Sign in to follow this  
soccerkid6

Horseback Archery Tournament

My 6th entry for the Colossal Castle Contest, this time in the Archery Tournament category. I enjoyed getting to use our sand green plates for the landscape.

The annual horseback archery tournament in Avalonia is always a popular competition. Since Avalonian archery is generally more focused on long bow use, its usually a close contest between the four guilds.Spectator stands are placed around the range, while wooden stakes mark how close archers are allowed to get to targets.

Overview-5.jpg

Arcer2.jpg

Archer.jpg

Red-Stand.jpg

More pictures, here.

Thanks for looking, comments and suggestions welcome :classic:

Stunning build as always SK! Really like the landscape with it's natural colours!

The spectator stands makes a great contrast to the landscape with it's bright colours! The left stands lower section with the slanted planks is a great feature which I will borrow for sure!

Excellent build SK, the landscape colors are fantastic and contrast really well with the bright canopy colors! Ā Speaking of colors, the Kaliphlin red and dark blue look great!Ā :grin:Ā  The horse's pose is spot on! :thumbup:

Awesome build Isaac! The sand green in contrast to the reddish brown looks great! I actually think I like the red/blue tent over the green/white tent, just because it has less studs showing... But it is all great! Keep it up!

Edited by TheLordOfBricks

Great build SK! I absolutely love the "cloth" parts of the tribunes, they are really awesome! :thumbup:Ā The amount of sand-green in this build is unbelievable, and it contrasts well with the red-blue. Awesome job man!

Nice creation! I like the sand green ground and the riding horseman archer!
Maybe you could built for target a suck in the ground that it lookks like human or on a tree!Ā :sweet:

Great tournament, SK!

Excellent use of the sand green plates!Ā The terrain and grandstands are just fantastic! Ā Nice archery butts as well with a great idea for the horseback tournament! Ā The banners and hangings on the stands are neatly built and interesting, especially in the contestant's colors.

I always enjoy your landscape, even just flat ground like this still looks very nice. The two different stands are both wonderfully done, with bright colours! I like the idea too, I feel like coming up with an original idea is a big part of contest like CCC, and this one is nicely done, and well executed Ā :thumbup:

Awesome build, SK, excellent landscaping and great work with those stands, especially with those canopies!Ā :thumbup:Ā  Excellent minifig posing as well, and I do like the arch pieces under the stairs!Ā :classic:

Ā 

On 12/26/2016 at 3:10 AM, de Gothia said:

Stunning build as always SK! Really like the landscape with it's natural colours!

The spectator stands makes a great contrast to the landscape with it's bright colours! The left stands lower section with the slanted planks is a great feature which I will borrow for sure!

Thanks dG! I wanted to do slanted planks for one of the stands, so I just messed around with the spacing of brick modified with stud until they attached nicely :classic:

On 12/26/2016 at 4:53 AM, en_zoo said:

really nice idea and execution! love the standsĀ :wub:

Thanks en_zoo!

On 12/26/2016 at 7:33 AM, Kai NRG said:

Excellent build SK, the landscape colors are fantastic and contrast really well with the bright canopy colors! Ā Speaking of colors, the Kaliphlin red and dark blue look great!Ā :grin:Ā  The horse's pose is spot on! :thumbup:

Thank you, and yeah, I didn't really think of red/dark blue being Kali colors at first, but it worked nicely :classic:

On 12/26/2016 at 9:16 AM, TheLordOfBricks said:

Awesome build Isaac! The sand green in contrast to the reddish brown looks great! I actually think I like the red/blue tent over the green/white tent, just because it has less studs showing... But it is all great! Keep it up!

Thanks, the white/green tent does has a lot of studs showing since I didn't want to make the wedge plates real bulky.

On 12/26/2016 at 0:11 PM, TitusV said:

Great build SK! I absolutely love the "cloth" parts of the tribunes, they are really awesome! :thumbup:Ā The amount of sand-green in this build is unbelievable, and it contrasts well with the red-blue. Awesome job man!

Thanks Titus!

On 12/26/2016 at 6:37 PM, Mpyromaxos said:

Nice creation! I like the sand green ground and the riding horseman archer!
Maybe you could built for target a suck in the ground that it lookks like human or on a tree!Ā :sweet:

Thank you, and some more interesting target designs would add to the scene :thumbup:

On 12/27/2016 at 6:06 PM, blackdeathgr said:

A study on a good use of sand green plates used at landscaping... A really good MOC as always!

Thanks!

On 12/28/2016 at 9:46 AM, Slegengr said:

Great tournament, SK!

Excellent use of the sand green plates!Ā The terrain and grandstands are just fantastic! Ā Nice archery butts as well with a great idea for the horseback tournament! Ā The banners and hangings on the stands are neatly built and interesting, especially in the contestant's colors.

Thanks Sleg!

On 12/29/2016 at 7:15 AM, Legofin2012 said:

I always enjoy your landscape, even just flat ground like this still looks very nice. The two different stands are both wonderfully done, with bright colours! I like the idea too, I feel like coming up with an original idea is a big part of contest like CCC, and this one is nicely done, and well executed Ā :thumbup:

Thank you, it was rather ironic that I finished another archery tournament just before the CCC began :laugh:

On 12/29/2016 at 2:17 PM, Garmadon said:

Awesome build, SK, excellent landscaping and great work with those stands, especially with those canopies!Ā :thumbup:Ā  Excellent minifig posing as well, and I do like the arch pieces under the stairs!Ā :classic:

Ā 

Thanks Garmadon! And I'm glad you noticed the arch stairs, I thought that worked out well :sweet:

8 hours ago, soccerkid6 said:

Thank you, and yeah, I didn't really think of red/dark blue being Kali colors at first, but it worked nicely :classic:

What? Ā You mean it wasn't supposed to be a Kaliphlinian archer about to totally whip that tree-hugging opponent?Ā :grin:

1 hour ago, Kai NRG said:

What? Ā You mean it wasn't supposed to be a Kaliphlinian archer about to totally whip that tree-hugging opponent?Ā :grin:

After I chose the colors, yes. But the colors decided his loyalties, if that makes sense :laugh:

17 hours ago, soccerkid6 said:

After I chose the colors, yes. But the colors decided his loyalties, if that makes sense :laugh:

Oh,Ā :laugh:Ā . Some patriot. Ā Red and dark blue look good on me today, so I think I'll shoot for Kaliphlin.Ā :tongue:

Excellent archery tournament, Isaac. :thumbup: Both spectator stands are superb, (though, as with Kai, I like the red and dark blue one better, of course :tongue:) and the targets and ground texturing are great too :classic: