Ellisss_2

[UCS] U-Wing Rebel Transport

Practical tip - do crop the images after rendering before you upload them. The last one is really funny  - tiny fighter somewhere in the sheer blue void, :D

5 minutes ago, krisandkris12 said:

Practical tip - do crop the images after rendering before you upload them. The last one is really funny  - tiny fighter somewhere in the sheer blue void, :D

Ok dude, thanks for the advice :D.

26 minutes ago, VaderFan2187 said:

Yeah the ship looks mighty good in that position too :thumbup:

Thank you, I am glad it does! :laugh:

On 12/28/2016 at 5:39 AM, nerdsforprez said:

Great thread.  After seeing the movie this weekend..... I also delved straight into Lego to look into re-creating this ship. 

My ideal would be to create a very large, 2-3,000 piece Technic version of the set, with functional aspects like manually operated wings and cargo bay doors, etc.  I don't think the aesthetics would match anything like system bricks.... but Technic is my preferred genre of bricks to use. 

Below you will find the most basic of starts.  The wings are slightly different shape than the original ship.  This was done on purpose.  I love the ship, don't get me wrong, but I am curious what a wide-body version of this ship would be like.  Additionally, for a large, 2-3000 piece set, when the wings sweep into their backwards position they will need a little more beef so as to not bend.  The idea for the thrusters is also at the very beginning stages.... I think I have too much greebles as the pic is now.... but I like the overall look of the overall white area just a little smoother with less greebles. 

Last point is that... because I have family over for the holidays I have been relegated to my dining room table...aka kicked out of my Lego room. That means I don't have access to my collection. So.... I have taken one set to create with.  The UCS Imperial Shuttle.  So far, what you see below is more or less only pieces from the UCS Imperial Shuttle set.  If I continue with this build, I will not be trying to create a B model for the set (although that would be cool) but I do anticipate that the end result of my Technic UCS U-Wing will be mostly built out of the UCS Imperial Shuttle set.   If others were to re-create it... a goal would be that most of the pieces would already be available in this set.

Below: Idea for large thrusters.  Gray area not done.... but imagine covered with greebles.   

Wing idea.  Not complete.... as mentioned, wider than original for purposes already explained. .....

So I played with things more this weekend.  I don't anticipate having much time now that the holidays are over... and therefore I won't make a separate WIP thread until I make some real headway on this project.  Also, perhaps better to eventially post in the Technic subforum but because I may not make further additions for a while just wanted to give an update on what I have done.  As a reminder, I have the same idea as the OP but just kinda a Technic version.  Like I Technic version of a UCS U-wing.  I want to use mostly technic elements.... but not exclusively, and would like to focus on the functional elements that Technic offer.

The idea for the mechanism for sweeping the wings back is done.  It works without problem now, but I have not tried it bearing the weight of both wings.  Before I do that I need to now focus on building an interior chassis to the build just to be able to test the mechanism against all the weight the wings will contribute to the model. 

14833973362_DISPLAY.jpg

14833973373_DISPLAY.jpg

I also re-did the thrusters.  I did not like all the greebling on the white part of the thrusters and therefore made them sleek and the lower, LBG portion of the thrusters with all the greebling. They are large, but I am pleased with them.  May have to scale up my overall model.  First I will make sure that the sweeping mechanism works though at the size the wings currently are..... no sense making them larger if they cannot turn as they are now.......14833973361_DISPLAY.jpg

On 3-1-2017 at 0:07 AM, nerdsforprez said:

The idea for the mechanism for sweeping the wings back is done.  It works without problem now, but I have not tried it bearing the weight of both wings.  Before I do that I need to now focus on building an interior chassis to the build just to be able to test the mechanism against all the weight the wings will contribute to the model. 

<image of the mechanism>

Not trying to be rude, but are you sure that small beige gear can handle the weight? Also I heard the bigger beige one tends to break under too much pressure.

