Captain Genaro

Royal New Terra Company (RNTC) - General Discussion

Flag_Oleon TC.png 

Déclaration du Roi portant établissement de la

Compagnie pour le Commerce de la Nouvelle Terre

Royal Charter for the Royal New Terra Company

His Most Holy Majesty, King Philip the First, by the Grace of the Gods, King of Oleon and Guelph, Protector of New Terra, the True Defender of the Faith and so forth, here directs The Intendant Général des Finances to establish The Royal New Terra Company (RNTC) for the purpose of protecting Oleon’s mercantile enterprises throughout His Sacred Realm.

ARTICLE I: Overview

Spoiler

The RNTC shall be overseen by a Directeur, appointed by the Most Sacred Crown of Oleon. The Directeur shall report directly to the Crown of Oleon. Should the Crown Of Oleon be pleased with the Directeur’s efforts, the Directeur shall receive a single share of Preferred Stock each quarter at no cost to him. The Directeur shall be a man of noble stature not less than a Knight.

The Directeur may appoint Lieutenants to assist in overseeing the RNTC.

ARTICLE II: Assets

Spoiler

The RNTC shall be granted the privilege to maintain ownership over properties, ships, and troops which shall be overseen by the Directeur and his Lieutenants. All properties, ships, and troops of the RNTC shall serve the Most Sacred Crown of Oleon and shall be subject to the will of the Crown of Oleon.

The RNTC is granted the privilege to maintain ownership over a number of properties, including fortifications, with no limit set forth by the Crown of Oleon.

The RNTC is granted the privilege to maintain ownership over ships not to exceed five Class 5Ts, two Class 5HAs, and 1 Class 5A. Ships of lesser classes may be substituted.

The RNTC is granted the privilege to maintain ownership over troops whose total numbers shall not exceed 270 men.

Should the Directeur desire additional ships and troops, he shall appeal to the Most Sacred Crown of Oleon to grant the privilege of maintaining ownership over additional ships and troops.

ARTICLE III: Treasury

Spoiler

The RNTC shall be permitted to maintain a Treasury of Doubloons not to exceed the lesser of fifty percent of the value of all properties, ships, and troops or 2,000 Doubloons. After all MCRA results are known for a Quarter, should the Treasury exceed said limitations, any Doubloons in excess of this amount must be returned to the Holders of Shares of Preferred Stock.

Should the Directeur desire to increase the limitations on the RNTC’s Treasury, he shall appeal to the Most Sacred Crown of Oleon to grant permission to increase the limitations.

ARTICLE IV: Region of Trade

Spoiler

The RNTC is hereby granted the privilege to establish on Île de Zeus, Île Sous de Vent, Île d’Or, and Stéphanique a Region of Trade in which all mercantile enterprises shall be subject to the oversight of the Directeur and Lieutenants of the RNTC.

Property ownership in a Region of Trade shall be limited to the Holders of Preferred Stock under the terms set forth in Article VI, and to anyone granted with a Royal Charter by the Most Sacred Crown of Oleon. An exception shall be granted to those Owning Property prior to a location being added to the Region of Trade.

The privilege to trade in settlements in a Region of Trade shall be limited to the Holders of Preferred Stock under the terms set forth in Article VI, and to anyone granted with a Royal Charter by the Most Sacred Crown of Oleon.

Should the Directeur desire to add additional territory to the Region of Trade, he shall appeal to the Most Sacred Crown of Oleon to grant permission to do so.

ARTICLE  V: Common Stock

Spoiler

All loyal subjects of Oleon in good standing with the Most Sacred Crown of Oleon, will be granted a single Share of Common Stock in the RNTC. Said Shares shall grant the Holder the privilege to benefit from any monopolies the RNTC shall be granted. These Shares may not be transferred and shall immediately be revoked if the subject abandons his Duty to serve the Crown of Oleon.

Shares of Common Stock may be purchased by subjects of other nations provided they are in good standing with the Most Sacred Crown of Oleon. The cost for Shares shall be determined by the Directeur with the approval of the Crown of Oleon.

ARTICLE VI: Preferred Stock

Spoiler

All loyal subjects of Oleon in good standing with the Most Sacred Crown of Oleon, as well as subjects of other nations in good standing with the Crown of Oleon, are hereby granted the privilege to purchase Shares of Preferred Stock. Furthermore, the Directeur of the RNTC, upon receiving approval from the Crown of Oleon, may issue, at no cost or reduced cost, Shares of Preferred Stock as compensation.

