Sign in to follow this  
Bregir

[COR-FB] King's Harbour Dockside

Cooke being away in Quinnsville didn't stop developments in King's Harbour. Everything was progressing along with his, so far still secret, plan, and new settlers arrived regularly. While not growing as fast as Cooke had hoped, the arrival of organisations like the ETTC and the Royal Society spurred growth and attracted both investments and people. One of the most recent additions to the settlement was a physician, and it was with the growth of services like this that Cooke hoped the naval base would pick up growth. And so it was!

Cooke's latest order as Governor had been to start building up a network of stone docks and canals, and already days after finishing these, the first plots had been sold. In the first stretch of stone docks erected, warehouses and residences had already been constructed for some of the most entrepreneurial residents and businesses, and the docks were coming alive.

31746237505_b3992aae16_c.jpg

The first buildings were a warehouse of the Montoya Estate and residences for two wealthy merchants.

30904253864_07e653abd0_c.jpg

Loading and unloading the vessels and barges calling in the port required the proper tools, and several cranes and lifts had already been constructed, both for the dockside and as integral to the warehouses. To ensure traffic running smoothly in and across the canals, several drawbridges were being constructed all around the new port.

31746235955_8b7439a987_c.jpg

The canals were already coming alive with several barges and small-craft like this ox-driven vessel currently unloading barrelled cocoa beans from the Allcock cocoa plantation inland. These were being stored in the cellar under the merchant's residence.

31599078532_1cac926364_c.jpg

Nearby, a captain is negotiating with a merchant for a new suit of sails for his lugger, which is currently without any cloth on its masts, due to it being improperly stored while in port and thus ruined by a storm.

30936271133_69b8b512a6_c.jpg

In the meantime, one of the new residents has purchased a piano from the Montoya Warehouse, surprising his wife with such a, for the colonies, rare implement.

30936271533_4a60a9f217_c.jpg

Cooke's city plan allows ample space for traffic and trade, with roads all around most buildings. This has the added benefit of limiting the squalor of closely populated areas, something that had been a cornerstone in Cooke's plan, having himself far too often struggled his way through dirt and despair in the cities of the old world.

It will be interesting to see how King's Harbour develops from here, but if Cooke's plans are followed closely, this section will be a good representation of its future.

_______________________________________________-

Thanks for looking, all. I have wanted to do something like this for a long time, as I have a plan for King's Harbour, which I will hopefully find an occasion to show off in the near(ish) future. I am taking most of my inspiration from northern european cities such as copenhagen and amsterdam, especially Nyhavn in CPH.

As always, C&C is welcome. A few more pictures can be found in my flickr. It will be licensed as a large commerce.

I have seen this on Flickr, and had been wondering when you'd be posting it. It is simple yet elegant. My only comment would be that a few tiles on the quays wouldn't hurt, but that said it would probably diminish the very simple feeling you captured so well now! The houses are very cool, with my favoured of course the green-with-brown-woodwork-one :wink: 

Great job :thumbup: 

What a fantastic overall atmosphere, great creation.

I love the small boat with the windows for storing goods, innovative idea. Great job!

A very nice seaside build. I think you did an excellent job capturing the bustle of a colonial quay and the various people as they go about Quinnsville. I like that each building is unique with different details and architecture yet they all fit together nicely. The drawbridge is a great touch as well.

You might consider using some different pieces for the streets. Perhaps adding some light and dark bluish gray tiles and smaller plates would make the streets look a little less uniform. Also, I think some additional details for the water would be a nice touch. Some gentle waves, seaweed or trash could make it look more realistic (in my opinion).

A fine landlubber-ish build Bregir! Bustling as it should be and with the usual touch of yours regarding the vessels quality. But, :devil: you certainly beat me to that, as I am working on a similar project and will be posting it the following days :tongue:

As always keep up the great work!

Very nice! I like this type of dockside scene, and now we have a better sense of what King's Harbour looks like. I particularly like the drawbridge and how you have posed the oxen eating some hay. Great use of color in the buildings, too. :thumbup: