john cleese

TLG's stupidest decision?

Pupils on the minfigs. Plus the overly complex faces for simple lines like town. I generally dislike the way the simple smile has been supplanted by more complex, less universal ones like the silver sunglasses one or the grey bearded guy.

Rant-ish Statement .....

I just don't understand the general HATE for bley *wacko* ...... to me the use of both new and old colors in most castle MOCs is more realistic. For a space or possibly town moc I can see the need for uniformity but for Castle building I like the "worn" look of the mixed colors .....

As for Lego's "stupidest decision"?

GALIDOR. Hands down.

Hinckley refers to it as frown. The rest of the civilized world calls it rewn :-P

Yes, it's hard to be the only one who's right.

Honestly, I get a little tired of these topics that just want to bash TLC. They always lead back to bley and the whole color change or Galidor and it's just wasted negative energy IMO, and nothing we haven't heard before.

Sorry to rain on your fun rant parade...

The dumbest/stupidest decision is always going to be the one that affects you individually the most.

For me, that decision was/is bley. The colour change brought my LEGO purchases to a crashing halt in 2004. I've picked up a few sets here and there, but my overall LEGO buying habits have been dramatically impeded by what I feel is an incompatability issue. I'm a castle fan first and foremost, so this colour change couldn't have been worse. EVERYTHING I build relies on grey. The death of old (earth toned) grey was pretty much the death of my LEGO purchasing. I still buy sets for figs and occasionally just for the build (UCS falcon), but my brick collecting has really hit a wall.

I would've thought that as a castle fan you'd love light and dark bley since they are supposed to be light and dark "stone"...a much more realistic colour for building grey castle walls, also if you combine light/dark grey and light/dark bley you'll have 4 shades of grey for your castle walls allowing yet even more exciting realism :-D

of course when TLC uses dark-bley for exo-force/space/starwars/city cars and trucks the mechas/spaceships/vehicles look like they're made of clay |-/

in 2004 lego made they're traditional grey's a new grey with a bluish tinge. If you compare any grey piece in a new set to one in an old set the difference is obvious. We refer to the new one as bley. They also changed the shade of brown they use for pieces and we generally refer to this new color as frown.

the new brown looks very much like chocolate brown (I'm guessing that's what TLC was aiming for), vibrant and edible/organic!! the previous brown looked very calm and inert, for me it's choco-brown,

yummy :-)

Edited by lham

TLC's stupidest decision was passing up the production of this set:

post-486-1200896932.jpg

I would've thought that as a castle fan you'd love light and dark bley since they are supposed to be light and dark "stone"...a much more realistic colour for building grey castle walls, also if you combine light/dark grey and light/dark bley you'll have 4 shades of grey for your castle walls allowing yet even more exciting realism :-D

If only :'-( .

As you must be aware, new grey when mixed in healthy portions with old grey makes the old colour look faded or discoloured. It looks like you've mixed two different brands of building blocks together. Still, for folks with smaller collections this probably isn't a big deal.

Hi!

I'm a newbie here but eager to discuss everything that has something to do with my beloved hobby. I usually prefer LEGO train stuff as my user name indicates, but I also have some sets of other themes, of cours, but they are mostly quite old. My love in LEGO space has not been reborn since Blacktron II and Ice Planet. All that came afterwards did not interest me. The same is true for the castle series. I have the Inn and the Black Falcon's Fortress, both legends. I don't have any newer castle sets. So, as I said, I am mostly interested in train sets and city sets to make the whole layout look nicer. By the way, I have 9V trains only and my heart broke into a million pieces when TLC announced that 9V stuff was being discontinued.

I also didn't like the introduction of the new hinges, but I must admit they are more stable than the old ones.

I didn't like it when LEGO introduced the blay colours. Nothing against the new colours if the old ones were still produced. But when blay came out, prieces for old gray bricks on bricklink went up terribly. But I do have some sets with blay in them, of course. The colour change did not make me stop buying LEGO products.

Hi!

I'm a newbie here but eager to discuss everything that has something to do with my beloved hobby. I usually prefer LEGO train stuff as my user name indicates, but I also have some sets of other themes, of cours, but they are mostly quite old. My love in LEGO space has not been reborn since Blacktron II and Ice Planet. All that came afterwards did not interest me. The same is true for the castle series. I have the Inn and the Black Falcon's Fortress, both legends. I don't have any newer castle sets. So, as I said, I am mostly interested in train sets and city sets to make the whole layout look nicer. By the way, I have 9V trains only and my heart broke into a million pieces when TLC announced that 9V stuff was being discontinued.

I also didn't like the introduction of the new hinges, but I must admit they are more stable than the old ones.

I didn't like it when LEGO introduced the blay colours. Nothing against the new colours if the old ones were still produced. But when blay came out, prieces for old gray bricks on bricklink went up terribly. But I do have some sets with blay in them, of course. The colour change did not make me stop buying LEGO products.

Hello legotrainfan. Welcome to the forum. I like your attitude that it didn't stop you from buying LEGO. X-D *y*

Perhaps you can post an introduction topic in the "Hello. My name is..." forum.

hollisbrick, if you click the picture, you'll find out the story behind it.