A Share of Preferred Stock grants the Holder the right to have one vessel trade within the RNTC’s Regions of Trade per MCRA action. It shall also grant the same vessel access to join in the RNTC’s convoys, assuming there is adequate space in the convoy to allow for an additional vessel. These rights shall be temporarily revoked if the Holder of the Share of Preferred Stock is engaged in hostility towards the Most Sacred Crown of Oleon, or if they belong to a nation that has committed an Act of Aggression against the Crown of Oleon.

A Share of Preferred Stock grants the Holder the right to maintain ownership over seven properties within the RNTC’s Regions of Trade. If the Holder of the Share of Preferred Stock is engaged in hostility towards the Most Sacred Crown of Oleon, or if they belong to a nation that has committed an Act of Aggression against the Crown of Oleon, all income from their properties within the Region of Trade shall be placed into a Trust under the supervision of the Directeur and Lieutenants of the RNTC until such a time that hostility and aggression ceases.

A Share of Preferred Stock grants the Holder the right to a Dividend. Said Dividend shall be include all excess Doubloon Reserves divided by the total number of Shares of Preferred Stock Outstanding. Furthermore, the Dividend shall include ninety percent of  the RNTC’s Total Revenue less Total Upkeep Expenses less fifty percent of the cost of any properties, ships or troops lost in MCRA actions, divided by the total number of Shares of Preferred Stock Outstanding. Total Revenue shall not include any doubloons derived some the issuance of Shares of Common and Preferred Stock. The right to a Dividend shall face no limitations, and shall be enforced on a quarterly basis.

All Rights Shall be granted to Shareholders of Record as of the last day of the month.

As of the date of this Royal Charter, a Share of Preferred Stock may be purchased for a price of 210 Doubloons. Hereon, the price for a Share of Preferred Stock shall be set at six times the average dividend for the three most recent quarters. Should dividends for any of the three most recent quarters be unavailable, a value of 35 Doubloons shall be substituted. The price for a Share of Preferred Stock shall be subject to approval and modification by the Most Sacred Crown of Oleon.

For all Issuances of Shares of Preferred Stock, the Most Sacred Crown of Oleon shall have the opportunity to purchase a Share of Preferred Stock at a cost not to exceed the cost of the Issuance.

Be it done, that on the Sixteenth Day of the Twelfth Month of the First Year of His Divine Reign, King Philip the First bestows this Royal Charter upon the Royal New Terra Company.

Vive le Roi

31310403400_509f2f8fa7.jpg                             31682830085_11a8e18d1d_m.jpg

FAQ:

Q: Does Preferred Stock also include Common Stock benefits?

A: No, stock only includes rights specifically laid out in the Charter

Q: Are Preferred Stock benefits cumulative?

A: Yes, rights are assigned to shares, not individuals. As such, one shares grants one dividend, five properties, and one ship, two shares grant two dividends, ten properties and two ships, and so on.

Q: Can I sell my shares of stock?
A: Common Stock is non-transferable by Order of the King. Preferred Stock may be sold without restriction from the RNTC or Oleon. Nonetheless, since rights are attached to shares, be warned that by selling your shares, you will also sell your rights to own properties in Regions of Trade.

Q: What if I own properties in a Region of Trade but don’t own Preferred Stock?

A: Pre-Region of Trade properties are grandfathered in and do not count against Preferred Stock properties. They may be bought and sold without any restrictions from the RNTC. If you own Preferred Stock and properties but wish to sell your Preferred Stock, the RNTC may purchase your properties from you.

Q: Say I'm a foreigner, can I buy stock?

A: Okay, "I'm a foreigner, can I buy stock?":grin: Of course, just be sure to read all of Article VI to understand the rights granted to foreign owners.

Q: Are dividends guaranteed?

A: No. If granted, dividends will be paid out on a per share basis, but there is no guarantee the RNTC will be required to grant dividends. Of course, the RNTC can always issue a dividend larger than what is required by the Charter.

Examples of Stock Price and Dividend Calculations

1. PS PRICE: Preferred Stock prices depend on the three most recent dividends. As of now, there have been no dividends issued, so we assume 35 DBs per share for the past three quarters ([35+35+35]/3). This amount if then multiplied by six (35*6=210).  In subsequent months, if the dividend increases, the price will also increase. For example, assume the next dividend is 41 DBs/Share. Then, the equation becomes

[35+35+41]/3=37 DBs as the average dividend.