Edited by BEAVeR
Please don't quote pictures

On 3-1-2017 at 0:07 AM, nerdsforprez said:

So I played with things more this weekend.  I don't anticipate having much time now that the holidays are over... and therefore I won't make a separate WIP thread until I make some real headway on this project.  Also, perhaps better to eventially post in the Technic subforum but because I may not make further additions for a while just wanted to give an update on what I have done.  As a reminder, I have the same idea as the OP but just kinda a Technic version.  Like I Technic version of a UCS U-wing.  I want to use mostly technic elements.... but not exclusively, and would like to focus on the functional elements that Technic offer.

<snip>

<snip>

I also re-did the thrusters.  I did not like all the greebling on the white part of the thrusters and therefore made them sleek and the lower, LBG portion of the thrusters with all the greebling. They are large, but I am pleased with them.  May have to scale up my overall model.  First I will make sure that the sweeping mechanism works though at the size the wings currently are..... no sense making them larger if they cannot turn as they are now.......

<snip>

Looking very good! But like Vader Fan said, I'm not sure if that small beige gear will hold.

Kind regards, Ellis.

Edited by BEAVeR

10 hours ago, VaderFan2187 said:

Not trying to be rude, but are you sure that small beige gear can handle the weight? Also I heard the bigger beige one tends to break under too much pressure.

1 hour ago, Ellisss_2 said:

Looking very good! But like Vader Fan said, I'm not sure if that small beige gear will hold.

Kind regards, Ellis.

No rudeness implied...... it is a fair question.  When weight is mentioned, I think what you mean is torque.  The gear will be handling no weight, but torque - yes - which are different things.  The torque needed to deploy the wings really wont have be be that much.... because the mechanism is geared down so much.  In fact, an easy way to apply more torque would be to exchange the two 24 tooth gears (center of picture) with one 8 tooth gear followed by a 40 tooth gear.  That way also the manual turning for the wings to deploy can be relatively fast while the desired deploying wings will be slow, and the torque on the manually turning end will be much less then later down the mechanism  on the end actually deploying the wings.   Both gears in question will be strong enough for this application.  Any discussion of breaking the gears likely has to do with using XL motors which can break them, yet at the same time if adequately braced, should be just fine.   I am more concerned about the gears slipping than breaking.  As mentioned, the chassis is not complete...... when it is, I will definitely be bracing the opposite end of the small bevel gear's axle that passes through it.   

Edited by nerdsforprez

17 hours ago, nerdsforprez said:

No rudeness implied...... it is a fair question.  When weight is mentioned, I think what you mean is torque.  The gear will be handling no weight, but torque - yes - which are different things.  The torque needed to deploy the wings really wont have be be that much.... because the mechanism is geared down so much.  In fact, an easy way to apply more torque would be to exchange the two 24 tooth gears (center of picture) with one 8 tooth gear followed by a 40 tooth gear.  That way also the manual turning for the wings to deploy can be relatively fast while the desired deploying wings will be slow, and the torque on the manually turning end will be much less then later down the mechanism  on the end actually deploying the wings.   Both gears in question will be strong enough for this application.  Any discussion of breaking the gears likely has to do with using XL motors which can break them, yet at the same time if adequately braced, should be just fine.   I am more concerned about the gears slipping than breaking.  As mentioned, the chassis is not complete...... when it is, I will definitely be bracing the opposite end of the small bevel gear's axle that passes through it.   

Ah true. :thumbup:

This U-Wing looks so nice ! If you're willing to share your LDD some day, it will be the next building project on my list for sure !
But just a  question : this canopy would'nt be better ? And it's way cheaper than the one you used.
1-NEW-LEGO-Windscreen-12-x-6-x.jpg
Keep up the good work !

Ramses25

On 6-1-2017 at 1:57 PM, Ramses25 said:

This U-Wing looks so nice ! If you're willing to share your LDD some day, it will be the next building project on my list for sure !
But just a  question : this canopy would'nt be better ? And it's way cheaper than the one you used.

