Cody Startale

[WIP] Galen Erso decals (now with face)

Update 2: grey lines and wrinkles for better visibility when printed, added binoculars.

galenerso.jpg

Update 1: Added face, back.

galenPrev.jpg

Hi there,

I am currently working on decals for Rogue One's Galen Erso and am finished for now with the torso, so I thought I would share my progress here in case anybody wants to use them, since there is no official minifig (yet). This is his farmer outfit from the trailers:

This served as my template. I hope I can come up with a good face, too, and eventually post it here. Let me know what you think, c&c welcome!

Edited by Cody Startale

Looks good. Only thing I would say is that it might look more accurate to have less skin exposed on the top.

I like it :)

Just a small pointer, you may want to make the belt section slightly larger, otherwise it may be too small when applied to a figure torso..

Edited by LuxorV
Self promotion removed.

Bricksanity, please refrain from promoting your product(s) on our boards, as per the Site Guidelines:

Selling, self promotion and promoting: New members are not allowed to sell/trade on this site, but we do allow long term members to do so in the Buy/Sell/Trade/Finds forum; be sure to read the rules to this forum before posting there. We occasionally allow exclusions to this rule but you need to contact the staff first. We NEVER allow the personal message system to be used to spam or contact members to make sales offers. If you engage in this practice, you will be subject to an immediate ban. The only time the personal message system should be used is when both parties have previously agreed to that form of communication. We take no responsibility for any transaction that takes place as a result of contact made on this site. If you have a problem with a transaction, you should discuss it with the other party, not us. Quite simply, know who you are dealing with and act accordingly. If it seems too good to be true, it probably is. Please don't use Eurobricks as a billboard. You may certainly post links to your site in your signature, but don't join just to advertise your site. This includes reviews/MOCs/contests posted on off-site forums.

Thank you.

4 hours ago, Bricksanity said:

I like it :)

Just a small pointer, you may want to make the belt section slightly larger, otherwise it may be too small when applied to a figure torso..

Yeah, perhaps. I do test all my decals printed as stickers, though, to test it on actual minifigs before wasting precious decal paper :) Still, I have updated it with a bigger belt buckle.

Also, I have added a back and I have a first version of the face decals, though I am still working on that. I think I am on the right track, but it could use a tad more likeness to Mads Mikkelsen. Check it out.

galenPrev.jpg

Edited by Cody Startale

Cody startale

Love your design.  Been trying to design some faces myself but they don't look right. any tips you could tell me?

will

On 1.2.2017 at 4:13 PM, willhappy said:

Cody startale

Love your design.  Been trying to design some faces myself but they don't look right. any tips you could tell me?

will

First of all: thank you! It's always awesome to get some positive feedback!

Where do you think lie the problems with your designs? What I do is that I use an official face design as my template, I have it literally as my backdrop when designing my faces so that I get the proportions of eyes, mouth, beard and such right. I found this incredibly useful design sheet online and have used it ever since:

<br/><a href="http://oi67.tinypic.com/2j5grw7.jpg" target="_blank">View Raw Image</a>

It has been a great help in designing and getting a feel for the overall style Lego is using. So, while I still want my creations to be unique, I also try to make them look like they could be official designs, so that they fit well with the rest of my licensed Lego minifigs.

Speaking of which, I have made a test print for Galen Erso's torso (or like I call it: Galen Terso) and noticed that the wrinkles and outlines were too dark, so I made them light grey instead to better pop up from the shirt color. Also, binoculars have been added to the belt. This is the new design, which works much better when printed:

galenerso.jpg

On 2/2/2017 at 3:15 PM, Cody Startale said:

First of all: thank you! It's always awesome to get some positive feedback!

Where do you think lie the problems with your designs? What I do is that I use an official face design as my template, I have it literally as my backdrop when designing my faces so that I get the proportions of eyes, mouth, beard and such right. I found this incredibly useful design sheet online and have used it ever since:

It has been a great help in designing and getting a feel for the overall style Lego is using. So, while I still want my creations to be unique, I also try to make them look like they could be official designs, so that they fit well with the rest of my licensed Lego minifigs.

Speaking of which, I have made a test print for Galen Erso's torso (or like I call it: Galen Terso) and noticed that the wrinkles and outlines were too dark, so I made them light grey instead to better pop up from the shirt color. Also, binoculars have been added to the belt. This is the new design, which works much better when printed:

Fantastic decal!  Looks just like Galen from that first scene! Magnificent!

Also, I had a question: just like willhappy, I've been working on decals for a project, and they just haven't turned out right.  For some reason the lines are just shaky, and I'm not sure how to correct that.  What program do you use for making these and how do you keep the lines so clean?  I'm using photoshop but it never comes out right!

Thanks in advance! :)

@JGuy Thank you!

Can you provide an image example? Maybe your lines are jaggy and pixelated? That would be due to Photoshop's pixel-based nature, ultimately. I recommend using vector-based software, I use CorelDRAW, but it can be done in Adobe Illustrator just as well, for example.

In fact, I started working on a kind of workshop/tutorial yesterday where I document my whole process of creating decals and I am also considering an in-depth video tutorial. If you are interested, I can notify you when they are done?