37*6=222 which would be the new share price.

Individuals can sell shares at whatever price they choose. The above calculations simply state what it will cost to purchase a share directly from the company. But be warned, the RNTC is not required to issue additional shares!

2. PS DIVIDENDS: Dividends takes 90% of revenue minus upkeep and 75% of any properties lost in the MCRA action. That is the standard dividend pool. Note that the RNTC’s account cannot exceed the lesser of 2,000 DBs or 25 percent of the total value of all troops, ships, and properties held at the beginning of the MCRA period (basically it includes anything that is lost or destroyed). Any excess over these limitations is added to the dividend pool. The total dividend pool is equally distributed among each share of Preferred Stock.

Assume the company has two 5Ts, a company of 30 men, 6 preferred shares outstanding,  and a Treasury of 220 DBs. That means the ships are valued at 400DBs a piece and there is an upkeep of 18 DBs for the troops. Assume one ship earns 600 DBs in trade while the other sinks.

[.90*600]-18-[ .75*400]=222 DBs.

That is the total amount to be distributed in the dividend. The remaining 378 DBs are added to the RNTC’s treasury.

According to the Charter, the treasury cannot exceed 25 percent of the cost of units or 2,000 DBs. As such, the treasury cannot exceed 220 DBs

.25*[400+400+80]=220

Remember that the company has the opportunity to repurchase lost ships before this limitation is implemented. Accordingly, the Treasury’s ending balance is the beginning balance plus net income not distributed less the cost to repurchase the ship

220+378-400=198 DBs.

In this case, there is no additional dividend since the Treasury’s ending balance is below the 220 DB threshold. As such, the dividend pool of 222 DBs is divided by the total number of preferred shares outstanding..

222/6=37 DBs/Share.

Had the ending balance been above the threshold, all DBs above the threshold would be added to the dividend pool.

Other Relevant Information

As with all of Oleon, the RNTC is subordinate to the Most Sacred Crown of Oleon on all issues. Through the Directeur and Intendant Général des Finances, the RNTC attempts to sway the King, but is ultimately bound by the Crown’s decisions. That said, the RNTC makes no secret of its desire to grow in power and strength, often putting it at odds with the Order of the Faith, Oleon’s largest, oldest, and arguably most powerful organization. Both vie for power in the Royal Court as well as in the new colonies. Nonetheless, conflict with the Order is not a trivial matter and the conflict rarely extends beyond Court diplomacy. The RNTC doesn’t dare deny the Order access to Regions of Trade for any reason.

Most RNTC settlements are focused on commerce, with large markets, warehouses, and banking houses being commonplace. Though loyalty to the Crown is absolute, the seal and flag of the RNTC are far likelier to adorn buildings than royal symbols, and ships or officials bearing the company’s flag and seal are given precedence over Servants of the Crown. Most official buildings are built following traditional Oleandish architectural principles, but it is not uncommon for other buildings in RNTC-controlled settlements to include local architecture alongside designs from the homeland. With absolute authority over all inter-settlement trade within a Region of Trade, RNTC soldiers and officers are on constant patrol for unauthorized ships to seize and contraband merchandise to destroy. Still, corruption is not unheard of, especially among enlisted soldiers and officials in backwater ports.

In general, RNTC officials and soldiers are better paid than their government counterparts, but they lack the honor and prestige of serving the Crown. Gangs of RNTC sailors and Royal Marines often shout insults at each other and occasionally get into rowdy barroom brawls. Officials tend to be more civilized in the rivalry, with RNTC officials hosting lavish dinners to display their wealth while royal officers rarely miss an opportunity to remind their hosts that even the smallest cutter can search, seize, and impress men from the largest indiaman.