<snip>
Keep up the good work !

Ramses25

Thabk you, that canopy does look like it would be better, I'll check it out.

Kind regards, Ellis.

Edited by BEAVeR

On 1/7/2017 at 1:57 AM, Ramses25 said:

(Snip)
Keep up the good work !

Ramses25

I think it's too small. Ellis' one seems the most accurate out of the official pieces made by LEGO.

^^Small? These two canopies are very similar. In fact, the one proposed by Ramses25 is LONGER by one stud. The only other difference is that this one has hinge mounts, whereas the other has a solid 1x4 plate sticking at the back.

I don't really think this canopy is more accurate, it seems to me that both are fairly inacurate but there is no better choice except brick built solution. But it is for certain at least equally accurate as the one used by Elis and definitely not smaller ;)

17 minutes ago, krisandkris12 said:

^^Small? These two canopies are very similar. In fact, the one proposed by Ramses25 is LONGER by one stud. The only other difference is that this one has hinge mounts, whereas the other has a solid 1x4 plate sticking at the back.

I don't really think this canopy is more accurate, it seems to me that both are fairly inacurate but there is no better choice except brick built solution. But it is for certain at least equally accurate as the one used by Elis and definitely not smaller ;)

I would agree, Kris.

I think I shall just keep the cockpit, unfortunately as we previously discussed TLG fails to create accurate cockpits. 

Kind regards, Ellis.

12 minutes ago, jhaelego said:

Wow this is awesome. I'm glad to see that this is minifig scale. Can't wait to see more progress. 

Thank you Jhaelego, I appreciate it. Pretty sure the model is nearly complete, I would love to construct it with real bricks one day! :laugh:

Kind regards, Ellis.

7 hours ago, IronFish said:

Are there any updates? I really like your design, and I'm looking forward to the lfx.

Hello IronFish,

I'm glad you like it! With regards to updates, I have not made any major ones as I am focusing on my UCS Venator. If you have any ideas I can have a go at implementing them.

Kind regards, Ellis. 

On 09/01/2017 at 7:12 PM, krisandkris12 said:

I  don't really think this canopy is more accurate, it seems to me that both are fairly inacurate but there is no better choice except brick built solution. But it is for certain at least equally accurate as the one used by Elis and definitely not smaller ;)

I think the flat roof of the piece I proposed will fit better the flat shape of the U-Wing cockpit, but this is my opinion ;)

Ramses25

Edited by Ramses25

2 hours ago, Ramses25 said:

I think the flat roof of the piece I proposed will fit better the flat shape of the U-Wing cockpit, but this is my opinion ;)

Ramses25

I will try it and see how it looks! :wink:

EDIT: I have tried both cockpits, and there is really no difference apart from the mounting method. The X-wing Cockpit works better.

Kind regards, Ellis.

Edited by Ellisss_2

Excellent work! Since the cockpit fits 2 pilots, I'm pretty sure this thing is actually minifig-scale. The detailing here is quite impressive, well done!

On 12/24/2016 at 2:52 PM, Ellisss_2 said:

I have shortened the troop bay hopefully, it looks more to scale.

If it is of any help, the official U-Wing description says the ship is designed to carry up to 2 pilots and 8 soldiers.

Here are some reference pics for comparison, if anyone needs them for future suggestions.

ZZ6538A402.jpg?resize=736,275

NEpR3198cF04rt_1_11.jpg

371777B000000578-3733911-image-a-24_1470

u-wing-rogue-one.jpeg

Rogue-One-Uship.gif?w=630&cdnnode=1

Keep up the good work, @Ellisss_2!

Edited by Chrome Bricks

Hello @Chrome Bricks,

I'm extremely glad you like it! :grin: This will help me for sure, I will see how the eight minifigures fit inside, and alter the ship if needed. 

Kind regards, Ellis.