TalonCard

Weird new/early/off brand pirate hat in official LEGO video?

So there's a great new series of Pirate-themed videos over on the official LEGO YouTube channel called "The Misadventures of Captain Brickbeard", wherein the Captain and his crew attempt to battle various LEGO themes to prove their superiority. Love 'em, everyone should watch them. (The City video is particularly amusing.)

But something stood out to me in the first episode, at about 0:24. Maybe I'm crazy, maybe it's a trick of the light, but there's a pirate wearing a brown tricorn that I've never seen before. (It's the pirate ripping off his shirt. That makes sense in context.) To clarify, it's just the hat I haven't seen before; the crew are all custom pirates made from various pirate and pirate-ish minifigure pieces from over the years.

It's a lighter brown than I've ever seen, the hat appears to be flatter and slightly wider than the standard tricorns, and the plastic in the brim appears to be thin enough that you can see light through it. I'm not sure if there's a thing to put a feather in either. The points in the tricorn appear to be more defined as well. I could just be seeing things, but it seems to me to stand out compared to the standard black tricorns in the same shot, and the actual brown tricorn seen later.

What is this thing? An 80s prototype, a new piece we haven't seen yet, or an offbrand hat that somehow made it into the filmmaker's brick box? It's super weird.

TC

Huh, that is strange.  From the translucency of the piece it looks like it's not the same quality ABS as our usual Lego which gives it an off-brand feel... but it would be awfully strange to have made its way into an official Lego video.  Maybe a prototype of some sort- they did change the rag wrap/bandana on the pirates with the 2015 wave of sets, so perhaps they were also messing with the tricorn hats and there are some early prototypes hanging around?

I normally don't go in for such things but that is duced odd. You're absolutely right about the thickness and consistency of the plastic. What I noticed as well is that it’s too small as well. A bit earlier in the video (10 seconds or so) you can see a direct comparison to a known Lego version on the fella to his right. Not only does that illustrate the aforementioned differences but on the Lego one you don't see any of the roundness atop the figures head. The brown one in question sits significantly higher. I don't think it's a Lego hat at all. 

It's possible that it's a new mould - a tricorn wearing pirate appears in a teaser for  Series 17 in the LEGO Batman Movie Minifigures pamphlet.

It does look very similar. :sick:

I thought this was made by TLG.  

@TalonCard or someone should make a topic just about the videos. If no one else does, I will later. :pir-classic: 

Thank you all for the replies and theories; I'm really glad I'm not the only one who noticed this strangeness.

On 12/24/2016 at 9:23 PM, just2good said:

It's possible that it's a new mould - a tricorn wearing pirate appears in a teaser for  Series 17 in the LEGO Batman Movie Minifigures pamphlet.

Ooooh, are there pictures somewhere? I'll be really excited if we're getting another CMF pirate after getting two last year.

23 hours ago, Phred said:

@TalonCard or someone should make a topic just about the videos. If no one else does, I will later. :pir-classic: 

Please do! The videos are great; it's just that the unexplained piece is distracting me, lol.

TC

On 12/25/2016 at 0:14 PM, Phred said:

It does look very similar. :sick:

I thought this was made by TLG.  

A lot of stop-motion videos like this on the LEGO YouTube channel are commissioned from fan animators by the LEGO Group. It's quite possible that the person who made this one got an off-brand hat in their collection by accident (for instance, in a used lot).

On 26/12/2016 at 4:23 PM, TalonCard said:

Ooooh, are there pictures somewhere?

hqdefault.jpg
LEGO-Minifigures-Series-17.jpg

Personally i expect its actually a highwayman rather than a Pirate - but could be an explanation for the hat.