Ellisss_2

[UCS] U-Wing Rebel Transport

33 minutes ago, ChristopherLee said:

Thanks for using my engine design! Nice to see it on a smaller scale

No problem! It suits my MOC well, thank you.

Wow ! I really like it !
If you're OK to share your LDD file, I would love to help you with this U-Wing ;)

Ramses25

11 hours ago, Ramses25 said:

Wow ! I really like it !
If you're OK to share your LDD file, I would love to help you with this U-Wing ;)

Ramses25

Thank you!

However, I have not decided what to do yet regarding the LDD file and instructions. 

TLG's U-Wing really grew on me after I initially really didn't like it, but god it does look silly again in comparison to this beauty.

7 hours ago, Mark1006 said:

TLG's U-Wing really grew on me after I initially really didn't like it, but god it does look silly again in comparison to this beauty.

Thank you! I am pleased it makes that much of an impact against TLG's U-Wing.

Great thread.  After seeing the movie this weekend..... I also delved straight into Lego to look into re-creating this ship. 

My ideal would be to create a very large, 2-3,000 piece Technic version of the set, with functional aspects like manually operated wings and cargo bay doors, etc.  I don't think the aesthetics would match anything like system bricks.... but Technic is my preferred genre of bricks to use. 

Below you will find the most basic of starts.  The wings are slightly different shape than the original ship.  This was done on purpose.  I love the ship, don't get me wrong, but I am curious what a wide-body version of this ship would be like.  Additionally, for a large, 2-3000 piece set, when the wings sweep into their backwards position they will need a little more beef so as to not bend.  The idea for the thrusters is also at the very beginning stages.... I think I have too much greebles as the pic is now.... but I like the overall look of the overall white area just a little smoother with less greebles. 

Last point is that... because I have family over for the holidays I have been relegated to my dining room table...aka kicked out of my Lego room. That means I don't have access to my collection. So.... I have taken one set to create with.  The UCS Imperial Shuttle.  So far, what you see below is more or less only pieces from the UCS Imperial Shuttle set.  If I continue with this build, I will not be trying to create a B model for the set (although that would be cool) but I do anticipate that the end result of my Technic UCS U-Wing will be mostly built out of the UCS Imperial Shuttle set.   If others were to re-create it... a goal would be that most of the pieces would already be available in this set.

Below: Idea for large thrusters.  Gray area not done.... but imagine covered with greebles.   

14829231592_SPLASH.jpg

Wing idea.  Not complete.... as mentioned, wider than original for purposes already explained. 

14829231581_DISPLAY.jpg

@nerdsforprez

Wow, looking very good at the moment! I feel as if my model does not have enough greebling now ahaha! Looks like I am going to completely redo the engines similar to yours, because I believe I do not have enough greebling and my engines don't suit the size of my model. The wings are definitely out of shape, but I appreciate the difficulty mixing technic and normal bricks. 2000-3000 bricks is a huge amount, you will definitely need to find strong ways to mount the swing wings I am sure you will achieve that, though. Also, I have to say this is a unique take on the U-Wing, and you have a lot of work to do so good luck! 

Kind regards, Ellis.

Edited by Ellisss_2

I found this MOC of UCS Red Five (which looks by the way very good) for engines:

As I said before, X-Wing and U-Wing have same engines apart from their sizes (U-Wing's engines are bigger). And imo those engines are quite accurate and big enough so I thought that you could find inspiration with this MOC.

39 minutes ago, legoSWfan said:

I found this MOC of UCS Red Five (which looks by the way very good) for engines:

As I said before, X-Wing and U-Wing have same engines apart from their sizes (U-Wing's engines are bigger). And imo those engines are quite accurate and big enough so I thought that you could find inspiration with this MOC.

That X-Wing is epic! Looks like those engines would definitely suit my MOC. Thank you for your help, I will try getting those engines on my U Wing!

Kind regards, Ellis. 

23 hours ago, Ellisss_2 said:

@nerdsforprez

Wow, looking very good at the moment! I feel as if my model does not have enough greebling now ahaha! Looks like I am going to completely redo the engines similar to yours, because I believe I do not have enough greebling and my engines don't suit the size of my model. The wings are definitely out of shape, but I appreciate the difficulty mixing technic and normal bricks. 2000-3000 bricks is a huge amount, you will definitely need to find strong ways to mount the swing wings I am sure you will achieve that, though. Also, I have to say this is a unique take on the U-Wing, and you have a lot of work to do so good luck! 

Kind regards, Ellis.

Thank you..... Once the holidays are over and I have more time to build and this project actually gains a little traction then I will probably make a WIP and begin posting updates. 

On 12/30/2016 at 4:03 PM, legoSWfan said:

Hi !

Any update in your work ? :)

Kind regards

@legoSWfan

Hello, I have made a small update on the engines.  I'm studying those x-wing engines from that thread you gave me to get them on my model. I need to stick to one project I have 3 on the go. :sadnew: 

Kind regards, Ellis.

Edited by Ellisss_2

@legoSWfan

I have tried the larger engines, and they are definitely too large, would you agree? Sorry for the messy floor. :laugh: I think I will maybe have to try some other methods for engines. 

Kind regards, Ellis.

UCS U Wing 28.12.16.png

Hi Ellis,

I don't actually think that those new engines are too large. In fact they look pretty spot on scalewise. Take this image as an example: u-wing_3a89a295.jpeg?region=330,0,1165,6

Are you planning to actually build this with real bricks? I am just wondering whether those wings will hold up with that little support at the hinge point.. I don't really have any usefull suggestions on how to improve it though. I've been pondering on that area myself..

Keep on building! I'm looking forward to see where this is going. :)

Cheers,

Kit Bricksto

I agree with Kit Bricksto, they seem to be right scaled, maybe a bit long (are they fixed or they float ? I can't see on your pic).
If you use the same methode as your first pic for the intakes (with replacing slope bricks), it should be fine imo.

@Kit Bricksto Thank you for your help. I am searching for methods to structurally improve the wing mount, but I am struggling. I believe I am going to build my Venator in bricks first, as I can't progress any further with it in LDD at the moment, then probably this.

@legoSWfan Ok, the only problem is that the wings cannot fold back because of the engine size, I would have to mount the engines a brick higher/lower.

Kind regards, Ellis.

2 minutes ago, legoSWfan said:

Oh, I feared that it might happen ... And it would be problematic ?

Obviously not now, I have found a way around it. :laugh:  Nearly got the new engines done, give me an hour, two hours tops.

Kind regards, Ellis.

@legoSWfan @Kit Bricksto

Here are the engines! Took me a little longer than expected because I had to construct each engine individually as they are all unique. I hope these look good, enjoy! :sweet:

UCS U Wing 30.12.16UCS U Wing 30.12.16 2UCS U Wing New Engines

Kind regards, Ellis.

Edited by Ellisss_2