The RNTC has its own naval and land forces. On sea, the RNTC has large indiamen to haul riches throughout Oleon’s realm. These ships are commanded by officers wearing uniforms very similar to those of the Royal Navy. For especially valuable cargos, RNTC marines will be stationed aboard the ships, but usually the company prefers the smallest crew possible. Passengers, from poor immigrants to wealthy lords, are commonplace on RNTC vessels. By land, soldiers wear uniforms similar to those of their royal counterparts, but with noticeable differences. Blue coats are the most common, but black and red breeches are worn in place of the white ones donned by royal troops. The tricorn is most popular, instead of tall shakos, and epaulettes are often blue or red, instead of pure white. Native allies, under the command of Oleander officers, comprise whole units in the RNTC’s forces, being cheaper to employ and very willing to attack rival natives that resist RNTC rule. These forces will often wear local headgear and use traditional weapons alongside the standard RNTC uniform and musket. The RNTC has some cavalry forces, but they are often lightly armed, sometimes with nothing more than a carbine and saber. Their primary purpose is to catch smugglers landing on the coast, but they can also be useful in putting down native resistance or restless locals.

RNTC Officials

Directeur: Pierre Lavalette Genaro (Captain Genaro)

Lieutenants: N/A  

Current Holders of Preferred Shares:

List

List of RNTC Settlements:

Lavalette, Stéphanique

List of RNTC Monopolies:

Wine, silver

List of Public Filings: 

Edited by Captain Genaro

Subjects of the Brick Seas,

It is my pleasure to present to you, on behalf of His Most Sacred Majesty, King Philip the First of Oleon, The Royal New Terra Company (RNTC). It is His Majesty's hope that this company will soon prosper, bringing great wealth to all of its shareholders. At this time, the RNTC is prepared to sell 20 Shares of Preferred Stock, with a maximum purchase of two shares per person. For two days, purchasing shall be limited to Loyal Subjects of His Most Sacred Majesty, after which it shall be open to all Subjects of Halos and New Terra.

For His Majesty,

31645643486_27bb86f079_m.jpg 

Pierre Lavalette Genaro  

Duc de Vele, Pair d'Oleon, et Intendant General des Finances d' Oleon  

Granoleon, Dec. 16th, 616AE

Two of those preferred stocky things for me, please :grin: Plus, one of the other kind, too :excited:

Hope this doesn't put me on Calida's death list... right behind the Intendant... :look: :laugh:

So as a foreigner I may not buy a preferred stock but may buy a common stock? May foreigners buy more than one common stock?

Fontonajo for one has always been on very friendly terms with Oleon: See here or see here for examples. So he will definitely be interested in investing.

Edited by Elostirion

8 minutes ago, Elostirion said:

So as a foreigner I may not buy a preferred stock but may buy a common stock?

8 hours ago, Captain Genaro said:

as well as subjects of other nations in good standing with the Crown of Oleon, are hereby granted the privilege to purchase Shares of Preferred Stock

Yes, you can buy shares of preferred stock :thumbup:

Do I have a good standing to Oleon? I might also be interested once the remaining shares are available to everyone (with a good standing)...

6 minutes ago, Legostone said:

Do I have a good standing to Oleon?

Hmm... something tells me you do, in fact. The reason for this, however, remains a mystery... :grin:

2 hours ago, Kolonialbeamter said:

Two of those preferred stocky things for me, please :grin: Plus, one of the other kind, too :excited:

Hope this doesn't put me on Calida's death list... right behind the Intendant... :look: :laugh:

The same for me please! 

If I'm in good standing with Oleon, I am also interested in purchasing preferred stock when it becomes available to foreigners.

3 hours ago, Elostirion said:

May foreigners buy more than one common stock?

I suppose so, but it won't provide any additional benefits. Also, common stock cannot be transferred, which eliminates its value as an investment.

4 hours ago, Kolonialbeamter said:

Please transfer 420 DBs to RNTC.

What's the worst he can do? Hold an inquisition (I'm sure you weren't expecting that:grin:)?

2 hours ago, robinnilsson403 said:

The same for me please! 

Please transfer 420 DBs to RNTC.

Can foreign trade companies (as opposed to individuals) also purchase preferred shares? If so, I believe the Merchant's Colonial Trading Company will also be interested in purchasing shares.

1 hour ago, Capt Wolf said:

Can foreign trade companies (as opposed to individuals) also purchase preferred shares?

There is nothing against it in the Charter, but right now players will be given preference when it comes to buying shares. Of course, the MCTC could try to buy shares on the secondary market.

Victor Servadac, would like to buy one common stock and two preferred stocks. Partly because I appreciate Oleon architecture and would love to see more of it, partly because I like to see how you solve these joint ventures, and partly because I don't know what to do with my money. If I am in good standing with Oleon.

