a few of the older pieces.

You may still be able to find the old switch through different retailers or online shops. Keep in mind that these aren’t our websites so the LEGO Group isn’t responsible for their content, and the items they’re selling could be new or used.

I really hope you can find an inventive way to incorporate the all-new Control Switch in your many LEGO projects!

Have a great day.

Edited by LXF
Added CS email reply

Sounds like a cost reduction effort...but, i have seen issues with that polarity switch, if in the wrong position it can give the impression that the PF parts are not working...because the switch is in neutral. i experienced this issue with my build of 8258.

There was a thread about this some time ago when it was first spotted.

Trouble is the old type is still shown on the Power Functions section of Lego's website !

Edited by Doug72

The pole reverser is a very useful element I´m having a lot of fun with. The redundant black polarity switch on the pole reverser doesn´t make a lot of sense to implement in the product from the beginning. What really doesn´t make any sense to me in this case is the statement

4 hours ago, LXF said:

Our designers in Denmark invent new LEGO toys and pieces all the time, spending hours trying to create toys that are better and more fun every time.

because removing the polarity switch doesn´t save development costs or contribute to customers satisfaction, rather seems to create even more confusion...

Removing the switch probably was to simplify manufacturing and reduce costs and support calls from beginners who don't know how to set the polarity switch correctly.  Any future sets designed by LEGO would have the PF switch oriented in the correct way and no need to adjust the tiny polarity switch. 

3 hours ago, Doug72 said:

There was a thread about this some time ago when it was first spotted.

Trouble is the old type is still shown on the Power Functions section of Lego's website !

Product department doesn't talk to marketing department so it seems.  It was the same when the shade of green on the 32x32 base plates changed.