Sign in to follow this  
Jarema

How Stud.io import LDD models

I use Stud.io Open Beta v1.0 (21)  with LEGO Digital Designer 4.3.10. This digital model is under Creative Commons license. Did Stuid.io use out-of-date ldraw.xml or I should wait to next release ?!!

FIRST IMAGE Import into Stud.io as LDD model.

SECOND IMAGE Import into Stud.io model after export from LDD using updated ldraw.xml as LDraw model

render_after_direct_import.png

render_after_export.png

Edited by Jarema

I have on the way to write app that carry on ldraw.xml content. The main question is how detect LDD and|or Stud.io root directory? Or  how I can force them to use the same location ?

However, I think so that it should be reported as the most anticipated functionality with the release of the next path.

1 hour ago, Calabar said:

So the question is: is it possible to update the ldraw.xml file used by stud.io?

Hadn’t tried that yet.

I proposed them on their forum to use my version or bits of it. No answer yet. Though, Stud.io’s ldraw.xml seems machine generated, and raw. no comment, no spaces, no order. Maybe it’s easier to them to maintain their own version.

Edited by SylvainLS
typo

On 24.12.2016 at 0:26 PM, SylvainLS said:

Hadn’t tried that yet.

I proposed them on their forum to use my version or bits of it. No answer yet. Though, Stud.io’s ldraw.xml seems machine generated, and raw. no comment, no spaces, no order. Maybe it’s easier to them to maintain their own version.

I cut all comment, all blank line for your ldraw.xml version of. But this database do not talk with Stud.io. Add isConfirmed attribute to Transformation for example. Can You describe how programmatically|manually transform LDD format of this file for Stud.io ?!!

On 27/12/2016 at 8:04 PM, Jarema said:

I cut all comment, all blank line for your ldraw.xml version of. But this database do not talk with Stud.io.

I wouldn't bother, just use LDD to export .lxf into .ldr and import the other way round. Import of .lxf files in stud.io seems to be still pretty buggy; bricks sometimes are imported with a completely wrong orientation, and it can take quite some time to fix them.

When I try migrate my models from LDD Version 4.3.10 Brick Version 2248.1 into coolest Studio.io. Version 1.0 (69) After I converted LXF to LDR|MPD. Grouping of parts is omitted. How fix this issue, or is workaround solution.

9 minutes ago, Jarema said:

When I try migrate my models from LDD Version 4.3.10 Brick Version 2248.1 into coolest Studio.io. Version 1.0 (69) After I converted LXF to LDR|MPD. Grouping of parts is omitted. How fix this issue, or is workaround solution.

Are you talking about Assemblies (e.g. LDD minifig “torso” becoming LDraw torso + arms + hands) or LDD groups (third tab in LDD (Bricks / Templates / Groups))?

If the former, it’s the way LDD exports. You can trick it though. If you’re interested, I can explain….

If the latter, it’s not possible in LDD.