Guy K. Wyndzon hopes he's in good standing with Oleon.  After all, he wrote a really nice apology on behalf of the King. :pir-grin:  He would like a share of common stock and two of preferred stock.  Because, like Victor Servadac, he doesn't know what to do with his money, either.  That doesn't mean however that before actually signing anything he wouldn't like to see what the price for common stock is. :pir-laugh:

...Wait, I thought non-Oleanders were supposed to wait for 2 days before stock could be purchased or claimed? If this isn't the case I'll also claim to be reserving 2 preferred shares. I'll also offer a 5LA ready to be licensed by the 30th of this month if there would be the need for one, but only if I get the shares.

3 minutes ago, Legostone said:

I'll also claim to be reserving 2 preferred shares. I'll also offer a 5LA ready to be licensed by the 30th of this month if there would be the need for one, but only if I get the shares.

No worries, you are the second foreigner in line, so there should be some left :wink:

And what a generous gesture :blush:

49 minutes ago, Kai NRG said:

Guy K. Wyndzon hopes he's in good standing with Oleon.  After all, he wrote a really nice apology on behalf of the King. :pir-grin:

:grin:

21 minutes ago, Legostone said:

I'll also offer a 5LA ready to be licensed by the 30th of this month if there would be the need for one, but only if I get the shares.

Hey, there are plenty of folks in Eslandola who would be interested in buying a 5LA... :wink:

1 hour ago, Legostone said:

...Wait, I thought non-Oleanders were supposed to wait for 2 days before stock could be purchased or claimed?

They are, and Lord Vele is perfectly willing to let their letters pile up before he bothers to read them.:grin: 

For about 30 more hours, all stock sales shall be limited to Subjects of Oleon. After that, we'll begin issuing them to foreigners. Given the high levels of interest, we might be unable to supply everyone with 2 shares, but we will do our best.

If this isn't the case I'll also claim to be reserving 2 preferred shares. I'll also offer a 5LA ready to be licensed by the 30th of this month if there would be the need for one, but only if I get the shares.

That's a very generous offer, and I wouldn't be surprised if the company began offering shares in exchange for properties and ships.:wink:

...Wait, I thought non-Oleanders were supposed to wait for 2 days before stock could be purchased or claimed?

They are, and Lord Vele is perfectly willing to let their letters pile up before he bothers to read them.:grin: 

For about 30 more hours, all stock sales shall be limited to Subjects of Oleon. After that, we'll begin issuing them to foreigners. Given the high levels of interest, we might be unable to supply everyone with 2 shares, but we will do our best.

If this isn't the case I'll also claim to be reserving 2 preferred shares. I'll also offer a 5LA ready to be licensed by the 30th of this month if there would be the need for one, but only if I get the shares.

That's a very generous offer, and I wouldn't be surprised if the company began offering shares in exchange for properties and ships.:wink:

Lord Maximilian Damaximus is interested in buying one preferred share.

In return, he donates one property in Trador to the RNTC, giving it a monthly income of 15 db's.

Damaximus is the benefactor of the very popular Cider Pub in Breshaun and has donated the materials for The Dancing Ember (and another ship which is in the making by legendary architect Sebeus).

21 hours ago, Elostirion said:

So as a foreigner I may not buy a preferred stock but may buy a common stock? May foreigners buy more than one common stock?

Fontonajo for one has always been on very friendly terms with Oleon: See here or see here for examples. So he will definitely be interested in investing.

To make it crystal-clear: I would like to buy one common stock and two preferred stock.

Dear Sirs,

The following individuals shall be granted Shares of Preferred Stock. Please transfer the required amount of doubloons at your earliest convenience.

2 Shares (420 DBs):

Kolonialbeamter, robinnilsson403, Captain Genaro, Legostone, Kai NRG, anonymous, Sir Stig, Elostirion

1 Share (210 DBs):

Maxim I, Capt Wolf, Umbra-Manis, blackdeathgr

Shares of Common Stock are currently not available to members of other trade companies. I apologize that this was not made clear in the Charter and for any disappointment this oversight caused.

As a result, all twenty shares of Preferred Stock are accounted for. There are no plans to sell additional shares, but the RNTC is interested in purchasing licenses for properties within its Region of Trade as well as licenses for ships.

Vive le Roi!

Pierre Lavalette Genaro  

Duc de Vele, Pair d'Oleon, et Intendant General des Finances d' Oleon