I think they're worst decision would have to be either World City or flesh tones. Now don't go on and say World city was good, because the ONE good thing that came out of it was the trains. I personally hated their police theme, as it looked very unrealistic, and only a few of their set were brilliant IMO.

.... TLG's stupidest decision?

Hrm.

Lego5.jpg

Yeah, that sums it up pretty well.

- Heir

All I have to say to TLC right now is this:

owned.gif

Galidor Off! :-X

TCW

Edited by TheCloneWalker

.... TLG's stupidest decision?

Hrm.

Lego5.jpg

Yeah, that sums it up pretty well.

- Heir

Hahaha yes this wins handsdown. I forgot about this as it came out during my 'dark ages' but I remember seeing it in a shop catalog and it added a few years on to my dark ages.

Can't believe every one has missed it, the introduction/inclusion of flick missiles into sets. They can make a good set bad and a bad set horrible. And while i understand I never keep most of my sets together the idea of Lego having flick missiles, or even that they exist, bothers me.

The shade used by bley/dark bley is too "new" looking for rock. Sure you can use it as some expensive stone that's been used in a grand castle, but it's not appropriate for most castles or really for rock faces etc. I know because here in Ireland our countryside mostly consists of rocks, stone walls and castles, between the bogs, fields and hedgerows.

That said, bley is here to stay. I buy sets with lots of bley, and I do mix it with the old colours as you describe. I appreciate others may be sick of hearing people complain about bley, and I certainly don't expect it to acheive anything. Nevertheless, even if people are happy to use bley (and I am one of those people) it's misleading to describe the shade as looking like real stone.

Mini-fig dimensions.

I mean, they probably didn't realize in the late 70s that these little suckers were going to be the face of Lego for the next 30 years.

They're cute. I love them but...they're short and stumpy and hard to build around.

-Tohst

Can't believe every one has missed it, the introduction/inclusion of flick missiles into sets. They can make a good set bad and a bad set horrible. And while i understand I never keep most of my sets together the idea of Lego having flick missiles, or even that they exist, bothers me.

I personally like them, as they're easier to produce than the larger missiles, they don't hurt as much, and they're starting to improve on the design. *y*

Bley!

(Surprise X-D )

The shade used by bley/dark bley is too "new" looking for rock. Sure you can use it as some expensive stone that's been used in a grand castle, but it's not appropriate for most castles or really for rock faces etc. I know because here in Ireland our countryside mostly consists of rocks, stone walls and castles, between the bogs, fields and hedgerows.

*y*

Closely followed by the introduction of fleshies. Why disconnect two lego worlds when the whole point of lego used to be interlocking pieces (sets/themes etc)?

God Bless,

Nathan

Hello legotrainfan. Welcome to the forum. I like your attitude that it didn't stop you from buying LEGO. X-D *y*

Perhaps you can post an introduction topic in the "Hello. My name is..." forum.

hollisbrick, if you click the picture, you'll find out the story behind it.

then your right hinkley, it is one of the stupid decisions that lego made, but be positive or i'll winge at you :-P

Oh yes, two more I forgot. (Thanks to Norro for reminding me of this one;) Fleshies. Why try to make little plastic figures look more realistic by adding flesh colour to the skin? Yellow people is classic Lego, fleshy Lego is just weird.

And the other bad decision? Dropping the Spider-man license! I'd kill for an official Venom minifig, and a Sandman one, it would be so neat! And the new goblin. And Symbiote Spidey. *wub* Why sell off to Megabloks when there was only one movie left? :'-( It's just so sad... :'-(

~Peace

Perhaps the worst decision was to diversify as far as they did beyond their core product. Thankfully they've cut way back, and have refocused on the brick.

My main objection with fleshies, the concept aside, is the vile hue chosen to represent "white" people. I mean how did they come up with such an obnoxious lurid light pink colour. It's not remotely skin-like. Something more subdued would be far better, and if the right hue was used, could be used for tanned skin as well as pale skin.

Oh yes, two more I forgot. (Thanks to Norro for reminding me of this one;) Fleshies. Why try to make little plastic figures look more realistic by adding flesh colour to the skin? Yellow people is classic Lego, fleshy Lego is just weird.

And the other bad decision? Dropping the Spider-man license! I'd kill for an official Venom minifig, and a Sandman one, it would be so neat! And the new goblin. And Symbiote Spidey. *wub* Why sell off to Megabloks when there was only one movie left? :'-( It's just so sad... :'-(

~Peace

i agree :'-( SM 3 figs would be awsome!!!!!!!

but on the fleshie thing i thnks it's alright, as long as they only have them for licensed products..

Perhaps the worst decision was to diversify as far as they did beyond their core product. Thankfully they've cut way back, and have refocused on the brick.

I also have to agree. Few even know of the failure that was Znaps.

3582-1.jpg

Was kindof like Lego trying to copy K'nex. Ironically, Ive seen the new K'nex including stud-bricks :-P